• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Celiac disease linked to common chemical pollutants

antares4141

Well I always thought my Mold related illness was set in motion this way. Chemical/pesticide exposure.

I quit gluten in 2011 but decided to do a challenge in aug 2018. I couldn't seem to associate a reaction but now what, almost 2 years later am way worse than I was 2 years ago as far as endurance and the amount of work I can do on average.

I always maintained it was like being put into warm water and turning up the heat. I maintained I wouldn't learn anything and might end up regretting it. Which I do.

So as of about 2 weeks ago I am back off gluten probably for good this time.

Would have been nice if my gastro doc would have tested me one more time. Total a----ol. Wouldn't even do an antibody test. "insurance won't pay" I should have paid out of pocket.

I had two one done one early in the challenge back in dec 18, and another in dec 19.

Both came back negative.

Just would have been nice to do at least one more.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020...S3yvirpTqhMR4AFEb4YWEy04tMJEuz3knSXHMjx68zI2w

LINE

I was looking at reviews for organic pizza flour (Caputos) and read comments that celiac people did not have problems using the organic flour (wheat) based in Italy which I would presume is a non GMO product. The gut has 70% of the immune system and becomes very reactive when I consume processed foods. That re activeness stimulates immune which sends everything else down the drain.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I was looking at reviews for organic pizza flour (Caputos) and read comments that celiac people did not have problems using the organic flour (wheat) based in Italy which I would presume is a non GMO product.

I've got that exact flour for making fresh pasta. I'm rather sensitive to wheat and have to follow a rotation diet with it. I'll let you know if this is significantly more tolerable.

I read something recently about the enzymes in sourdough cultures making wheat more tolerable for some. I'm curious since I can consume yoghurt, but am terribly intolerant of milk.

antares4141

I was looking at reviews for organic pizza flour (Caputos) and read comments that celiac people did not have problems using the organic flour (wheat) based in Italy which I would presume is a non GMO product. The gut has 70% of the immune system and becomes very reactive when I consume processed foods. That re activeness stimulates immune which sends everything else down the drain.

I think my problem is I don't get any immediate reaction. I really don't know why I am doing so much worse than I was two years ago.

I really didn't even think I had a problem until I couldn't put aside enough energy to walk my dog (45 minute 2 mile me on bike) day after day after day. Can't do it. It started resonating with me that I actually have a problem.

I used to be able to do light work around the house. Haven't been able to do this in months.

I still don't know how much if any the gluten in my diet is responsible. I'm just not going to take any chances anymore.

I am walking my dog the 2 miles sometimes now, sometimes I have to take her on a short walk on a leash instead. Which she protest's vigorously against by pulling me in the opposite direction of home.

I've tried to push myself a few times and usually crash the next day. But there are days I crash for no reason at all.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I don't remember where I got this quote from, but I think it's interesting for this topic:
"In defense of the "go gluten free" thing, it's not really the gluten that helps some people feel better when they cut it out. By cutting out wheat flour, you severely reduce the amount of folic acid in your diet, which can resolve some of the problems having an MTHFR mutation causes symptomatically."

That would be non-organic wheat flour. As far as I know, organic doesn't include any additives to 'fortify' it, so it shouldn't contain folic acid.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant

antares4141

It may actually be a sensitivity to fructans: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...he-carbs-not-the-gluten-making-you-ill.56027/

"the fermentation process used to make sourdough bread strips away wheat’s fructans." (http://dx.doi.org/10.1053/j.gastro.2017.10.040)
I have heard this a lot in the past about fodmaps. Especially from main stream that are not too accepting of the idea of non gluten wheat sensitivity.

I made a lame attempt to single out fodmaps but decided it was just going to be too hard to eliminate them.

I asked my gastro doc if he could test for it and he said no for some reason. I think you need special equipment.

I probably need to look into it.

I didn't know too much folic acid especially if your only source is from food could be a problem.

LINE

I've got that exact flour for making fresh pasta. I'm rather sensitive to wheat and have to follow a rotation diet with it. I'll let you know if this is significantly more tolerable.

I read something recently about the enzymes in sourdough cultures making wheat more tolerable for some. I'm curious since I can consume yoghurt, but am terribly intolerant of milk.

Many people with gut infections develop a secondary lactase deficiency (SLD) which happened to me. Dairy products contain varying amounts of lactose with fresh dairy being the highest (milk, cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese, fresh mozzarella etc) while aged cheeses contain lower amounts, surprisingly, yogurt and kefir contain low amounts.

With the SLD, you will get loads of inflammation and as we all know, that is a bad to very bad thing. The only way to reduce that inflammation is lots of antioxidants.

Last edited:

rel8ted

I had two one done one early in the challenge back in dec 18, and another in dec 19.

Both came back negative.
It is possible that you have a gluten intolerance which will not show on an antibody test. My doc was very hesitant to test me bc he was convinced that I did not have Celiac bc I was not wasting away. He got a big surprise, though. I also have food allergies and MCAS and alpha-gal allergy. Allergic type reactions do not have to be immediate. The very best thing you can do for yourself is to keep a food diary and document reactions. You can then see a pattern developing and see which foods to avoid. I found that I do much better on a keto diet and do not tolerate carbs well at all. Without a food diary, I wouldn't have put that together.

antares4141

I've never been able to ascertain anything from food diaries.

A. Cause there have been just too many other potential confounding environmental factors, PEM, and just sometimes seemingly random symptoms this disease throws at me.

B. It's a lot easier said than done. First you need to find some type of baseline of foods you know not to cause reactions. How do you do this? Then I always have no energy, constant brain fog, flue like symptoms. Food diaries are a lot of work. Maybe if I got into the habit it wouldn't be so bad. And I always have an overwhelming backlog of other chores that need my attention. Which means I have to make sacrifices somewhere else.

I should probably give it a try again. The truth is like mold sensitivity this gut CFS connection probably isn't my imagination and isn't going away no matter how badly I would wish for it.

I can't believe that I could eat gluten for a year and a half and not be able to see this. The same thing happens with mold. I can't tell when it's making me sick. I just progressively get sicker and sicker until I can't get out of bed for anything but the bathroom and to feed myself. It just doesn't take a year and a half for me to get to this point.

When I first quit gluten in 2011 I initially felt much much better, but it didn't last. There were some things that mostly went away. Severe bloating and pain, Proctalgia fugax, intense feeling like I was being poisoned. Mostly went away. Never came back even after I started the challenge and for the whole duration of the challenge these symptoms did not (for the most part) come back.

But the fatigue has, and my balance and coordination, and my reaction to exertion or pushing myself are almost as bad as they were prior to my quitting gluten. These symptoms seemed not go away immediately when I quit gluten and now it seems they snuck back into my life since the challenge and I am afraid they are going to take a long time to go away again.

And I am too old for this. I just want to try to get as much of my health back any way I can at this point. No more risky experiments for me.

If anyone ever says something like "how do you know gluten makes you sick?" "why don't you try reintroducing it and see what happens" Ask them "are you a dr" and when they say no, tell them now that you have given me your opinion you won't have to do it again right? So that when they do it again you can remind them that they had already done this, I gave you my answer, and we don't need to go over this again.

The lactose intolorance may or may not be a problem. But I have gone long stretches without any in my diet and not able to see any benefit.

lenora

Gppd Morning Everyone....I say this on the one hand and take it away with the other. Exactly one year ago we lost a dear friend and neighbor to celiac disease. Not the one you usually think of, though, he was never bothered by intestinal problems but developed a little know part of it that is neurological in nature. There are presently 6 cases being followed like it in the world. It's name is Irreversible Celiac and I would encourage to take it seriously.

It all began with tremors in his leg that shook the bed so hard that it awakened his wife. It just kept moving, moving and moving taking over more and more of his body. His one good grace was that he didn't suffer any pain...none whatsoever.

He had always been on the thin side in spite of his wife's incredible cooking. We thought it was anemia as he had fought it for years. As it turned out, it was something far more insidious.

Within 6 years he was gone, but not before he spent 8 mos. in hospitals hooked up to almost every machine you can think of. His family finally decided to let him go a year ago. He couldn't talk, he couldn't breathe....he couldn't do anything and he did die a very peaceful death.

So, since you brought up celiac problems, I wanted you to know about this newest one to be discovered. You'll be hearing about it and it will become mainstream in the not-to-distant future. Our friend was a kind and gentle man and will be missed not just by his family, but all those who knew him. None of us were aware of this newest type of celiac and it directly impacts our family. Our son-in-law in CA has twin brothers who both have it, one of their wives and one of their children. The other twin has it, but thus far his wife and children seem just fine. Researchers are busily working on this newest form of celiac, and that, of course, is good. David went through many chemo treatments looking for the elusive cure, but nothing ever worked. He did go from the teaching hospital here in Dallas to Johns Hopkins and one other well known research school (I can't think of the name now). His brain was donated in case his children have the same problem/ Already there is at least twice the amount of information than there was before. Who knows how much is out there? We've done too much to our food supplies and now it's all coming back to haunt us. A great pity...we lost a good friend and the world lost a kind person. Yours, Lenora.