• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cheney 'Can structured or certain natural waters be of benefit to CFS'

Chris

Hi, guys; got my Santevia filter up and working (takes some time!) and can report that it does produce a clearly visible change in the colour of the simple Ph strip I am using, which is designed for urine testing rather than water, I believe, but does register differences among various waters. It suggests that my tap water (very soft, rather acidic) Ph of about 6.2 has been shifted to maybe around 7--will check again later, and try to get a more sensitive testing kit. It certainly tastes and feels good. But the thing is large! Much cheaper than the ion based shifters, however, and more ecological than perpetually buying and lugging bottled water. Will experment further with ways of raising the Ph. Best, Chris

Dreambirdie

work in progress
We are so lucky here in Santa Cruz, to be one of the few communities WITHOUT FLUORIDE in the H20. The political battle over this has been endless and relentless. Tho fluoride is definitely not the only chemical to be concerned with.

I've used a Hydrotech r.o. filter for 15 years--it's the best water for me. I have to change the filters more often than normal people (twice as often), and the yoga under the sink routine can be a bitch, but it's easier than lugging five gallon bottles from the water store.

I've never checked the Ph and now I'm curious. Where do you get the test strips?

That's the problem w/water where I live - it is definitely fluoridated. LOL dreambirdie - yoga under the sink! :)

I would definitely purchase an RO filter if I could afford - I don't like the lugging back/forth either (but am getting my son to do that :) I'm also not crazy about companies that "add" various minerals back in - I just want to know exactly which ones are being added, not just lumped into some "trace minerals" label.

Thanks for the tip on that filter, dannybex - just bookmarked it; looks like that could be the one, once cash flow improves :)

Chris

Santevia filter

Hi, got some more sensitive Ph testing kits--inexpensive, made by Hagen in Germany and called Nutrafin--intended for aquarium use. According to that, my tap water is around 6.8, mildly acidic, and the water out of the Santevia filter is way up--too blue to measure accurately by this means, but seems to be above 8.6. So the alkalizing process really works! And it tastes just fine. Best, Chris

Chris

Hi, if anyone is still following this thread--have discovered another alkalizing filter, that in some ways looks better than the Santevia thing (big, clumsy, slow); made by AquaSmart, it comes in one, two, or three stage versions, and they make an alkalizing stage that they list as an option (they also list a specific fluoride filter stage option) for the three stage thing, but I see no reason why it could not be used in a two stage set-up. This filter is a faucet connected counter-top thing, looks neat and not too large; not cheap, but.... Anyway, I list it just in case anyone is interested in following up Cheney's suggestion, but has not found a suitable way of implementing it yet. Best, Chris