• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic Fatigue Sufferers May Be Asked to Avoid Donating Blood (US AABB)

muffin

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere here yet, but here goes:

Chronic Fatigue Sufferers May Be Asked to Avoid Donating Blood http://www.microbeworld.org/index.p...y&view=article&id=3925&tmpl=component&print=1

submitted by Garth Hogan on June 14, 2010

Tags: blood, chronic, donation, fatigue, infection, virus, XMRV
Source: blogs.wsj.com

There’s been a flurry of activity by experts trying to suss out if the virus XMRV, which has been associated with chronic fatigue syndrome, poses a threat to the U.S. blood supply.

On Friday, Louis Katz, executive vice-president of medical affairs at Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center in Davenport, Iowa, and a member of the AABB task force studying the issue, gave his own latest assessment of the situation: People who have been diagnosed by a doctor with CFS should not donate blood, at least not at this point. (The AABB is an association that includes the facilities that collect virtually all of the U.S. blood supply.)

Last October, a paper in the journal Science linked XMRV — first discovered in 2006 — to CFS, which affects an estimated 17 million people worldwide. Since then, public health officials have been racing to learn more. Although it still isn’t yet known whether XMRV causes CFS or any other disease, there are concerns that the virus might be transmitted through blood donations.

Friday’s teleconference was held by the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Katz said — emphasizing that the AABB task force’s recommendations aren’t out yet and he was speaking for himself — that the latest draft versions recommend to AABB members that potential donors who currently have or have had CFS be advised they should not give blood.

WSJ's blog on health and the business of health. "
WSJ Blogs AABB task force’s
June 14, 2010, 2:32 PM ET
Chronic Fatigue Sufferers May Be Asked to Avoid Donating Blood

There’s been a flurry of activity by experts trying to suss out if the virus XMRV, which has been associated with chronic fatigue syndrome, poses a threat to the U.S. blood supply.
On Friday, Louis Katz, executive vice-president of medical affairs at Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center in Davenport, Iowa, and a member of the AABB task force studying the issue, gave his own latest assessment of the situation: People who have been diagnosed by a doctor with CFS should not donate blood, at least not at this point. (The AABB is an association that includes the facilities that collect virtually all of the U.S. blood supply.)
Last October, a paper in the journal Science linked XMRV — first discovered in 2006 — to CFS, which affects an estimated 17 million people worldwide. Since then, public health officials have been racing to learn more. Although it still isn’t yet known whether XMRV causes CFS or any other disease, there are concerns that the virus might be transmitted through blood donations.

Friday’s teleconference was held by the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Katz said — emphasizing that the AABB task force’s recommendations aren’t out yet and he was speaking for himself — that the latest draft versions recommend to AABB members that potential donors who currently have or have had CFS be advised they should not give blood.
Jennifer Garfinkel, a spokesperson for AABB, says that facilities that collect blood must follow FDA blood donation guidelines, which currently do not restrict people with CFS from giving blood. The AABB recognizes that it will take time for the FDA to make a decision since the science about XMRV is still being worked out, she says. In the meantime, AABB will advise that member organizations start building awareness among donors and ask those with CFS not to donate, she says.
Since the study in Science was published, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand have barred people with CFS from donating blood.
Katz says that in materials his center is preparing to distribute, potential donors’ contact information will be requested so that if future studies indicate XMRV is not transmitted through the blood or is deemed not to be harmful, the center can get in touch with them. “I don’t want to lose blood donors I don’t need to lose,’’ Katz says. “If XMRV turns out not to be important, we want to get them back.’’

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Woof Woof Muffin!

I think the Wall Street Journal one was posted this weekend but, I'm really glad you posted this again because I think it may be a marker of what is going on behind the scenes.

I know there are about a dozen studies at least that haven't been published yet and the CDC's study is one of them. I think it is likely that the DHHS and NIH are waiting to release a flurry of studies and information all together. A big blizzard of paper (studies) released at once instead of trickling it out a bit at a time will stop the ping pong attacks.

If they are getting ready to propose a ban on blood donation that could well mean that the studies are in our favor. (grins)

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Another one from Time Magazine Online

Giving blood: no gay men, chronic fatigue patients?

Read more: http://wellness.blogs.time.com/2010...ue-patients/?xid=rss-topstories#ixzz0qxss5A7p

Last week a public health committee charged with making recommendations on U.S. government policy regarding blood donation decided in favor of upholding a current rule prohibiting men who have sex with men from donating blood, the Los Angeles Times reports. In a separate recommendation, the Wall Street Journal health blog reports that a researcher investigating the XMRV virus, which has been linked to chronic fatigue syndrome, suggested that, until the relationship between the virus and chronic fatigue is more clearly understood, patients diagnosed with the disorder should not give blood.

So looks like that will be the recommendation. I wonder when it will be official???

muffin

Woof back at ya George! I have now seen this article in several different places including the TIME health blog. Sorry if I posted something already posted!

"Friday’s teleconference was held by the American Society for Clinical Pathology. Katz said — emphasizing that the AABB task force’s recommendations aren’t out yet and he was speaking for himself — that the latest draft versions recommend to AABB members that potential donors who currently have or have had CFS be advised they should not give blood"

Given that Katz is "speaking for himself" (an odd thing to do before formal announcements are made, I think), does suggest that "they" the many "theys" have found XMRV in the blood supply, thus vindicating WPI. We will have to keep watch on the US AABB to see what their formal announcement says. Probably they will "suggest" that CFIDers not donate blood/organs - just to cover their behinds either way.

In any event, once I got sick with CFIDS I realized that it would be dangerous for me to give blood and pass whatever all I had on to others. My internist said not to give blood since I didn't have enough and was just too sick to do so. He is correct but i also can not even think about me giving someone else what I have suffered with for 16 miserable years.