• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME & FM papers, published since December 2009

leelaplay

Dr. Marc-Alexander Fluks posted this to co-cure today:

if: I can't read today, but there are about 40 papers listed here. It would be interesting to get a rough idea of the psychobabble to factual & helpful psychiatry to assist in coping with the organic disease to biomedical research ratio.

Also would be interesting to see if there are any studies we missed in the last 2 months.

Source: NCBI PubMed
Date: January 20, 2010
URL: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi
Topic=((chronic fatigue) OR (myalgic encephalomyelitis)) OR fibromyalgia
Ref: In the update, you will only find journals that are indexed by Medline (PubMed).
All scientific papers 1938-today, http://www.me-net.combidom.com/library/literature.htm#publications
Search scientific papers, http://www.me-net.combidom.com/library/literature.htm#catalogue
Figures computer analysis scientific papers, http://www.me-net.combidom.com/library/literature.htm#figure
All popular papers 1900-today, http://www.me-net.combidom.com/library/literature.htm#popular

-------------------------------------------------

___ Wolfe F, Michaud K, Li T, Katz RS.
Chronic conditions and health problems in rheumatic diseases: comparisons with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Noninflammatory
Rheumatic Disorders, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, and Fibromyalgia.
J Rheumatol. 2010 Jan 15.
___ Potvin S, Larouche A, Normand E, Souza JB, Gaumond I, Marchand S, Grignon S.
No relationship between the ins del polymorphism of the serotonin transporter promoter and pain perception in
fibromyalgia patients and healthy controls.
Eur J Pain. 2010 Jan 15.
___ Zautra AJ, Fasman R, Davis MC, Craig AD.
The effects of slow breathing on affective responses to pain stimuli: An experimental study.
Pain. 2010 Jan 13.
___ Meeus M, Nijs J, Huybrechts S, Truijen S.
Evidence for generalized hyperalgesia in chronic fatigue syndrome: a case control study.
Clin Rheumatol. 2010 Jan 14.
___ Kean S.
Virology. An indefatigable debate over chronic fatigue syndrome.
Science. 2010 Jan 15;327(5963):254-5.
___ Qin Y, Pang FS, Cai BY.
Changes on definition and diagnostic criteria of the chronic fatigue syndrome [Chinese].
Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2009 Oct;29(10):946-8.
___ Cakit BD, Taskin S, Nacir B, Unlu I, Genc H, Erdem HR.
Comorbidity of fibromyalgia and cervical myofascial pain syndrome.
Clin Rheumatol. 2010 Jan 12.
___ Erlwein O, Kaye S, McClure MO, Weber J, Wills G, Collier D, Wessely S, Cleare A.
Failure to detect the novel retrovirus XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome.
PLoS One. 2010 Jan 6;5(1):e8519.
___ Brenu EW, Staines DR, Baskurt OK, Ashton KJ, Ramos SB, Christy RM, Marshall-Gradisnik SM.
Immune and hemorheological changes in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
J Transl Med. 2010 Jan 11;8(1):1.
___ Clauson KA, Zeng-Treitler Q, Kandula S.
Readability of patient and health care professional targeted dietary supplement leaflets used for Diabetes and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Jan 11.
___ Straube S, Derry S, Moore RA, McQuay HJ.
Pregabalin in fibromyalgia: meta-analysis of efficacy and safety from company clinical trial reports.
Rheumatology (Oxford). 2010 Jan 7.
___ Vallejo MA, Rivera J, Esteve-Vives J, Icaf G.
Development of a self-reporting tool to obtain a Combined Index of Severity of Fibromyalgia (ICAF).
Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2010 Jan 7;8(1):2.
___ Mease PJ.
Further strategies for treating fibromyalgia: the role of serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors.
Am J Med. 2009 Dec;122(12 Suppl):S44-55.
___ Arnold LM.
Strategies for managing fibromyalgia.
Am J Med. 2009 Dec;122(12 Suppl):S31-43.
___ Clauw DJ.
Fibromyalgia: an overview.
Am J Med. 2009 Dec;122(12 Suppl):S3-S13.
___ Bradley LA.
Pathophysiology of fibromyalgia.
Am J Med. 2009 Dec;122(12 Suppl):S22-30.
___ Goldenberg DL.
Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of fibromyalgia.
Am J Med. 2009 Dec;122(12 Suppl):S14-21.
___ Clauw DJ.
Fibromyalgia is a controversial disease.
Am J Med. 2009 Dec;122(12 Suppl):S1-2.
___ Wiborg JF, Knoop H, Stulemeijer M, Prins JB, Bleijenberg G.
How does cognitive behaviour therapy reduce fatigue in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome? The role of physical activity.
Psychol Med. 2010 Jan 5:1-7.
___ Cockshell SJ, Mathias JL.
Cognitive functioning in chronic fatigue syndrome: a meta-analysis.
Psychol Med. 2010 Jan 5:1-15.
___ Briley M.
Drugs to treat fibromyalgia - the transatlantic difference.
Curr Opin Investig Drugs. 2010 Jan;11(1):16-8.
___ Turan T, Izgi HB, Ozsoy S, Tanr?verdi F, Basturk M, Asdemir A,
Besirli A, Esel E, Sofuoglu S.
The effects of Galantamine Hydrobromide treatment on Dehydroepiandrosterone Sulfate and Cortisol levels in patients
with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Psychiatry Investig. 2009 Sep;6(3):204-210. Epub 2009 Jun 23.
___ Luyten P, Van Houdenhove B, Pae CU, Kempke S, Van Wambeke P.
Treatment of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: findings, principles and strategies.
Psychiatry Investig. 2008 Dec;5(4):209-12.
___ Feng J, Zhang Z, Li W, Shen X, Song W, Yang C, Chang F, Longmate J, Marek C, St Amand RP, Krontiris TG, Shively JE, Sommer SS.
Missense mutations in the MEFV gene are associated with fibromyalgia syndrome and correlate with elevated IL-1beta
plasma levels.
PLoS One. 2009 Dec 30;4(12):e8480.
___ Distler O, Eich W, Dokoupilova E, Dvorak Z, Fleck M, Gaubitz M, Hechler M, Jansen JP, Krause A, Bendszus M, Pache L, Reiter R, Muller-Ladner U.
Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of terguride in patients with Fibromyalgia syndrome: Results of a twelve-week,
multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study.
Arthritis Rheum. 2010 Jan;62(1):291-300.
___ Maes M, Twisk FN.
Why myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) may kill you: disorders in the inflammatory and oxidative and nitrosative stress (IO&NS) pathways may explain cardiovascular disorders in ME/CFS.
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2009 Dec 30;30(6).
___ Maes M, Mihaylova I, Kubera M, Uytterhoeven M, Vrydags N, Bosmans E.
Increased 8-hydroxy-deoxyguanosine, a marker of oxidative damage to DNA, in major Depression and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2009 Dec 30;30(6).
___ Maes M.
"Functional" or "psychosomatic" symptoms, e.g. a flu-like malaise, aches and pain and fatigue, are major features of major
and in particular of melancholic depression: time to amend the diagnostic criteria for major depression and rating scales that
measure severity of illness.
Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2009 Nov 29;30(5).
___ Weston S, Townsend S.
Using a DVD to help people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome learn the technique of pacing.
Nurs Times. 2009 Nov 17-23;105(45):26-7.
___ Meeus M, Mistiaen W, Lambrecht L, Nijs J.
Immunological similarities between Cancer and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: the common link to fatigue?
Anticancer Res. 2009 Nov;29(11):4717-26.
___ Wolfe F, Michaud K, Li T, Katz RS.
EQ-5D and SF-36 quality of life measures in Systemic Lupus Erythematosus: Comparisons with Rheumatoid Arthritis,
noninflammatory Rheumatic disorders, and Fibromyalgia.
J Rheumatol. 2009 Dec 23.
___ Chwieduk CM, McCormack PL.
Milnacipran: in fibromyalgia.
Drugs. 2010;70(1):99-108.
___ Staud R.
Pharmacological treatment of fibromyalgia syndrome: new developments.
Drugs. 2010;70(1):1-14.
___ Dobkin PL, Liu A, Abrahamowicz M, Ionescu-Ittu R, Bernatsky S, Goldberger A, Baron M.
Predictors of disability and pain six months after the end of treatment for fibromyalgia.
Clin J Pain. 2010 Jan;26(1):23-9.
___ Tian H, Brimmer DJ, Lin JM, Tumpey AJ, Reeves WC.
Web usage data as a means of evaluating public health messaging and outreach.
J Med Internet Res. 2009 Dec 21;11(4):e52.
___ Rodriguez-Andreu J, Ibanez-Bosch R, Portero-Vazquez A, Masramon X, Rejas J, Galvez R.
Cognitive impairment in patients with Fibromyalgia syndrome as assessed by the Mini-Mental State Examination.
BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2009 Dec 21;10(1):162.
___ Ayan C, Alvarez MJ, Alonso-Cortes B, Barrientos MJ, Valencia M, Martin V.
Health education home-based program in females with Fibromyalgia: a pilot study.
J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2009;22(2):99-105.

--------
(c) 2010 NCBI PubMed

G

George

legitimatcy

Now that Fibromyalgia has been legitimized by the drug companies it seems there is a lot of work being done in that area.

So which comes first the legitimization by the drug company's or legitimization by research??

It seems like a real chicken and egg scenario.

shiso

Agree, George.

And once you HAVE legitimacy, there's a snowball effect: research encourages pharma to invest in R&D, which stirs competition which results in more research and speeds up the pace of research, and the government makes more funding available for more research.

According to the NIH website, available NIH funding for fibro research for 2010 is $13 million; CFS is allotted $3 million. When pressed at CFSAC meetings and the like about why so little for CFS, the NIH woman in charge of CFS offers no explanation.

It's one of those questions that seem so obvious, yet I don't hear it asked very often: why has no drug company (other than the tiny Hermipherx with Ampligen) made a serious attempt to try to capitalize on an effective treatment (if not cure) for 1 million plus CFS patients. As with other chronic (until there's a cure) diseases like MS (500,000 patients and allotted $176 million in 2010 NIH research funding) and Parkinson's (1.5 million patients and $158 million from NIH), where patients may need to be on the drugs for a long time, the potential for profits from CFS is huge for pharma.

And yet - lack of legitimacy, lack of consistent research, skepticism by prestigious medical institutions. Chicken and egg.

:Sign Help:

T

thefreeprisoner

:worried: . o ( wishes for a funny comment from George to lighten the mood, cos this is just depressing)

-Rachel xx

Dolphin

I've said something like this before on other threads but apologies for repeating myself: without biomedical progress, there is a vacuum and psycho-speculators tend to speculate.
If you give to good ME/CFS research funds/raise money for good ME/CFS research funds, they'll fund good biomedical research which will increase the good:bad ratio.
And make psycho-speculators more nervous about their speculation. Without private money, a lot of papers will be cheap research, which is often speculation or questionnaire-based research. And psycho-speculation often begets more psycho-speculation.