• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC Job

filfla4

Has this been posted before? http://jobview.usajobs.gov/GetJob.aspx?JobID=90144747&FedEmp=Y&FedPub=Y&sort=rv,-dte

From Co-Cure:

"The Centers for Disease Control has issued a job announcement for Chief,
Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, which includes primary responsibility for
the direction and substance of the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome research
program. This program contains the largest single budget (US) for CFS
research ($5 million/yr). The Chief serves as principal investigator of
epidemiology studies, and personally develops laboratory research programs
designed to improve diagnosis and management of human papillomavirus
(HPV)-associated cancers, CFS, and other related unexplained or chronic
illnesses.

This is a critically important position that can influence science,
practice, and health policy related to CFS. We encourage highly qualified
individuals to apply for this position."

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Duties include throwing out blood samples, diverting funds and studying irrelevant psychological "causes" for CFS.

dipic

I feel more optimistic--don't you think that somebody got the message? Chris
Heh, can't really blame people for being cynical or pessimistic after all these years. We can all hope that this indicates a positive change but given the CDC's track record, I personally wouldn't be betting any money. ;)

caledonia

This would be to replace William Reeves who transferred out in February. That lady who showed up at the CFSAC meeting (lol can't think of her name) was the acting head.

It may be that they're required to look for someone outside the agency, in addition to interviewing anyone interested from inside the agency.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
is this a NEW position or are they filling a vacancy someone left?

Given the $5M budget I've gotta belive this is Reeves' old position, now filled by 'acting' Elizabeth Unger, who has been acting invisible ever since the CFSAC meeting.

Sean

I understand why people are sceptical, even cynical about this. Fair enough.

But if the CDC are going to seriously change direction then they have to start somewhere, and this is exactly the sort of thing you would expect to see if they are changing direction (along with removing Reeves, and I would also expect Jones to be moved on soon too). If they do come onside then they will be a powerful ally. So let's give them a chance and see what happens. It couldn't be any worse than it has been up to now.

And I wouldn't be bragging about a $5 million budget either, given the size of the problem and their history with it.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Sean,

I sure hope you're right. It would be great to see someone from outside of the CDC get the gig and keep James Jones from running things by remote control. Oftentimes, however, the job is pretty much going to someone already picked and the running the advertisement is just a taking a required step, as it was for my former employer.

Fingers crossed this is the beginning of something new but I'm going to have to wait and see.

Otis

Gemini

And I wouldn't be bragging about a $5 million budget either, given the size of the problem and their history with it.

True, by comparison, government spends $18 billion
annually on domestic HIV/AIDS programs.

Their ME/CFS program has a lot of catching up to do.

Gemini

Gemini

Oftentimes, however, the job is pretty much going to someone already picked and the running the advertisement is just a taking a required step...

Let's hope this time around the position goes to one whose
training, skills, experience, specialty, and area of expertise
meet the requirements of the ME/CFS job.

Gemini

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
This was posted on facebook from the National ME/FM Action Network:

Fred Friedberg, President, IACFS/ME, sent a note today saying the CDC "has issued a job announcement for Chief, Chronic Viral Diseases Branch, which includes primary responsibility for the direction and substance of the CFS research program. This program contains the largest single budget (US) for CFS research ($5 million/yr). ...
This is a critically important position that can influence science, practice, and health policy related to CFS. We encourage highly qualified individuals to apply for this position."