• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic nausea

lenora

Kalina....Don't assume that just b/c those doctors didn't give you any hope that there isn't someone out there who does recognize the symptoms and what they mean. We've all been through doctors who haven't helped; and yes, I agree it's a grueling, mind-numbing thing to have to do.

Also, a neurologist isn't just for ordering MRI's. He should have ruled out other causes for your symptoms...did he? I know it's horribly frustrating for you, it would be for any of us and many of us have been through that same feeling, whether it's caused by an insurance company (as in my case) or tests that were "lost" (again, like me), or so, so many other things. I'm sure you could read a host of them if people wrote in. I would still encourage you to number your symptoms...I think a pattern may emerge. Feel better....Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

lenora

Kalina i send my heartfelt sympathies. 12 years ago aged 70 i had a flue shot and was hit by ME/CFS not long after. Vomiting and diarreah plus arrythmia unable to stand unaided, one year bed rest and daily shots B12 and Magnesium. I lost 4 stone in as many months. But my dear girl there is light at end of thhe tunnel! I discovered Lorazepam *1 mg. which stopped the nausea! Google it. It was a miracle I have relapses a week in bed now and then but it is nothing like as bad as that first year! It will pass....feed your immune system good stuff. Read book Plague by Dr Judy Mikovitzs. Currently back in bestsellers list in US. She wil tell you what your condition is and how you got it. Xx

Hello lookinglass, we haven't "conversed" before.

I haven't read 'Plague' yet but will be sure to do so. I'll order it today. Yes, I'm afraid that our immune systems are shot, but can slowly be rebuilt with time. Sometimes I think we're the ones who give them permission to be that way. How many of us make certain they're properly nurtured (and nutured). I know I'm quite guilt of that myself. I can't bear the thought of food, yet if it's prepped for me, I'll eat it little by little. My husband's now making a crispy salad for me that I'll eat during the rest of the week. With some egg (I hate eggs), and fish with it, I'll be nurturing my body. Oh, how I hate going into these spells. I hope you recover soon and can enjoy some of our almost-finished spring days. Yours, Lenora.

Also, a neurologist isn't just for ordering MRI's. He should have ruled out other causes for your symptoms...did he?
No, she didn’t. She assumed that I have just eating disorder and anxiety and gave me olanzapine. 🙁 I didn’t go to another neurologist after that. It’s so frustrating when the docs treat me like a crazy person, especially after I started taking that olanzapine, which works really great for severe nausea. “Oh, you take olanzapine? Then it’s all in your head. You are either crazy or depressed or have anorexia nervosa.” That’s what they think.

lenora

Hello Kalina......It's OK for you to be a stronger sounding patient. Not rude, but tell her upfront that you don't have an eating disorder and you think it's unfair that you were branded with one.

Tell her that you're very ill and would appreciate her help as life is difficult and you have responsibilities that must be met. She can't check you for intestinal problems, but may be able to get you an immediate referral to a Gastroenterologist who can. Be sure to tell her that the medicine isn't working and no, you aren't imagining things.

Also, have you had any blood tests? The number for anemia would be important. Don't be afraid....like it or not, your body is telling you that something is out of balance...somewhere. Again, I have anemia myself and, of course, they want to do all sorts of tests that I can't withstand at this time. Besides, in my case I think it's a poor diet and taking too much blood daily that threw me into it. If it isn't better within the next week, then I'd be the first in line to go ahead with tests. Ask for a copy of the test, or at least to look at it when it comes in. Look for numbers that are off the chart or close to it. Instead of making you seem like you're someone to walk over, I think it will have the effect that you're a capable woman who is able to follow her own care. Go ahead and make the appt. (or have them, if that's how it's done). You can alway cancel them if things improve. Yours, Lenora.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Because it drives me crazy, it has been a year and I can’t endure the shock of waking up so nauseous anymore.

I missed this thread when it first appeared. Here is a mix of things that have worked for some people to relieve their nausea. I haven't read the other posts in the thread because I'm so tired right now so apologies if I list something that has already been discussed.

*Histamine*
From Plum on PR:
Nausea for me is histamine related. Food allergies, high histamine foods. meat that isn't fresh etc all cause bad nausea for me. Low histamine diet and the occasional antihistamine aimed at nausea helps me.

*Coca-cola*
From CCC on PR:
Not sure if this helps, but we've had a doctor tell a family member with severe gut issues to sip coca cola just 1 teaspooon at a time to manage nausea. It worked well.

From Rufous McKinney on PR:
I knew several pregnant women with severe morning sickness who could only consume coca cola.

*Mix of reasons*
from Crux on PR:
Zofran is an anti-emetic that antagonizes 5HT 3 receptors. If serotonin is stuck in the gut, nausea can result.
B-6 may help to metabolize the serotonin, relieving nausea, if that's the cause.

Increasing gut acid can help nausea. HCl, ACV, etc.

When my cortisol gets low, I get nauseous. I'll take salt tablets to stop the vomit. The chloride is the active ingredient.

Liver trouble can also cause nausea.

*Acupressure P6 point*
There is an acupressure point on the wrists that can be manually stimulated to help relieve nausea and motion sickness.

*Relief Band*
The Relief Band is an electronic device that sends small electrical pulses into the P6 acupressure point so you don't need to manually stimulate it. It has been clinically tested and has FDA approval.

Misc tips:
* A few quick sniffs of rubbing alcohol (don't overdo it!) can sometimes relieve nausea
* Activated charcoal - for stomach related nausea
* Baking soda - 1/8 - 1/2 tsp in 1/2 glass warm water. Seems to help some chemo patients quickly even when nausea medications don't work.

Hello, @PatJ. Thank you for this compilation of advice, the are easy to try and I already tried some of them in the past. I hope you feel better today.

I have the worst stomach pain and heartburn in months. I thought those symptoms were over, but here I am suffering. My esophageal biopsy will come out next week, I hope it shows sth helpful. I would send it for coxsakie testing, but our lab runs only coronavirus tests these days. I took esomeprazole 40mg, but no improvement. If any of you had ever done a gastroscopy, did you also feel worse after it?

So my stomach and esophagus biopsy showed mild esophagitis and gastritis. My stomach still hurts, as I made the mistake to drink aloe. Aloe is acidic, I don’t really understand how anyone ever cured their stomach with this. I am on Nexium and domperidone and waiting for a miracle.

lenora

So my stomach and esophagus biopsy showed mild esophagitis and gastritis. My stomach still hurts, as I made the mistake to drink aloe. Aloe is acidic, I don’t really understand how anyone ever cured their stomach with this. I am on Nexium and domperidone and waiting for a miracle.

I'm sorry that you've been under the weather Kalina. No, I've never had much luck with aloe for anything, including cuts. Now black pepper heals a wound nicely and no, it doesn't hurt when you put it in or on the troublesome area. I found that out when I badly injured a foot with dropping a knife on it. It was a deep cut, but we had just read about black pepper and I decided to give it a try. It healed and never even left much of a scar...I'll definitely use it again. But aloe? No.

I don't know what to suggest for your stomach pain but now isn't the time to start anything new, anyway. I hope the pain will soon stop. You'll have to keep an eye on your esophagitis and gastritis, but I'm sure the Dr. told you. I'm glad it wasn't more serious and shouldn't be if you keep up with regular testing. Yours, Lenora

lenora

Black pepper on a cut? Wow!

Indeed....and it worked. As a matter of fact, just before typing this I looked for a scar on the foot it was on. Nope, nothing there. I was pretty surprised that it healed so well myself. I tend to walk the middle path between natural cures and medical ones. I've seen both sides. Just don't get the pepper in your eye, please. Yours Lenora

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Black pepper on a cut? Wow!

Cayenne works too. I used it on a deep-ish cut on my finger. It didn't hurt on application, didn't hurt while healing, and the cut healed without any scarring. Cayenne is also an anti-coagulant so it helps to reduce blood flow.

From Dr. Maggie Luther, ND:
Capsaicin, one of cayenne’s active constituents, stimulates the release of something known as “substance P” in the body. Substance P is released from nerve cells and the inflammatory cells of the immune system. Substance P is most noted for its role in helping the body perceive pain, and in stimulating the release of various cytokines to induce a healthy inflammatory response.

Cayenne also dilates blood vessels, which allows for more anti-inflammatory cells to make their way to the affected area. When substance P is released and subsequently depleted, as is the case when you repeatedly apply cayenne, the threshold of pain in that area increases. This is also known as pain desensitization.

@lenora, are you sure it didn’t burn? It’s the first time I hear about this usage of black pepper. Well, I will try it on an external cut next time, thank you for the tip. My stomach has been giving me hard time for a year now and PPIs give me side effects, they worsen my nausea and increase my anxiety, so I can’t take them in high doses for a long time. I read about many natural remedies, the next one to try is cabbage juice. DGL, that has helped so many ppl, burns me. Slippery elm burns me too. So strange.

lenora

Cayenne works too. I used it on a deep-ish cut on my finger. It didn't hurt on application, didn't hurt while healing, and the cut healed without any scarring. Cayenne is also an anti-coagulant so it helps to reduce blood flow.

Dr. Luther....I tried Capsaicin years ago when it first came out as a cream. It didn't work for my type of pain then, but as we know there are so many different types of it and causes. I'd be willing to try it again as I'm sure improvements have been made, newer formulas, etc. Thanks for the reminder. I hurt my back in a fall and my usual compound cream isn't working. Yes, the black pepper worked very well, didn't hurt and was a pleasant surprise. Yours, Lenora

lenora

@lenora, are you sure it didn’t burn? It’s the first time I hear about this usage of black pepper. Well, I will try it on an external cut next time, thank you for the tip. My stomach has been giving me hard time for a year now and PPIs give me side effects, they worsen my nausea and increase my anxiety, so I can’t take them in high doses for a long time. I read about many natural remedies, the next one to try is cabbage juice. DGL, that has helped so many ppl, burns me. Slippery elm burns me too. So strange.

No, Kalina, the black pepper didn't burn. It also didn't take long to heal. I've never tried cabbage juice but it sounds a bit dicey for someone with stomach problems. I'm sure someone on here has tried it and can give you firsthand information. Well, you don't want to increase your anxiety, do you? That can be a hard one to live with. I know, I've lived with it for years. Can your doctor prescribe something to get the nausea under control. It's not much fun to live with. Feel better. Yours, Lenora

@PatJ, thank you, I didn’t know that connection of cayenne with substance P. I found that ginger inhibits substance P, decreasing the nausea this way. Apart from substance P, I think the first thing that spices do is increasing the stomach acid, so maybe they shouldn’t be used for gastritis. I used ginger and it burnt badly.

lenora

@PatJ, thank you, I didn’t know that connection of cayenne with substance P. I found that ginger inhibits substance P, decreasing the nausea this way. Apart from substance P, I think the first thing that spices do is increasing the stomach acid, so maybe they shouldn’t be used for gastritis. I used ginger and it burnt badly.

Kalina.....Have you tried over the counter Emetrol? Sweet things generally help with nausea. It is very sweet, but I don't think it's terribly expensive. I know it has worked for me in the past....that and some deep, slow breathing.