• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chest rash associated with monthy cycle

girlinthesnow

I develop a rash on my chest during the last few days of my cycle. It doesn't seem to be associated with body temperature ( I am always cold). Does anyone else get this?

Athene

ihateticks.me
What does it look like?
I get a chest rash but it is basically very red itchy skin, no spots or anything. It comes on really rapidly, nearly always in the evening.

when you day the last few days of yr cycle, do you mean as part of pmt? I ve had various skin probs, they seem to be part and parcel of m.e. It often gets worse then, but nothing as specific as you are describing

girlinthesnow

Hi Athene, Noro,

Noro, It comes at the end of my monthly cycle, the last 2 or 3 days and looks like a kind of heat rash but without any fever. Athene what you describe sounds like an allergic reaction. Possible?
I posted this because I've thought it might be a viral symptom tied to fluctuating hormone levels.

ukxmrv

Does it come on with a sweat around your lower neck / top of chest?

I'm also cold all the time (and rarely sweat) but with what I think is a reaction to the high progesterone part of my cycle.

xmrv+

girlinthesnow

Thanks xmrv, I think this is right, a reaction to high progesterone. Yes, I have the sweaty neck and chest thing too!

lululowry

I get a terrible itchiness between and under my breasts. It feels like a rash, and of course, after I have been madly scratching, it's red, but it doesn't really look like a rash (ie bumpy). It drives me crazy. It's "invisible" and it feels like I should have huge hives or something.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi lulowry,
I get EXACTLY the same thing. Somrtimes I have to hide away and remove my bra so I can scratch myself madly!!!
Girlintehsnow,
I've also thought my redness could be an allergic reaction, but I just cannot figure out what it could be to. It comes on at a certain time of the month so I do think hormones have something to do with it.
There is a link somewhere on the forum to an article saying you can be alllergic to your own hormones - oestrogen or progesterone, I forget which. I wonder if that could be relevent to this?

girlinthesnow

Athene,

The thread is 'Allergy to Estrogen and Progesterone'. It refers to migraine type allergy but I don't know why it couldn't include skin allergic reactions and probably does? I remember reading Dr Mikovits saying on the early TV interviews that happened just after the Science paper was published (you can probably still find them on youtube) that she thought the higher rate of ME among women was because of these sex hormones and the monthly cycling of them.

ukxmrv

Lululowery,

Not sure if this is the same thing but thought that I might mention it. I had a thrush type problem under my breasts which responded to a tea tree wash or type of creams used for candida. Don't get it now but used to. Hope that helps someone.

lululower & Athene,

as well as what ukxmrv said above, try to keep the area dry, especially after a shower, from sweat etc as that will help.

SaraM

Athene,

The thread is 'Allergy to Estrogen and Progesterone'. It refers to migraine type allergy but I don't know why it couldn't include skin allergic reactions and probably does? I remember reading Dr Mikovits saying on the early TV interviews that happened just after the Science paper was published (you can probably still find them on youtube) that she thought the higher rate of ME among women was because of these sex hormones and the monthly cycling of them.

Interesting point. I cannot agree with Dr.Mikovits more. I have a very high estrogen level which has caused lots of problems. I have large hyperpigmented patches on my forehead and upper back. The skin on the abodmen area is darker and I also get a rash on my chest after I eat certain foods such as egg plants and nuts.

girlinthesnow

Anecdotally there seems to be a link between fluctuating sex hormones, allergic-type reactions and viral activation. But what is the connection?

How does this work?

lululowry

Athene-SO nice to know I am not alone - NOT that I would with this particular symptom on anyone! And yes, I have done the very same thing! : )

ukxmrv- thank you for the tea tree oil suggestion! I have used tea tree oil for other things but it hadn't occurred to me to try it on this.

I do feel like I am having a reaction to something systemically- I have mild itching on arms, neck, and legs at the same time. As my cycle recedes, so does the itching...