• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS started from vaping nicotine

Hi all, I've had CFS since I was 18, so about 10 years ago. It all started when I started vaping nicotine, because when I vaped I felt this flu-like feeling until the next day. After a few months, I took a break for a day to see if the feeling went away, and it did. I continued to vape for a few years after that, but when I quit the flu-like feeling never went away. Now it's been around 7 years since I quit and I still feel the same. Besides this, the other reason I believe I have CFS is the PEM I get after doing cardio, though it doesn't seem as bad as it did a few years ago but still definitely prevalent.

I've done many blood tests following the roadmap for testing on Phoenix Rising, the only thing I tested positive for was EBV. And I already had CFS when I got my EBV infection, I remember being sick for a few days and not feeling any different after my mono went away. Does anyone have any suggestions or input on what vaping nicotine might have done to me? Is it just a coincidence I felt this flu-like symptom from vaping, and maybe EBV just continued it? My next step will be to visit a

Gingergrrl

I wanted to share a link w/you in case it is helpful. I don't know if this pertains to your situation but there are cases of lung damage from e-cigarettes & vaping called "EVALI" (e-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury). The symptoms can include breathing and digestive problems, fever, chills, cough, shortness of breath, chest tightness, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/features/vaping-illness-symptoms

Davsey27

Hi all, I've had CFS since I was 18, so about 10 years ago. It all started when I started vaping nicotine, because when I vaped I felt this flu-like feeling until the next day. After a few months, I took a break for a day to see if the feeling went away, and it did. I continued to vape for a few years after that, but when I quit the flu-like feeling never went away. Now it's been around 7 years since I quit and I still feel the same. Besides this, the other reason I believe I have CFS is the PEM I get after doing cardio, though it doesn't seem as bad as it did a few years ago but still definitely prevalent.

I've done many blood tests following the roadmap for testing on Phoenix Rising, the only thing I tested positive for was EBV. And I already had CFS when I got my EBV infection, I remember being sick for a few days and not feeling any different after my mono went away. Does anyone have any suggestions or input on what vaping nicotine might have done to me? Is it just a coincidence I felt this flu-like symptom from vaping, and maybe EBV just continued it? My next step will be to visit a

Yeah perhaps try dropping the vaping

I experimented with nicotine gum and I personally think for me it's better to stay away from that stuff

I find some natural things like sunlight can have dopamine like effects similar to nicotine without the side effects

Frunobulax

Hi all, I've had CFS since I was 18, so about 10 years ago. It all started when I started vaping nicotine, because when I vaped I felt this flu-like feeling until the next day.

It's quite possible that you reacted adversely to something other that was in the liquid. Just make sure you consider this possibility.

I haven't followed vaping for a while, but when I did (a couple of years ago) the consensus seemed to be that nicotine/PG/VG weren't problematic, at least in the vast majority of cases. The problems were caused by the flavors or other added substances. A lot of symptoms were restricted to certain countries, for example.

Nicotine is addictive but very rarely causes health issues in the amounts that typical smokers consume. Now the other ingredients are quite a different story. (Cigarettes for example have hundreds of additives, which are responsible for the carcinogenic effect when burned.)