• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ChatGPT says Long Covid will be cured before ME/CFS

sometexan84

These are screenshots from what I just asked ChatGPT...

1716351223597.png

1716351272394.png

hapl808

The models are not deterministic, so if you ask it five times, you'll get some varying answers. Also, did your conversation have more to it, because usually GPT will give more details. This is what I got on GPT4o:

Predicting the timeline for a cure for Long Covid is highly uncertain due to the complexities involved in medical research and development. However, based on current research and advancements, here are some considerations for each timeline:

A) Within two years: This is highly optimistic. While significant progress has been made in understanding Long Covid, developing a definitive cure involves rigorous clinical trials and validation, which typically take longer than two years.

B) Five years or less: This is a more realistic yet still optimistic timeframe. With ongoing research, some treatments or therapies may become available within this period, but a complete cure might still be ambitious.

C) Ten years or less: This timeframe is more plausible. It allows for comprehensive research, multiple phases of clinical trials, and regulatory approvals, which are essential steps in the development of any cure.

D) 20 years or less: This is the most conservative estimate and offers a high probability. Within this period, significant advancements in medical research, understanding of Long Covid, and development of effective treatments are likely.

Given the current state of medical research and historical timelines for developing cures for complex conditions, C) Ten years or less appears to be a reasonable expectation. However, this is speculative and dependent on many variables, including research funding, scientific breakthroughs, and public health initiatives.

But I think it's a pretty reasonable supposition that Long Covid may be addressed before ME/CFS just going by attention and funding. Hopefully Long Covid and ME/CFS have enough similarities that treatments work on both.

BrightCandle

I have no doubt Long Covid will see treatments before ME/CFS. Currently about 5% of research on Long Covid even mentions ME/CFS, its very much an afterthought and any findings they make on Long Covid they always suggest maybe in the future they will test ME/CFS, the funding for which never comes. So even if the treatment is the same the trials and approval will come for Long Covid long before it does for ME/CFS.

There is a weird effect due to the pandemic however where basically no one was getting an ME/CFS diagnosis over the past 4 years, because its 10x more likely to be Long Covid. But as time goes on and the belief in Doctors of Covid still being present and a problem drops Long Covid diagnosis is also dropping and gradually being replaced with ME/CFS again. Diagnosis rates of Long Covid have been even worse than ME/CFS so far (all be it a LOT faster in the lucky few) so regardless the big problem is going to be getting diagnosis and treatment to a lot of people who have been misdiagnosed.

I doubt medicine accepts the science of a big trial in under a decade, they have way too much bigotry built up over decades to just accept the findings of any studies in diseases they don't believe in to begin with.

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
huh, i love to play with AI aswell. i found perplexity.ai to be a decent source for playing thought games aswell.

well i use chatgpt for some things and its useful. but also i have asked it questions where i knew the answer to and what i knew wasnt even in the answer of chatgpt. you have to take it with a grain of salt. to my understanding it is also in a way trained by humans and it is fed the kind of information the developers want it to and tha tis represented in the answers. that makes it seem less intelligent actually but just a reflection of their creators.

Artemisia

And I don't have confidence that long covid patients are going to pull us along with any progress they make, or advocate for us. I saw someone on Long covid Reddit saying that they didn't like meCFS people trying to hijack long covid for our own "agendas." Despite people with ME advocating for long covid since 2020. Maybe that's not a typical attitude for people with long covid. Idk.

Regardless, I've never been of the mind that long covid research will save us. But I differ from most people in that I don't have much hope that any kind of research or medical treatment will really help. I just have zero trust or faith in scientific medical industries after everything they've done to us for decades.

Last edited:
Yes, long covid will get the funding because everyone believes it is a real disease. Whereas me/cfs is still regarded by many as psychosomatic including many doctors. However, if long covid often leads to ME then they will be working on that too so it might benefit us in the long run.

I suspect you are right. Long covid is brought on by disease which is a trigger for many of us. The symptoms, many of them are similar. Its really our best hope for a cure since there are a lot of covid cases and that means a big demand for treatments and cures

hapl808

Twenty years ago was 2003.

so over the course of a twenty year window, what really happened in the Dept of Major Breakthrus?

Yep. I've been reading this forum for over 10 years (didn't sign up initially). Not much has changed, despite 'promising' research and reports.

That said, ironically AI is one of the few things that I think has a real possibility to help. In the last 20 years, medicine has done...well, almost nothing. Same drugs, same lack of care, same lack of research progress.

AI has improved a mind-boggling amount in the last few years. Five years ago, it could spit out nonsense that almost sounded like English. Now, it gives better answers than any doctor I've had in 25 years of suffering with this. Out of those 50 doctors where they keep saying 'consult a professional', not a single one has answered about ME/CFS type stuff with the knowledge (or caring) of LLMs.

I don't think LLMs will fix us, but other AI systems could probably do it, if they just had the input data. Our horrific system of EHR walled gardens, limited proper data collection, etc - that is probably one of our biggest enemies to living a real life.

Back