• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC replication study delayed in order to prepare a press release?!

natasa778

i'll throw in my vote as a former PR person (tho granted i just did PR for rock bands, nothing this big time) - i think it's a positive thing. they are trying to figure out how to cover their asses :)

Either that or they haven't found ANY XMRV AT ALL and are trying to explain that in the light of the recent German findings - i.e. how come there is zero XMRV in humans if Germans actually found some... also they would need to explain the findings from positive cancer studies etc.

... they could be preparing to 'do a Huber' and accuse everyone else of contamination? preparing to bury xmrv for good, that sort of thing.

IF they found some virus in the general population and if then they start faffing about 'no link to CFS, no cause to get concerned, no health risk from the virus established etc... ' - well that would still good news of a sort, 'cos at least we would get the 'official' confirmation that the virus is for real.

the pessimistic voice in me is saying that if they did find some virus in population they would have acted sooner to stop further contamination of blood supplies....

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

If Co-Operative failed XMRV date was used by CDC (without consent from patients having their DNA/Addresses on file) by peeps sending fingerprick blood test - this is perfect way to cause 'controversy' and 'conflicting data'.

Bob

i'll throw in my vote as a former PR person (tho granted i just did PR for rock bands, nothing this big time) - i think it's a positive thing. they are trying to figure out how to cover their asses :)

Why have a teleconference if there is nothing to report but a negative study.

... why go to the trouble to arrange meetings?

I agree with these thoughts... If there was nothing to report (i.e. no XMRV), then they wouldn't need a 'special' press release... it wouldn't be news... and we wouldn't be worthy enough for a special press release... it wouldn't need a press release at all... but if they have found XMRV... then this is enormous news to the wider international community.

serenity

"the pessimistic voice in me is saying that if they did find some virus in population they would have acted sooner to stop further contamination of blood supplies.... "

could be Natasha, but the pessimist in me says they care more about covering their asses than protecting blood supplies.
they've let it go on for this long, what's another week.

leaves

Yeah Natasha im worried to.
If they would have clear results they would have acted sooner and not plan a seminar for mid June or so, right?

VillageLife

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

The blood guy said in the May 2010 CFSAC meeting there is 'conflicting data'.

All CDC needed to do, was MAKE the conflicting data - and that was by 'making' Co-Operative diagnostics failed test.

Think about it....none of us on here, not one single person tested positive through that test.

Grrrrr x 10000

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Si and I were worried about the increasing support for XMRV as a cause of ME. In order to boost our own theory (psych one) we have embarked on a strategy to increase stress among those with ME. You are witnessing the first step in our strategy. Judging by the reaction on this thread, we appear to be successful. Within a week they should be queuing up for psych evaluations. (Much rubbing of hands together).

Bob

I don't believe that they will have found zero XMRV...
At least three separate studies have now found XMRV in the general population, in three different countries, at about the same percentage rate (USA, Japan and Germany)...
But it might be that their results are inconclusive for the ME community... i.e. they find a small proportion (10% or 20%) of their CFS patient samples are positive...
This might be the worst outcome for us...

I suppose all we can do is sit and wait, and remember to breath... slowly!

kurt

Doesnt Kurt have contacts with cooperative diagnostics? PM's are welcome ;)

Yes, the CDC and Cooperative collaborated on a different study that is sill in review. For that study Cooperative collected new blood samples, tubes of blood. This study about to be released is an earlier study conducted by the CDC retrovirology group, presumably using their own samples. And also conducted well before WPI's new testing methodology was published.

And for the record, I have no idea what is in that press release or why they are doing this. Maybe this is just their standard procedure, I think some people here may be reading way too much into this.

There have been rumors for some time about this pending study from the CDC Retrovirology group, would be nice to see that published finally...

Navid

I too was never the same after HCG injections, just got worse and worse until a virus slammed me down, never got the baby either:sad:

sorry maryB:(

let's hope we get the key to our recovery soon:Retro smile:

leaves

Oh thanks Kurt !!
So this study is independent of both cooperative diagnostics AND wpi. Hmmmm.
I thought i remembered something about the nci being involved with this one??
Why do they do their second study with cooperative diagnostics and not WPi? Do you know ?

Leaves

Hope123

I've managed to find Dr. M discussing contamination, and working with the CDC (someone called Bill Switzer?), confirming XMRV is a new human retrovirus, and not a contamination.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1o0...=E083BACCF9BA8FE1&playnext_from=PL&playnext=4

From 6mins onwards.

Yeah, I was just going to correct you on the spelling of the name but here he is:

http://www.cdc.gov/about/opportunities/careers/microbiologists.htm

William Switzer; from my notes, he did studies to confirm WPI findings were not contamination

kurt

Oh thanks Kurt !!
So this study is independent of both cooperative diagnostics AND wpi. Hmmmm.
Why do they do their second study with cooperative diagnostics and not WPi? Do you know ?
Leaves

I don't know the CDC's thinking, but have heard they ran a number of different test designs. So they may have worked with a number of different labs. I suspect they may also be a co-author on other studies at other labs besides Cooperative, although that is just a wild guess.

As for why the CDC did not run a test with WPI, for a true validation study the CDC would need to find the virus on its own and use its own tests. But for all we know, they did use the WPI testing method, it was published in Science after all. We will have to wait for the study to find out.