• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS and the "hangover effect"

Do you experience the "hangover effect" ? (explained below)

• Never

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • It did happen at least once

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Often

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I found no post on the matter and thought it needed to be discussed.

For those of you who don't know, the "hangover effect" is like a reverse hangover: instead of feeling like crap the day after drinking, one feels better than usual! People that benefits from the hangover effect are mostly people with neurological issues, like autists, people with ADHD, and people with CFS. It helps cognition, libido and sexual function, motivation, social interactions, digestion... everything basically. There is a subreddit about that where you can read people's experience. There are some theories around about what biologically happens, but as far as I know, none has been confirmed. It is still a mystery.

I do experience the hangover effect. In fact the only thing that I found was working for my body was alcohol. On the moment, it makes it worse: i can't find my words, lose balance, feel really tired, etc. But when I wake up in the morning I feel like a superstar, it truely is amazing. It cures everything, for a few a hours.

What I found was working the most for me wasn't drinking a lot, but drinking over a few hours, from 6pm to 12pm for example. But I have still to try a lot of things with alcohol, and I'll get onto it as soon as I get some money.

Mimicry

Nope... Instead I feel like I have a hangover 24/7 without having drunk alcohol in almost two years, does that count? (Salt water helps a bit)