• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

chatgpt for supporting cfs research and as tool to assist the sickend?

lint7

Is that why I could actually find the papers used in the references ChatGPT gave me? Wow that is disappointing. Do you know if it will give valid references if they exist? Is there any way to avoid the bunk references? Does this happen in the developer playground as well? (sorry so many questions, this is all new to me!)

I'm not sure if there is a way for it to give you real sources, but any time that I have asked they have been fake. Some of the authors are real, but the articles don't exist and often the journals don't exist.

Hip

I've started to use ChatGPT to search for medical and scientific information. It does not always provide useful answers (and sometimes part of its answer can be incorrect), but I find ChatGPT can be a useful tool, and a shortcut to getting information faster.

For example, I was recently looking for a substances that can disrupt Enterococcus faecalis biofilm, so I asked ChatGPT "What substances can disrupt Enterococcus faecalis biofilm?"

ChatGPT then returned this answer:
What substances can disrupt Enterococcus faecalis biofilm?

Several substances have been shown to disrupt Enterococcus faecalis biofilms, including antibiotics (such as vancomycin and ciprofloxacin), quaternary ammonium compounds, and plant-derived compounds (such as cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, and thymol).

After getting such an answer, it's also a good idea to press the Regenerate button, to get ChatGPT to answer the same question again. Often these re-answers will provide further info. When I got ChatGPT to answer the question again, I got this answer:

What substances can disrupt Enterococcus faecalis biofilm?

1. Quaternary Ammonium Compounds (QACs)
2. Polymyxin B
3. Daptomycin
4. Chitosan
5. Silver nanoparticles
6. Essential oils
7. Nisin
8. Lysozyme
9. Hydrogen peroxide
10. EDTA

You can hit the Regenerate button as many times as you like, and you get slightly different answers each time.

It's a good idea to double-check everything on Google, as sometimes ChatGPT provides false information. For example, when I Googled, I could not find any confirmation that quaternary ammonium compounds break down Enterococcus faecalis biofilm.

@linusbert's suggestion to use the developer version of ChatGPT is a good one, as I find the developer version always works, whereas the normal ChatGPT is sometimes busy.

hapl808

There's another version (not sure if it's the same back end data) called you.com that I find much better for a starting point in medical research. It still will cite nonexistent things weirdly, but ChatGPT gets a lot of things mixed up like increase vs decrease, antagonist vs agonist, etc. For some reason, you.com seems much better. I pasted your question @Shanti1 and got made up references, but here's the answer to the actual question itself. You.com is also more concise than ChatGPT, which I find helpful for a 'discussion' about medical things.

What antioxidants can be helpful for 8-deoxy-2'hydroxyguanosine? provide references.

8-deoxy-2'-hydroxyguanosine (8-OHDG) is a biomarker of oxidative stress and DNA damage. Antioxidants can be helpful in reducing 8-OHDG levels. Antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E, as well as polyphenols and carotenoids, have been shown to reduce oxidative stress and DNA damage [1,2,3]. Additionally, certain types of metals, such as zinc, selenium, and iron, have also been found to have beneficial antioxidant properties [4].

The listed references seem nonsense like ChatGPT, though.

hapl808

What herbs and supplements can help with glutamate toxicity?

ChatGPT
There is limited evidence to support the use of herbs and supplements for reducing glutamate toxicity. However, some herbs and supplements that have been studied for their potential neuroprotective effects include:

• Bacopa monnieri: An herb commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine that has shown some evidence of reducing oxidative stress and inflammation, which are thought to play a role in glutamate toxicity.
  • N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC): A supplement that has been studied for its ability to reduce oxidative stress and enhance glutathione levels, which are thought to play a role in reducing the toxic effects of glutamate.
  • Ashwagandha: An herb commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine that has been shown to have neuroprotective effects, reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, and enhance brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels, which are important for nerve growth and survival.
  • Curcumin: A compound found in turmeric that has been shown to have neuroprotective effects, reduce oxidative stress and inflammation, and enhance BDNF levels.
It's important to note that while these herbs and supplements have shown some promise in preliminary studies, more research is needed to fully understand their effects on glutamate toxicity. Additionally, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional before using any new herb or supplement, as they can interact with other medications and have side effects.

YOU.COM
There are several herbs and supplements that can help reduce glutamate toxicity. Some of these include:
• Magnesium: Magnesium helps to block glutamate receptors, preventing overexcitation of neurons. • Vitamin D: Vitamin D can help protect neurons from glutamate-induced toxicity. • Vitamin C: Vitamin C is an antioxidant that can help reduce oxidative stress caused by glutamate. • Omega-3 fatty acids: Omega-3 fatty acids are anti-inflammatory and can help protect neurons from glutamate toxicity. • Astragalus: Astragalus is an herb that may help protect neurons from glutamate toxicity. • Green tea: Green tea contains polyphenols that can help reduce glutamate toxicity. • Cannabis sativa L (THC): THC has been shown to reduce glutamate levels and protect neurons from glutamate-induced toxicity [1].

1. Glutamate Blockers? Natural Ways/Supplements To Improve ...
https://drvanta.com/natural-ways-supplements-to-improve-glutamate-levels/

Balancing Your Glutamate Neurotransmitter Level Naturally | Be ...
https://bebrainfit.com/glutamate-neurotransmitter/

Balancing Excess Glutamate and GABA Deficiencies: Supplements ...
https://www.naturalmentalhealth.com/blog/balancing-GABA-deficiencies-excess-glutamate-supplements-herbs

hapl808

The ability to 'continue a conversation' is invaluable. I asked YOU.COM in the same thread:

What about ashwagandha?

Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is a well-known Indian medicinal plant that has been shown to have antioxidative [1], antistress, antigenotoxic, and neuroprotective properties. It can help reduce glutamate toxicity and protect neurons from glutamate-induced toxicity. Additionally, it may help protect against GABAergic neurodegeneration due to neuroleptic-induced excitotoxicity and reduce oxidative stress caused by glutamate [2]. It may also help reduce the levels of glutamate in the brain and protect neurons from glutamate-induced toxicity.

1. Glioprotective Effects of Ashwagandha Leaf Extract against Lead ...
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2014/182029/

2. An Overview on Ashwagandha: A Rasayana (Rejuvenator) of ...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3252722/

Ashwagandha's Brain Benefits - Life Extension
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2021/7/ashwagandha-brain-benefits

Shanti1

Administrator
@hapl808 Thanks for sharing that, interesting that the answers to on ChatGPT and you.com were actually pretty different. I'm going to play around with you.com too. Its too bad about the references, but its early days, I'm sure they will figure a way to fix that at some point, hopefully soon!

Hip

ChatGPT seems to accurately sum up Simon Wessely:
Why is Professor Simon Wessely disliked by chronic fatigue syndrome patients?

Professor Simon Wessely is a researcher and clinician who has been studying and treating patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), for many years. While he has made significant contributions to our understanding of CFS, some patients and advocates in the CFS community have taken issue with his views and approach to the condition.

One reason why some CFS patients dislike Professor Wessely is that he has been a proponent of the "biopsychosocial" model of CFS, which suggests that the condition is primarily a psychological disorder and that the physical symptoms can be explained by psychological and social factors such as stress, anxiety, and depression. This view has been controversial in the CFS community, as many patients believe that their symptoms are primarily physical and that they are not being taken seriously by the medical community.

Additionally, some patients and advocates have criticized Professor Wessely for his views on the management of CFS, which have included advocating for a more active approach to treatment, such as graded exercise therapy, and for downplaying the role of biomedical treatments such as antiviral medications and supplements.

Methyl90

I live in Italy but even using a VPN service it seems to be disabled. It's normal ?

Hip

I live in Italy but even using a VPN service it seems to be disabled. It's normal ?

I read a newspaper article yesterday saying that Italy has temporarily banned ChatGPT over some concerns about user privacy. But with a VPN, you should be able to bypass that ban, if the VPN places you in another country.

There is also an Android / iPhone app called Nova which gives access to ChatGPT, though I believe you have to pay for it after the free trial is over.

hapl808

Yeah, because of the ban OpenAI has geoblocked Italian users to comply. But the right VPN that is good enough to fool them should make it still work I think? Like Netflix or others, maybe different VPNs will give different results.

Methyl90

I succeeded thanks, unfortunately but now it asks me for an American phone number to verify the number and identity.

linusbert

this is ridicolous, the fascism in the west is getting worse everyday. we need VPNs and hacks and burner phones to use a website. glorified KI search engine. how insane is this?
maybe we need to move to another country/area which allows for more freedom... like CHINA :mad:

almost

AI search is a new tool for me that I've been using for just over a week. It's cool, but the different answers from different platforms, some of which contradict, is interesting. I would guess it's due to the different base websites and resources they search.

I ran the same question @hapl808 asked, this time to Bingchat AI. Here's the result:
What herbs and supplements can help with glutamate toxicity?
There are several herbs and supplements that can help with glutamate toxicity. Some of these include:
It’s important to note that everyone is different, so it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement or herb regimen. Is there anything else you would like to know? 😊
Asking a provided follow-up produced this:
Are there any foods that can help with glutamate toxicity?
Yes, there are several foods that can help with glutamate toxicity. Some of these include:
It’s important to note that everyone is different, so it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplement or herb regimen. Is there anything else you would like to know? 😊
So again, some different answers.

I guess it helps to organize results, but certainly doesn't relieve me of the due diligence of checking facts. It may be artificial, but may not be intelligent.

hapl808

So again, some different answers.

I guess it helps to organize results, but certainly doesn't relieve me of the due diligence of checking facts. It may be artificial, but may not be intelligent.

I'm not sure what you mean by that? If you do a manual Google search, you will find varying and sometimes contradictory information on this topic - it's far from settled.

That said, neither Google nor AI nor licensed physician nor forum should relieve you from the due diligence of checking facts. There are very few sources I'd take at face value for something like this. But like you said, it's a great way to start off with organized results - saves me a lot of time.

almost

neither Google nor AI nor licensed physician nor forum should relieve you from the due diligence of checking facts
I didn't say it did, I was trying to emphasize that I still hold ultimate responsibility. I would bet we're on the far right side of this bell curve, however. among the population at large.

hapl808

It's also worth rephrasing or asking specifics and you can get some differing results. I'll often ask the same questions in many different ways.

For anyone experimenting, GPT4 (the paid version) is probably the best at the moment. Claude-Instant is also good, but its information is more 'loose' in that it will suggest stuff if there's any reports even if they're contradictory. Claude-2 is a bit too conservative - not as accurate as GPT4, not as free wheeling as Claude-Instant. Bard sucks and basically refuses to answer health related questions. Bing is incredibly variable. Although it supposedly is run on GPT4, the answers are mostly inferior in my experience.

There's also a platform called Poe where you can access many models in one place.

There are other models, but these are by far the most popular.

linusbert

It's also worth rephrasing or asking specifics and you can get some differing results. I'll often ask the same questions in many different ways.

For anyone experimenting, GPT4 (the paid version) is probably the best at the moment. Claude-Instant is also good, but its information is more 'loose' in that it will suggest stuff if there's any reports even if they're contradictory. Claude-2 is a bit too conservative - not as accurate as GPT4, not as free wheeling as Claude-Instant. Bard sucks and basically refuses to answer health related questions. Bing is incredibly variable. Although it supposedly is run on GPT4, the answers are mostly inferior in my experience.

There's also a platform called Poe where you can access many models in one place.

There are other models, but these are by far the most popular.
on the openai website are tutorials how to do better prompts. one thing is to ask the AI to imagine the answer and check if it makes sense and then do the answer, especially for technical things. but i couldnt figure this out yet.

the funny thing, there is a complete new programming language - i call it that way - coming up, they call it prompt engineering... i call it programming language for AI. its nothing else.
it also kinda defeats the purpose of natural language processing if you need to resort to a specific language and rules.

but then again, for us software engineers a greast opportinity, we just learn that then and people pay us to ask the AI... funny.. silly... but if healthy i would invest fully into it.