• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cervical Collar for car journeys and temporary relief at home. What do you recommend?

Malea

Oh wow, you're the first other person I hear of that mentions significant lower pulse when wearing a collar!
When I still could be upright without a collar, I measured it and standing was over 10bpm lower with a soft collar on back than. I never measured the difference with a hard collar, unfortunately.

I haven't managed to read the whole post but all the positives sound so much like something structural isgoing on.

Jyoti

I haven't managed to read the whole post but all the positives sound so much like something structural isgoing on.
AGREED! It sounds significant.

And while I don't have all the same pros from the collar that you do @winterschlaf, I do get those improvements--including the significant decrease in POTS symptoms--from traction. Though my experience is a tad different, it is clear that for some of us, decreasing pressure and movement in the cervical region is hugely helpful. I am so glad you have the collar and are finding some important diminution of your hellish symptoms.

I am going to check bpm and bp with both soft and hard collar now, just to see if it makes a difference.

winterschlaf

sleeping satellite
Oh wow, you're the first other person I hear of that mentions significant lower pulse when wearing a collar!
When I still could be upright without a collar, I measured it and standing was over 10bpm lower with a soft collar on back than. I never measured the difference with a hard collar, unfortunately.

_Thank you_ for the affirmation, @Malea - it really seems we might be walking a similar path at the moment.

Very glad to have found (at least!) a couple of others who are maybe at a broadly similar stage of thinking about these things, so I can see I'm not out here alone!

I will keep an eye on your progress with interest.

Keep in touch
W

winterschlaf

sleeping satellite
AGREED! It sounds significant.

And while I don't have all the same pros from the collar that you do @winterschlaf, I do get those improvements--including the significant decrease in POTS symptoms--from traction. Though my experience is a tad different, it is clear that for some of us, decreasing pressure and movement in the cervical region is hugely helpful. I am so glad you have the collar and are finding some important diminution of your hellish symptoms.

I am going to check bpm and bp with both soft and hard collar now, just to see if it makes a difference.
Hey @Jyoti, thank you!

Even logging these type of incidents, and repeating the experiment over several days, I still somehow find cause to doubt the results, so your and Malea's feedback from the outside was really welcome.

I suppose it's likely a case of last minute cold feet, with the scans coming on Monday, which could set in motion something which I think would have its own momentum, of the kind which could prove difficult to halt.

I also find myself reading post surgical accounts with a less... resolved eye than ever before, and sinking into a state of worry and gloom, which I recognise is very much premature.

As desperate as I've been for progress over the last 5 years, that something is now happening of course brings mixed stages before anything like acceptance.

Despite the fact that we've a bit of a different tolerance for the collar due to necessary uniquenesses in structure, and structural damage, I find what you share about your experiences really similar -

as you say these type of stabilising -- and in your case lifting -- applications to the head and cervical spine, appear to have some compelling results.

I'm not allowing myself more than 1hour with the collar per day, reasoning that as on an average day I might manage only between 1.5 & 4hrs upright, and that assisted with pillows, I've to be very careful not to lose further stability and strength in my neck.

I know we three are all having these skull tremors which do rather feel like the integrity of the stable ground falling away a bit to me. I don't know how it seems to you.

Also the contrast when the thing comes off is hard to assimilate. Makes me realise something of the extent of the issues I have come to adjust to as normal.

Is that how you feel after traction? Can you describe how being in traction feels, if you care to?

The other thing is: the changes in POTS I experienced the first two times were not replicable on the third wearing, which plunged me into low mood and doubt yesterday.

My suspicion is that as the Aspen is so adjustable, coming in two pieces where the Philadelphia is more solid, there is probably "a good position" which is tricky to hit each time.

I expect it's that, still finding the weight redistribution onto the jaw very uncomfortable yesterday (I think the fact I've a smaller than average frame and skull places me a bit awkwardly within the collar), I tried it with the backpiece straps less tight and the chinplate more toward neutral -- pointing slightly chestwards --than very raised and braced, as I had been wearing it before.

This was also the suggestion of a neck-break patient-made video online, which was the first I found not about applying the collar to a supine patient.

I will persevere and keep measuring. How are your measuring efforts playing out? I see you can measure BP too - that's exciting. Please do share your findings.
W

Last edited:

Jyoti

Oh, I know that sense of having paddled like mad only to realize you are almost at the falls and there is no turning back. Maybe that is too melodramatic, but we push hard for what might work because...what else can we do? And then...neurosurgery? As a concept that 'works' (like it did for Jen and Jeff) so miraculously, we have to reach for it. But then confronted with realities, on behalf of our own bodies, and having the advantage of a number of people's experiences, there is some doubt.

I suspect that severity makes a huge difference in how one holds the thing. It does seem, though, that if you have anything going on in your CCJ impacting your brainstem (and we all know this is a strong likelihood almost to a certainty) then this is a pretty compelling way forward.

But....you are just gathering information at this point. And that alone is a huge undertaking, one that you need to focus on and get through in one piece. What follows may well be a choice. For better or worse.

It sounds wise to do no more than an hour with the collar. Good reasoning about time up and time up in collar. At least I think. I have been told no more than 4 hours a day in the collar by several sources, but since that might well be beyond your limits already, conserving neck strength seems smart.

My Philadelphia collar is a two-parter as well. I tried that initially and had the regular experience of getting it just right one day and feeling notable benefit and then getting it wrong the next few days and having more problems than plusses. The Aspen Vista strikes me as less 'wiggly' or variable in position than the Philadelphia, but it does seem to offer a host of positions and with the narrow range of movement (or lack thereof) that seem to be sufficient to trigger symptoms for me, I find that challenging. In fact, for me, there has been some distress in playing with the collars. I am generally fairly sanguine about stuff, but if it doesn't feel like I have it on right, I begin wonder if I am doing more damage.

My symptoms are not as severe as many, so unlike Jen Brea, who I think was having extreme and catastrophic reactions to turning her head, the changes that occur around my neck and head position and movement are unpleasant but a little more subtle. Thus, I find myself watching carefully and sometimes doubting my own observations.

Traction for me opens everything up. I am a little concerned that I am seeing diminishing results at this point (3.5 months in) but in general, I can see clearly, I can think, I organize my body, I feel a sense of personhood and agency, I actually feel my energy flowing more freely and have access to it. Pain of all sort is diminished to some extent. The effects seem to last about half an hour and then dissipate.

I'd also say that I relate to
Also the contrast when the thing comes off is hard to assimilate. Makes one realise something of the extent of the issues I have come to adjust to as normal.
I recall marveling when I first put the Aspen on at what I had come to see as normal in my torso, particularly my back and shoulders. Hard to describe, but maybe it will make sense to you. I realized that my regular stance involved using most of the musculature of my mid-upper back to push up, to hold my head up. A relentless job, because of course those muscles are totally unsuited and placed for that job. The collar allowed them to stop and it was mind-blowing to sense that part of my body resuming the position it was intended to. At least to some extent. Going off duty for a bit.

There is more, of course, but I think I will stop here for now. I am going to experiment with my Aspen again today --inspired by your experiences--and will report back. Keep us posted on how you are doing!

winterschlaf

sleeping satellite
Going to collate some gathered info from other sources, as well as externalising some introspective processing with regards surgery and declining health, here.

Oh, I know that sense of having paddled like mad only to realize you are almost at the falls and there is no turning back. Maybe that is too melodramatic, but we push hard for what might work because...what else can we do?

Not at all melodramatic for my taste - I actually laughed and murmured "exactly..." to myself while reading this. It was a perfect metaphor for a cliff's edge feeling that's been intensifying day on day lately.

And yes, that is also the conclusion I'm coming to when talking things through in my diary every day - "What else can I do?"

I have nobody else advocating for me, researching for me... If things continue to progress in the broadly linear way they have been the last five years, I recognise that this time next year, I simply won't be able to do these things anymore.

Pushing for these investigations might seem risky, or dramatic, or rash (as per feedback from loved ones), but what are my alternatives, at this stage? There isn't the infrastructure in place to catch me if I fall further. I won't say more.

Thank you for addressing this with such shrewdness and enthusiasm.

And then...neurosurgery? As a concept that 'works' (like it did for Jen and Jeff) so miraculously, we have to reach for it. But then confronted with realities, on behalf of our own bodies, and having the advantage of a number of people's experiences, there is some doubt.

Yes. Probably sensible to add that there appear to be variable degrees of surgical outcome, so far, and from what I've gathered, the majority of the M.E. fusion patients who've been kind enough to make themselves known here, have required minimum one additional surgery, either for post-surgical complications, or to address issues at another spinal level.

Which is something to take into account. I'm paying far more attention to the grittier parts of those few stories, of late.

A long hard road out of hell, would seem the best way to categorise it. What would I do without these pioneering accounts?

I suspect that severity makes a huge difference in how one holds the thing.

Precisely, precisely.

I've lately been tackling The Big CCI thread (on page 42 of 99 as of last night, and rather feeling the effort), and quietly noting that some of the divisions between the curious/questioning and the skeptical/more overtly afraid, and the circumstance / functioning level posters have shared about themselves.

To speak only for myself:

The stories of the first two M.E. fusion patients (only one having take the plunge at that point) were not something I was ready or able to process in relation to my own circumstances, at the beginning of 2019.

Denial and bargaining lasted many months since and I'm still cycling through those in miniature, most days.

Casting as dispassionate an eye as possible inwards, I recognise that there was a part of me that was relieved I had an acute health crisis in another area (gallbladder and liver), which set me back so completely for six months this May,

that I could ignore the fact an ear nose throat surgeon had just told me he felt he could say with confidence, that my auditory and vestibular symptoms were to do with some type of vascular insufficiency in my head and neck.

Because, I was so very unwell after abdominal surgery, what could I possibly do about that? Even the upper abdominal surgeons at the hospital weren't keen on operating on me with that hanging overhead.

And I think that's a sign of the seriousness of this process, that I considered probably the hardest health event of my life so far, as a displacement activity for what's to come.

That choice to deny, bargain and displace, has become less flexible as the year has waxed, and symptoms with it. Now my abdominal symptoms have eased off just enough for me to need to listen to my cranium again.

My body is telling me something and I am endlessly greatful I've at long last the tools to potentially interpret what that may be, thanks to others here. Even if the message I'm receiving from it is somewhat... horrifying (?). Especially then.

I think my recurring thought the last few days has been, perhaps I'm not There yet, symptoms wise. The point where the choice isn't a choice anymore; something which other M.E. fusion patients have faced. But the thing is...

If I can spare myself what comes next (so as not to be coy, I'm referring to central apnoea, extreme nighttime brachycardia, gastropariesis etc, of which three I already have very mild symptoms) and if it is confirmed to me by someone in the know, that that is /surely/, inevitably, what is coming next,

then, I see that I /already/ passed the point of no return back in September last year, when the true vertigo first began. An early warning of things to come.

Although I'm still working on acceptance, I know somewhere in my heart that I'm approaching, if not already toeing, the later stages of this situation, all symptoms considered.

With diagnostic wait times, declining health, and the reality that a crowdsourced surgical fundraiser could take far longer than is comfortable (or perhaps even safe) to yield results, I think I'm acting none too soon.

Or, so my self rationalisation goes, last thing at night. Perhaps I'm being a klaxon of doom, perhaps I'm seeing very clearly. It's hard to gain context from the thick of the woods.

It does seem, though, that if you have anything going on in your CCJ impacting your brainstem (and we all know this is a strong likelihood almost to a certainty) then this is a pretty compelling way forward.

It does seem increasingly to be so, and thank you very much for that affirming opinion (see comments above!).

The further I get into the CCI thread and comparing my experiences to those of others who've already been diagnosed, the paler the arguments of denial appear.

But....you are just gathering information at this point. And that alone is a huge undertaking, one that you need to focus on and get through in one piece. What follows may well be a choice. For better or worse.

/Thank/ you. I was very vocal in responding verbally to your comments while reading!

I may well be getting ahead of myself but it's a good idea to test out future realities and prepare, so as not to find myself incapacitated by the unexpected, if a diagnosis comes.

You've echoed a lot of things I've been saying to myself lately and it does me the power of good to have them coming from a source outside myself.

My family isn't aware of the next steps in these plans - I organised privately and came to them when all my ducks were in line, with a prepared speech about "maybe finally getting a diagnosis", which is something they most definitely want.

Shielding them from the full picture of what the result of such a diagnosis may be, has taken a lot of energy and resolve.

I appreciate the affirmation from someone who sees something like the full picture, very much.

It sounds wise to do no more than an hour with the collar. Good reasoning about time up and time up in collar. At least I think. I have been told no more than 4 hours a day in the collar by several sources, but since that might well be beyond your limits already, conserving neck strength seems smart.

Great, thank you again! The further I read through the CCI thread, the more often I have this confirmed.

One poster was advised by a neurosurgeon to wear a collar consistently in order to prevent further damage occurring, after reviewing their scans. Until I have such advice, I will continue as I am, and logging results.

Interesting though is another poster said they'd had a face to face meeting with the surgical team in Barcelona, and had been advised that wearing the collar consistently for a longer period and noting results would be a good conservative way of seeing if fusion might be something to pursue.

I haven't been well enough to repeat the POTS test again but I wore the collar for 50mins yesterday, and then again for 10 when I needed help getting up for nighttime teeth brush, due to head pressure / pre-syncope later, and had another truly out of the ordinary night with only one wake in a six hour period.

I'm starting to form a picture here, and am curious how 6+ hours of consecutive wearing -- even in a bit of an adverse situation ie the car -- might effect sleep on Sunday night before the scans.

My Philadelphia collar is a two-parter as well. I tried that initially and had the regular experience of getting it just right one day and feeling notable benefit and then getting it wrong the next few days and having more problems than plusses.

Right, interesting to hear you had a similar experience to mine!

Perhaps this isn't at all uncommon and it does make sense it happens this way, considering the pathologies we're talking about are often a matter of things being out of place by millimetres.

I had it in my head the Philadelphia was something of a continuous inflexible loop, which, on probing that idea a little further, turns out to not be my most sensible moment c:

The Aspen Vista strikes me as less 'wiggly' or variable in position than the Philadelphia, but it does seem to offer a host of positions and with the narrow range of movement (or lack thereof) that seem to be sufficient to trigger symptoms for me, I find that challenging. In fact, for me, there has been some distress in playing with the collars. I am generally fairly sanguine about stuff, but if it doesn't feel like I have it on right, I begin wonder if I am doing more damage.

That's very interesting to hear from someone who has tried both.

I actually found the Philadelphia was coming up far more in the CCI thread as something much sturdier than the Aspen, but it seems it's more individualised,

and there must be a particular benefit to the Aspen with regards generalised hypermobility (which seems to be applicable in my case) as it was noted it is favoured on the EDS forums.

Is the Philadelphia two pieces of rigid plastic, or does it have foam elements like the backpiece with the softer exoskeleton on the Aspen?

Four or so days in with the collar tests, I agree - small differences in both hardware and head positioning can really trigger unwanted symptoms. It is rather alarming.

I took heart from that poster passing on that Dr G and Co suggested trying it at home to note the results. It's seemingly not beyond the bounds of sense to use these collars at home, even if it feels a bit like riding without stabilisers, in terms of potentially doing more harm.

More frequent thoughts by thread participants were that the Philadelphia was considered to be more effective in stabilising, specifically cases of cranial settling, due to its comparative firmness and perhaps providing a small amount of traction.

I won't quote posters directly without consent / tagging them to comment, but a collar user quoted some text from an EDS/MCAS/Dysautonomia patient's site which summarised the feedback of five other posters well,

"Some neurosurgeons use neck braces for diagnostics. It can help to predict whether a fusion surgery is helpful or not.

The patient has to wear the neck brace 24/7 over a prolonged period of time.

If the symptoms get better or even disappear it is much likely that the patient will improve with fusion surgery"

My symptoms are not as severe as many, so unlike Jen Brea, who I think was having extreme and catastrophic reactions to turning her head, the changes that occur around my neck and head position and movement are unpleasant but a little more subtle. Thus, I find myself watching carefully and sometimes doubting my own observations.

It's all on a spectrum and while perhaps not all of us with strongly suspected or (partially/) confirmed structural issues are going downhill with this stuff necessarily (or are we? Can't speak with any authority here),

I'll say to you what I say to myself: preventative measures of some type are probably desirable, considering what we're dealing with here, and in which area of the body.

All symptoms are serious symptoms, and it's best to take them seriously. That's the slogan against self doubt.

@Malea if you were able to read any part of this extremely long post, I want to say that I am aware you are experiencing some of the very worst symptoms of this condition and that that's on my mind as I write.

I am not speaking of theoretical others flippantly, or not intending to. I know this is your reality and I'm right behind you.

No need to respond - I know how tough interacting with a screen is when lying down with heavy cranial symptoms.

Traction for me opens everything up. I am a little concerned that I am seeing diminishing results at this point (3.5 months in) but in general, I can see clearly, I can think, I organize my body, I feel a sense of personhood and agency, I actually feel my energy flowing more freely and have access to it. Pain of all sort is diminished to some extent. The effects seem to last about half an hour and then dissipate.

Oh how very tantalising.

I think I read you have devised a set up for home self traction (forgive me if I'm getting muddled - a lot of reading input from many sources lately), is that right?

Is it something you perform regularly for a little relief, as I would don the collar or take a dose of CBD oil?

Is there a focal point in mind in addition to that? some possible brainstem decompression allowing a little pressure relief for the area to heal each day, perhaps?

I recall marveling when I first put the Aspen on at what I had come to see as normal in my torso, particularly my back and shoulders. Hard to describe, but maybe it will make sense to you.
it was mind-blowing to sense that part of my body resuming the position it was intended to.

Yes this is a very familiar statement.

In my case, waking up with pulled muscles and the type of stiffness, soreness and strain I might have associated with having spent the previous day swimming lengths hard for an extended period, in a previous life.

And having to tiptoe to the bathroom on my lower joints, with (strictly metaphorical) fingers crossed there's no sprain, is the result.

Totally bizarre to have one's centre of gravity change so radically and the body just to reorder itself to fall in line.

There is more, of course, but I think I will stop here for now. I am going to experiment with my Aspen again today --inspired by your experiences--and will report back.

I could listen to this all day c:
Please do report back, if, when and what you feel up to.

Last edited:

Jyoti

Hey @winterschlaf --I think tomorrow is your big journey. Is that right? Or, given the time difference, today. Monday. I just wanted to send you all my best wishes for this trip: the traveling, the imaging, the reception you get, the recovery (which will probably, ruefully, be part of the equation). May it go smoothly and produce the next piece of the puzzle, leading you toward greater clarity and healing.

winterschlaf

sleeping satellite
Hey @winterschlaf --I think tomorrow is your big journey. Is that right? Or, given the time difference, today. Monday. I just wanted to send you all my best wishes for this trip: the traveling, the imaging, the reception you get, the recovery (which will probably, ruefully, be part of the equation). May it go smoothly and produce the next piece of the puzzle, leading you toward greater clarity and healing.
Hey @Jyoti, thank you for thinking of me, and for your message!

Made it to Manchester in better shape than expected thanks to earplugs, blue light-filtering glasses, Aspen Vista, lots of pillows and low dose lorazepam (Ativan).

Scans are in a couple of hours - has just occurred to me it isn't sensible to take lorazepam again beforehand as I'm unsure if its remarkable mechanism in temporarily curbing symptoms like photo/sound sensitivity, sense of skull pressure, MCAS reactivity and generalised pain mightn't be to do with dampening neuroinflammation, which could of course alter my measurements on the scan.

A bit daunting to undergo the sound volume / florescent lighting / keenly difficult postures of the scan without this planned support, but I reason if will be like ripping off a plaster today, and for good cause, as you say.

See you on the other side.