• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cholesterol

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
hi,
My last blood test also showed elevated LDL cholesterol, my HDL and triglyerides are good. Asked my doc about niacin to lower this. He said he had a patient of his who takes a non-flushing type of niacin which he orders from overseas and it has helped lower his cholesterol. He was going to get back to me with info on this, but in the mean time after seeing a naturopath in the chemist and googling i think i have found it, its called inositol hexanicotinate. I prefer to stay with natural stuff for now as on too many drugs as it is, lol. Also have heard that cholestrol drugs can lower a persons Q10 levels.

Has anyone used this stuff for high cholesterol and what dosages did you use??

cheers

Otis

Señor Mumbler
My Dr. prescribed me niacin. If I recall, he wanted to get me to 2000mg, which is quite a bit. I started out with 250mg caps and tried to work my way up.

Time release niacin helps minimize flush but it doesn't eliminate it. Apparently some things are advertised as flush free niacin that don't have the active ingredient so check the label.

Unfortunately because I started getting low grade fevers and then started feeling warm even when my body temp was normal I had to stop. I'm extremely sensitive to any kind of flush so I imagine most people won't have a problem.

My strategy was to take the niacin at bed so as to sleep through any flush which helped.

One other note. Since in my case I had to try to build up slowly my Dr. told me that if I stopped the niacin that I'd have to build up the tolerance to the flush again. May no be a problem depending on your tolerance and your target dosage.

Hope that helps,
Otis

alice1

I had high cholesterol a few years back.My doc put me on some pharma crap and that lasted for 3 days.It made feel terrible.
I've since been on a these pills that are made from red yeast rice.The brand I get is Vitamost and it has CHL on the bottle.It's suppose to be illegal here(some health food stores keep it under the counter) but after 1 month of 2 pills daily then the secong month at 1 pill daily
my numbers went down by 3 points which satisfied my doc.I've seen adverts for red yeast rice on the net but they may only say good for the heart because they can't say lowers cholesterol.Good Luck.

MEKoan

I am a thin, vegetarian who doesn't even eat a lot of cheese and I have had high cholesterol since my 20s. Because I'm a thin vegetarian, my GPs have always simply shaken their heads at this strange curiosity and moved along without making any recommendations. All the women in my mother's side of the family die of heart attacks at about 80. But, they all also kept their uteruses their whole lives and mine was removed at 33. (Then there's all the ME/CFS cardiac stuff and shortened life span stuff but we won't even bother factoring that in.) So... if that puts me about 25 years ahead of schedu

thud

Diva55

Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10

Hi Heaps
My cholesterol has been high all my life. The doctors seemed to think it was genetic especially when I was first diagnosed I was a very skinny vegetarian.

Recently in UK values it was 7.0 when it should be below 5.0.

My GP wanted me to take the dreaded Statins :eek:which I refused. Statins are known to cause muscle weakness & fatigue which I have enough of already!

I bought Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10 incorporated & my cholesterol was reduced from 7.0 to 6.3 in a matter of months. 6.3 being the lowest it's ever been!

It is vital that when you take either Statins or Red Yeast Rice that you take CoQ10. Chemical or natural remedies do deplete CoQ10. I read somewhere that in Canada that Statins state on the pack that you have to supplement with CoQ10.

A combined Red Yeast Rice with CoQ10 is quite cheap - got it from Iherb.

hi,
I prefer to stay with natural stuff for now as on too many drugs as it is, lol. Also have heard that cholestrol drugs can lower a persons Q10 levels.

Chris

Cholesterol stuffs

Hi, a few notes on cholesterol lowering; red rice yeast is a naturally occuring form of statin--though apparently it does raise HDL a bit, which is nice. I am not sure it is really that much better than a prescription statin, however, which would get you more respect from the docs.

There are other things that lower cholesterol; maybe Policosanol, though recent studies have declared it does not work (and neither, apparently, does the no-flush version of niacin), and there is a bit (just a bit) of evidence that Neptune Krill Oil both lowers LDL and raises HDL --and gives you the EPA and DHA of omega-3 at the same time.

There is also a bit of evidence that Sytrinol, derived from citrus flavonoids, also lowers cholesterol, as do plant sterols--there are a couple of formula including these, such as Natural Factors Cholesterol Formula.

Recent work has shown that statins do damage to muscle mitochondria even when patients do not complain about pain or weakness, so they are probably not the way for us to go--I quite some time ago, and a developing neuropathy in my feet is slowly reversing. Just going strict low fat vegetarian (a la Caldwell Esselstyn and Dean Ornish) does lower cholesterol pretty well for most, though Esselstyn adds a low dose of statins to his recommendations. Both of them are thinking cardiac artery and not CFS, however.

Best, Chris

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
thanks mr happy, going do a trial run of 1000mg at night and get tested in 3 months, will keep everyone informed, i have heard that i will probably need a second dose in the morning but will wait for tests. My doc has a patient on inosiol hex and his numbers came down, wait and see, suppose evryone is different but wont no unless u have a go.

cheers!!

Krill Doctor Professional

My Dad has been suffering from high cholesterol level, our dietician asked as to use Krill Oil
instead of Fish oil. I have found many brands for Krill Oil and tried many but none of them worked
so well as Krill Doctor Professional, it has decent price and ships free. I hope it helps.