• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC's XMRV Q&A on Blood Donation Updated

ixchelkali

The CDC website Q&A on XMRV has updated. They've changed their answer to the question
  • "Should an individual with diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome donate blood?"
Last week the answer read:
  • At the present time, there are no specific recommendations to defer donors who have chronic fatigue syndrome.
Now it says
  • At the present time, there is no FDA guidance to defer donors who have chronic fatigue syndrome in the United States. However, FDA regulations require that a donor should be in good health. Medical directors at blood collection centers should exercise judgment in determining whether individuals with a history of CFS are in good health at the time of donation.
I think they updated the prostate cancer blood donation answer, too, but I don't have a copy of what it said last week, so I'm not sure.

dsdmom

Very interesting....maybe it is their prelude to changing it more? We all know the CDC is going to try to cover their ass if the sh*t hits the fan...

taniaaust1

im unsure how to take that change.. obviously there is a reason why they went to the trouble of changing it. Of cause now if anything goes wrong with the blood stuff.. the CDC can blame the FDA as it clearly states they are basing what they say on the FDA stuff.

Medical directors at blood collection centers should exercise judgment in determining whether individuals with a history of CFS are in good health at the time of donation.

Does that mean if shit hits the fan and it ends up coming down to a blame game.. that the FDA can then blame the medical director at the blood centre for making a wrong judgement of someones health.

I guess this stops those who are on oxygen and wheelchair bound from being able to donate blood in protest :p

CDC "it's not our fault" ... FDA "it's not our fault".....

Stone

My blood donation query to CDC last week *yawn*

Here's an email I sent the CDC last week and their response following.

Sent: 7/5/2010 06:12:47 AM
To: cdcinfo@cdc.gov
Subject: Infectious Disease

Dear CDC,
I am a patient with CFS. I have recently been confused by conflicting
information about CFS and I am hoping you can straighten it out for me. I
have been advised by others with CFS that it is not safe to give blood because
CFS might be infectious. I have read that CFS patients in Canada, New
Zealand and Australia are not allowed to donate blood. What is the official
position of the CDC on this matter? Is it or is it not safe to donate my
blood? If my illness is caused by a virus, then I would certainly not want
to risk infecting others. Please advise.
Thank you,
" Stone"
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO.

Your questions have been forwarded to the appropriate CDC program for their information. They will contact you directly if they have any questions.

In the meantime, you may want to contact the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as they are responsible for the regulation and safety of the blood supply in the U.S. They can be reached by emailing ocod@fda.hhs.gov or visit their website:
http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/BloodBloodProducts/default.htm

The CDC website provides basic facts about chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and ways to treat it. There are materials on the website for patients and doctors as well as scientific publications. The website also provides links to other Federal websites for CFS.

More information on CFS is available on the following websites:

Understanding Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Guide for Patients
CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/pdf/UnderstandingCFS.pdf

Recognition and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Resource Guide for Health Care Professionals
CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/pdf/HCPManaging.pdf

CDC Resources
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/

External Resources
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee
Department of Health and Human Services
http://www.hhs.gov/advcomcfs/

National Women's Health Information Center
Department of Health and Human Services
http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/chronic-fatigue-syndrome.cfm

Health Finder
United States Department of Health and Human Services
http://www.healthfinder.gov/scripts/SearchContext.asp?topic=171

Trans-NIH Working Group for Research
National Institutes of Health
http://orwh.od.nih.gov/cfs.html

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov, or visit www.cdc.gov if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR.

L3GZ-5820/dp
cfs

[THREAD ID:1-1SNPHH] [SR No.:1-108621126]

dsdmom

I find it interesting that in their email to you they make it clear that it's the FDA's responsibility to make sure the blood supply is safe. It's like they are taking themselves out of it.

I also love how in the list of links they sent you they include the department of women's health. Because we all know this is strictly a woman's disease, right?

Gemini

Here's an email I sent the CDC last week and their response following.

Sent: 7/5/2010 06:12:47 AM
To: cdcinfo@cdc.gov
Subject: Infectious Disease

Dear CDC,
I am a patient with CFS. I have recently been confused by conflicting
information about CFS and I am hoping you can straighten it out for me. I
have been advised by others with CFS that it is not safe to give blood because
CFS might be infectious. I have read that CFS patients in Canada, New
Zealand and Australia are not allowed to donate blood. What is the official
position of the CDC on this matter? Is it or is it not safe to donate my
blood? If my illness is caused by a virus, then I would certainly not want
to risk infecting others. Please advise.
Thank you,
" Stone"
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Stone,

Excellent letter.

Would you consider sending it to the FDA and then posting their response?

Gemini

V99

I find it interesting that in their email to you they make it clear that it's the FDA's responsibility to make sure the blood supply is safe. It's like they are taking themselves out of it.

It's a silly game for them to play being the CENTRES for disease CONTROL, as opposed to Food and Drug ADMINistration. Centres Control v Admin.

Dainty

Stone,

Excellent letter.

Would you consider sending it to the FDA and then posting their response?

Gemini

$5 says they'll defer to the CDC... :rolleyes:

Edit: V99, I agree. And since when did the safety of the blood supply from infectious diseases become the responsibility of an agancy responsible for the safety of food and drugs? No one's planning on eating this stuff... :p

SOC

:D It's becoming rather entertaining to watch the CDC wiggling around trying to cover its whatzit while its a$$ is hanging out.

taniaaust1

Great letter stone :) .. and good to have thier replies, all this in public eyes.

I really hope you are able to follow it up to the FDA. I wonder if they will give a different response to someone who says the FDA is sending them there for info.. to someone who doesnt say that (what's the probability then they will tell one to contact CDC).

It would be great to know who's responsible before any sh*t hits the fan so we all know were to said our mail too.

Gemini

I really hope you are able to follow it up to the FDA...
It would be great to know who's responsible before any sh*t hits the fan so we all know were to said our mail too.

Secretary of Health & Human Services, Kathleen Sebelius, oversees the CDC, FDA, NIH and 8 other agencies, incl. Office of Inspector General, which investigates program & management problems.

She's the person.

Gemini