• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chocolate intolerance

Overstressed

Besides lots of food intolerance I have, I was wondering if someone shares the intolerance against chocolate with me ? When I eat chocolate, I immediately experience increasing tinnitus. I used to eat a lot of chocolate, and Belgium has lots and the best of it.

Chocolate greetings,
OS.

HopingSince88

Thank goodness, I don't have this problem. I am not addicted to chocolate...I can keep it in the house and not gobble it down. But I like to have a small piece every few days.

Kati

Patient in training
Overstressed, I am sorry to hear that chocolate is not your best friend anymore :ashamed::Retro mad:

In my case I don't push the envelope in terms of chocolate but when I eat it, my insides get suddenly happy! :D

awol

Chocolate is what brought me to Switzerland and alas, I too should not eat it anymore. I say should because it is something that is very difficult to stay away from completely...we need our small pleasures that are left right?!

For me it is just part of a general sensitivity to beans of all kinds. Something about bean proteins causes a range of reactions.

caledonia

My chocolate intolerance consisted of feeling extremely anxious from even the tiniest amount due to extreme caffeine intolerance. At one point I even had trouble with decaffeinated cocoa powder!

Now that I've gotten some help for my adrenal fatigue, I can eat a square or two of dark chocolate again.

Caffeine can aggravate tinnitus - are you having problems with other caffeine bearing products - coffee, tea, etc.?

Overstressed

Hi Caledonia,

not really, but with the milk in the coffee, because of lactose intolerance. If I take Betaserc(anti-histamine) before, then I can handle it better.

OS.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
I too have a reduced tolerance to chocolate. I still have small amounts. I also like dark chocolate but I have to avoid it because of a caffeine intolerance.

girlinthesnow

I haven't noticed tinnitus with caffeine but it triggers migraine and then GI symptoms too yucky to go into detail.

I loved it too awol, European chocolate was a revelation after the poor, often rancid, North American version.

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Chocolate is OK for me on my intollerence testing, but I get symptoms from it so who knows why. Since chocolate tested ok for me I even tried plain cocoa and it bothers me. I also noticed this with canned tomatoes and tomatoes are supposed to be ok for me according to my intollerence testing.

glen

Carrigon

With me, it's the acid reflux. I can rarely eat chocolate or have hot cocoa anymore because it means bad heartburn pain for me. Chocolate has also given me migraines sometimes. Seems to depend on a combo of the chocolate and hormones and I'll end up with a bad migraine.

girlinthesnow

Hi Carrigon,

Migraine does seem linked to monthly cycles, particularly the latter half, just when a cup of hot chocolate or a large bar of dark chocolate is exactly what I crave, just have to go for a hot bath and a bowl of raisins and pecans instead!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Chocolate is what brought me to Switzerland

I went interrailing through Europe when I was a student and one day when travelling through Switzerland, our train went past a huge building with "Lindt" in massive letters on the side. Before I knew what I was doing I had leapt to my feet and was pointing out the window shouting, "Look! Look! It's the Lindt chocolate factory!" No sophistication, then or now! :ashamed:

Gutted to hear about your chocolate problem, Overstressed (your choice of name surely not a coincidence). :worried:

sensing progress

you are certainly not alone, overstressed. I too can't tolerate chocolate, even in tiny amounts. I think it is really a general intolerance to caffeine. Couple days ago I had four small squares of dark chocolate (only about a third of a serving, according to the label), and it gave me an awful headache that is only now going away. I miss chocolate terribly.