• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS caused a late period?

wabi-sabi

The ME/CFS itself probably won't make your period late. The stress of having a terrible illness can make your period irregular, but that's any terrible illness, not just ME/CFS. Huge and sudden fluctuations in body weight can also mess this up.

It also matters how late, when you say late. Anything between 21 and 35 days is a normal cycle length and sometimes people do just fluctuate due to the vagaries of life. While 28 days is an average cycle length, most women don't have a 28 day cycle every month. If it's more than days late, or if the pattern of your periods changes, (like when they come or how heavy they are) that's when it's time to see someone.

Any answers are to be found in the pattern of your cycle. One random late cycle is just that-random. Keep track of the pattern, but if you get scary, heavy bleeding on the meantime see someone about it.

Rufous McKinney

Keep track of the pattern, but if you get scary, heavy bleeding on the meantime see someone about it.

You might read up on declining Progesterone. The balance starts shifting. There are some good books on perimenopause...(which can come on earlier than some think)...and using progesterone creme's if it comes to that.

If I am on chinese traditional herbs and my body is less imbalanced, I don't have many symptoms.

Periods getting later, and heavier- that may be a sign of declining Prog....

You might read up on declining Progesterone. The balance starts shifting. There are some good books on perimenopause...(which can come on earlier than some think)...and using progesterone creme's if it comes to that.

If I am on chinese traditional herbs and my body is less imbalanced, I don't have many symptoms.

Periods getting later, and heavier- that may be a sign of declining Prog....
What kind of herbs?

Rufous McKinney

I'm guessing these herbs are meant for menopausal people. If you're not a menopausal type age you probably want a different treatment.

There are considerable hormone shifts in younger and younger-aged people.

Drops in hormone levels occurring- much earlier than one would expect..that can happen.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
This is from Erica Verrillo's CFS Treatment Guide 2nd Edition:
Due to the endocrine system disturbances produced by CFS/ME, women may experience a number of hormonal changes. In many women some of these changes may have either predated CFS/ME or served as “early warning” symptoms.

In a study led by Anthony Komaroff in 1998, 150 women with CFS/ME were administered questionnaires concerning their reproductive and gynecological history. Women with CFS/ME reported gynecological complications, including irregular cycles, periods of amenorrhea (absence of periods), and sporadic bleeding between menstrual periods prior to contracting the illness. Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) was also reported more often in CFS/ME cases compared with controls. While the researchers did not conclude that these gynecological symptoms caused CFS/ME, they raised the possibility that conditions which decrease progesterone (such as PCOS), may lower immune function, thus paving the way for future problems.

Not surprisingly, clinicians have noted an increase in the number of gynecological conditions among women with CFS/ME after contracting the illness. A study performed by the CDC in 2009 showed that women with CFS/ME not only experience more frequent pelvic pain and amenorrhea, they are also prone to endometriosis and go through menopause earlier than controls. All of these conditions are associated with abnormal regulation of reproductive hormones.

Dr. Rosemary Underhill, a British gynecologist, wisely pointed out that gynecological symptoms in women with CFS/ME should not be assumed to be merely part of overall CFS/ME symptomatology. Their investigation and treatment in patients with CFS/ME should follow established gynecological practice, which in most patients will result in a relief of symptoms. Some of the treatable gynecological problems found in CFS/ME patients are early menopause, PMS, osteoporosis, and endometriosis.