• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chasing the Money: Chase Community Giving Contest to Start Soon

Chase_Community_Giving.jpg
Opportunity Knocks! The Chase Contest for Non-profits Has Begun!

The Chase Giving Contest is back and with it the opportunity to get cash-starved ME/CFS non-profits some real cash. All it takes is your vote and spreading the word for the next two weeks (Sept 6-19th). This, in the world of non-profits is a remarkably easy (if nerve-wracking) way to make money…
Over the past two years Phoenix Rising has played a key role in getting Chase to pump over $170,000 into ME/CFS non-profits coffers and now we and eight other organizations are in the contest. The Top 200 vote getters this year will win from 10K to 250K.

Where We Are Now - Because you only have two votes we suggest that you focus them on organizations with a good chance of winning. In this blog we're going to focus on the top two vote-getters; Phoenix Rising and the Neuro Immune Disease Alliance or NIDA, an ME/CFS research funder. On the fourth day of the two week contest here's where the organizations that are strongly in the running are...
  • Neuro Immune Disease Alliance - #68 - $20K
  • Phoenix Rising An NEID Corporation - #96 - 20K
To Vote on Facebook

NOTE: The Chase FB site is overloaded at times, so if it behaves weirdly, please try again later!

If you do not have a Facebook Account - go to www.facebook.com and quickly create a page. Since you must ‘like’ Community Chase Giving first in order to vote go to Community Chase’s Facebook page http://www.facebook.com. Each person has two votes (plus a possible bonus vote, see below).

If You Have a Facebook Account

1. Go to Phoenix Rising's page athttp://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361

(Or type NEID in the box "Search Charities".) "Phoenix Rising, an NEID corporation" will appear. Click “Vote”. If it asks you to "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes. Then click the Like and Send buttons to spread the word about Phoenix Rising and the contest.

2. Then go to NIDA's page: http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-2861703

(Or type NIDA in the box “"Search charities".) "Neuro Immune Disease Alliance" will appear. Click "Vote". At the question "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes. Then click the Like and Send buttons to spread the word about Phoenix Rising and the contest.

To Vote From Chase (all Chase customers)
Chase Bank and Facebook Users- can vote for the same organization twice...If you get a Bonus vote you can vote for an organization a third time.

The Bonus Vote

A Bonus Vote is an extra vote you can win and then use to vote for any organization you wish. In the grand tradition of Chase Giving the bonus vote is a complicated but getting Bonus votes could make a big difference...We're going to explain as simply as possible how to get an extra vote. If it's too much - forget about the Bonus vote strategy and just vote!

To Get a Bonus Vote

Sharing Content - To get a bonus vote Chase wants you to share an organization you like with a friend and then have them vote for that organization.
  • the person voting for the organization must click on your link and then vote without going to any other pages..
  • you only get one Bonus Vote..
How to Share An Organization

a) Go to Phoenix Rising's page athttp://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361 and then click the like button to put the organization on your Timeline. Then ask one of your Facebook Friends to click on it and vote...You'll then get a Bonus you can use to vote for Phoenix Rising or another organization, including ones you already voted for.

b) For Family and Friends - Clicking on the 'Send' button is a great way to get a string going with family and friends. Click the Send button will send the organization's profile to a person's Facebook page, their email address or to their twitter account.

For instance, I'm asking my brother, Cass, to vote for Phoenix Risng An NEID Organization and NIDA. I will get a bonus vote when my brother votes. He will ask his partner to vote for the two organizations; once his partner has done that Cass will get a vote. Then his partner will send a message to my sister, who will send the message to her husband to his son etc. As long as the string continues everyone gets 3 instead of 2 votes.

You can also try The Bonus Vote Exchange we created.

We've created a Bonus Vote Exchange on Phoenix Rising to try and facilitate this process. Check it out here... For more information on how to vote check out this Forum thread or contact me at Cort@phoenixrising.me

Phoenix Rising's Winnings

Phoenix Rising has several projects it could spend the winnings on. Check some of them our here:
  • Rate a Practitioner program - to help ME/CFS patients save time, money and improve their health by finding good doctors and avoiding bad ones
  • Community Rising program - to break up the isolation and connect people in their local communities, provide avenues for assistance, reviews of local clinics and physicians, etc.
  • Making the Forums More Accessible to the Visually Impaired - upgrading the Forums so that as many as possible can participate.

Please be aware that searching for our org's at the Chase site can be tricky. Phoenix Rising is listed as Phoenix Rising An NEID Corporation. If you just search for Phoenix Rising, several of them pop up. One person voted for the wrong PR.
Thanks for the warning - the names listed on Chase are the names registered with Guidestar - which are not always the names we know the orgs by....here are the ME/CFS organizations I know of

Phoenix Rising An NEID Corporation
Rocky Mountain CFS Association
New Jersey Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Association
Neuroimmune Disease Alliance (NIDA)
Wisconsin Chronic Fatigue Association
Organization for Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Education and Research
HHV-6 Foundation
Enterovirus Foundation

Here's the count as of this morning...NIDA was in the top 100 and Phoenix Rising in the top 150 :)

• Neuroimmune Disease Alliance at 90th place (58 votes)
  • Phoenix Rising An NEID Corporation at #128 (24 votes)
  • New Jersey Chronic Fatigue Association- 8 votes*
  • Rocky Mountain CFS Association, Inc - 8 votes
  • Wisconsin Chronic Fatigue Association - 4 votes,
  • Organization for Fatigue and Fibromyalgia Education and Research - 1 vote
  • HHV-6 Foundation - 0 votes
  • Enterovirus Foundation - 0 votes

Yes it will but I think that's the nature of the contest. The orgs did not get together and agree to support two organizations so that's understandable...I would be doing the same thing :)

Is the contest open to international voting as it was in years past? I have family/ friends who live outside the US and in years past, Chase rules have allowed them to vote. This is especially important to relay to PR members as many are not in the US but might vote if the rules allowed them to and this fact was publicized.
We will be reaching out but we are trying to figure out how the heck to vote first so we can give people instructions. They really make this difficult which is why I detest this contest. :devil: I'm Canadian, btw.

Speaking of difficulty, I tried for hours last night and I could not vote. It would not "Allow" chase although I kept clicking the allow button. I finally switched browsers -- from Safari to Firefox and it worked fine. So if you are having trouble that might be an option.

We will be reaching out but we are trying to figure out how the heck to vote first so we can give people instructions. They really make this difficult which is why I detest this contest. :devil: I'm Canadian, btw.

Speaking of difficulty, I tried for hours last night and I could not vote. It would not "Allow" chase although I kept clicking the allow button. I finally switched browsers -- from Safari to Firefox and it worked fine. So if you are having trouble that might be an option.
Thanks Aileen, Firefox is often a good option if other browsers don't work...

Ok, I picked a partner, I voted for PR (took almost 2 days of trying but finally succeeded). Sent my partner the link by clicking on "Send" option. It showed up on her FB page but wouldn't take her to PR page!!! She ended up not being able to use the link. So I have no bonus vote.
She voted for NIDA and sent me a link. It did work. I clicked on it and voted. My vote was counted but she did not receive her bonus vote. If someone could tell me what went wrong I'd appreciate it.
How on earth am I supposed to write up instructions for other people if I can't even get the bonus vote thing to work myself?? :mad:
Has anyone been successful in getting bonus votes?

Ok, I picked a partner, I voted for PR (took almost 2 days of trying but finally succeeded). Sent my partner the link by clicking on "Send" option. It showed up on her FB page but wouldn't take her to PR page!!! She ended up not being able to use the link. So I have no bonus vote.
She voted for NIDA and sent me a link. It did work. I clicked on it and voted. My vote was counted but she did not receive her bonus vote. If someone could tell me what went wrong I'd appreciate it.
How on earth am I supposed to write up instructions for other people if I can't even get the bonus vote thing to work myself?? :mad:
Jeez...the link wouldn't work....and she didn't get bonus votes....wow...we are having troubles but there is some good news...despite all that

NIDA (Neuro-immune Disease Alliance) is in the top 100 with over 200 votes, Phoenix Rising is just out of the top 200 with 118 votes - we were actually in the bottom 400's yesterday (I counted wrong), Rocky Mountain has 25, New Jersey has 13, OFFER has 8 votes, who am I missing....

Both Phoenix Rising and NIDA moved up quite a bit yesterday - a good sign. I am going to send out newsletters today and hopefully we'll climb more...

Thanks for your persistence Aileen and all the ideas :)

Yep, worked for me! After having voted, I clicked "Like" and then wrote a message to post the link on my wall, and then when someone used that link to vote, I got a notification saying I had earned a bonus vote. NOTE: If you use the "Like" button, it seems important to write something too, not just click like, in order to get the link up on your timeline.

Updated message to use as a template if you like, to send out to friends on Facebook:
(How to reach all your friends? - see next post below):

Friends, please help us raise money for ME/CFS research by voting in the Chase Community Giving Contest. Previous Chase contests have resulted in $170,000 to ME/CFS research – this time we can win some more! Help us by voting – it only takes a few minutes.

Vote before Sept 19. Each person has two votes (plus a possible bonus vote, see below). Here’s how:

NOTE: The Chase FB site is overloaded at times, so if it behaves weirdly, please try again later!

1. Go to Chase Community Giving’s FB page and click “Like” (if you haven’t done this previously).
https://www.facebook.com/ChaseCommunityGiving?ref=ts

2. Go to this page:
http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-2861703
(Or type NIDA in the box “"Search charities".) "Neuro Immune Disease Alliance" will appear. Click "Vote". At the question "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes.

3. Once you have voted, click the "Like" button and - IMPORTANT - write a short message to post it on your timeline. If someone then follows the link and votes you get a bonus vote.

4. Then go to this page:

http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361
(Or type NEID in the box "Search Charities".) "Phoenix Rising, an NEID corporation" will appear. Click “Vote” and then click “Like” and write a short message for your timeline.

5. Send this message on and ask your friends to vote too.

6. If you get a bonus vote, you can use it to vote for NIDA or Phoenix Rising NEID again, but you have to wait a while.

The top 200 organizations will receive $10,000 each.

Many thanks!

How to send a message to all your Facebook friends:

Two ways:

1. You can only send normal messages to 20 people at a time. Open Facebook in two browser windows simultaneously, and in one window, go to Messages; in the other window, go to the list of your friends. Now use the friends list to decide which friends you want to message - and use the Message window to create a message to the first 20 that you see. Then make a second message for the next 20, and so on.

2. Or, you can create an event - that opens up a possibility to send a message to all your Facebook friends, see

Updated message to use as a template if you like, to send out to friends on Facebook:
(How to reach all your friends? - see next post below):

Friends, please help us raise money for ME/CFS research by voting in the Chase Community Giving Contest. Previous Chase contests have resulted in $170,000 to ME/CFS research – this time we can win some more! Help us by voting – it only takes a few minutes.

Vote before Sept 19. Each person has two votes (plus a possible bonus vote, see below). Here’s how:

1. Go to Chase Community Giving’s FB page and click “Like” (if you haven’t done this previously).
https://www.facebook.com/ChaseCommunityGiving?ref=ts

2. Go to this page:
http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-2861703
(Or type NIDA in the box “"Search charities".) "Neuro Immune Disease Alliance" will appear. Click "Vote". At the question "Allow" or "Allow App", click Yes.

3. Once you have voted, click the "Like" button and - IMPORTANT - write a short message to post it on your timeline. If someone then follows the link and votes you get a bonus vote.

4. Then go to this page:
http://fb.chasegiving.com/charity/view/ein/27-3313361
(Or type NEID in the box "Search Charities".) "Phoenix Rising, an NEID corporation" will appear. Click “Vote” and then click “Like” and write a short message for your timeline.

5. Send this message on and ask your friends to vote too.

6. If you get a bonus vote, you can use it to vote for NIDA or Phoenix Rising NEID again, but you have to wait a while.

The top 200 organizations will receive $10,000 each.

Many thanks!
Most of that is really good but if the person votes like this they will not give anyone else a bonus vote. Perhaps ask if before they vote they could get a friend to do it with them? They vote for NIDA as explained but the friend vote for PR and they vote for PR through friends link?

Another correction. The top 200 do not receive $10,000 each. The money breaks down like this:
1st Place: $250,000
2nd - 11th Place: $100,000 each
12th - 46th Place: $50,000 each
47th - 96th Place: $20,000 each
97th - 196th Place: $10,000 each

with my experiences - the best way how to motivate the friends to vote is just to ask directly throught facebook chat. if you are there and you see a friend online - just make a small chat with him. when I do it - almost noone refused it to do it for me. if I sent a message to everyone only few friends voted - the people are just lazy

Thanks Aileen! My estimation is that what matters most is that we get our extended Facebook networks to vote. I have thought hard about the bonus vote, but have realized that if it gets any more complicated than this, my friends won't vote at all... And it's so important that they do!

Every Facebook friend we can involve means two votes for ME/CFS org:s, and if we all involve friends it will grow exponentially, so let's make it simple for them, I think.

Also, I haven't been able to use my bonus vote to vote again for Phoenix Rising or NIDA, even though I've read here that you're supposed to be able to. I have one vote left but can't vote for PR or NIDA anymore. This makes me even more convinced that the power is in getting the word out rather than having complicated strategies among us in the patient community.

I have changed the number to Top 196 in my newly sent messages. Thanks!

with my experiences - the best way how to motivate the friends to vote is just to ask directly throught facebook chat. if you are there and you see a friend online - just make a small chat with him. when I do it - almost noone refused it to do it for me. if I sent a message to everyone only few friends voted - the people are just lazy

Tuha, that is great advice!

Hi, Anne. Just to let you know, I got an alert from FB/Chase, that I have a bonus vote. When I click on the link in that alert, it takes me right to a choice to "use bonus vote" for either Phoenix Rising, or NIDA, the two I voted for to begin with. (I haven't used it yet, waiting to see who will need it). Just fyi.