• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Casein/gluten peptides and IAcrGly

Jenny

Ive just had the results of a urine test done by autism researchers at the University of Sunderland.

It showed high levels of indolyl-3-acryloylglycine ((IAcrGly), indole lactic acid, and two types of casein peptides. No gluten peptides.

Apparently many ME patients have high IAcrGly. Its produced from tryptophan. The researchers say:

The precise route by which IAcrGly is formed from tryptophan is still under research although it is thought that (it) represents the detoxified version of a very unpleasant acidic precursor, indole-3-acrylic acid (IAcrA). IAcrA could well find its way into many of the membranes of the body and hence make them more permeable to other biologically active produces such as peptides. Many membranes would be affected but of particular interest to us are those lining the gut wall and the blood brain barrier.

It also seems that when tryptophan is metabolised in this way less serotonin is produced.

Im going to start a casein free diet. Apparently you should be able to tell if its making a difference in 4-5 weeks.

The test was 65 (including booklet describing their research), and I got the results in a few days.

More details are on the website: www.espa-research.org.uk

See also a paper by Malcolm Hooper:

http://www.ei-resource.org/articles/gulf-war-syndrome-articles/guts,-brains-and-gulf-veterans/

And see attachment to this email for the Sunderland protocol.

Has anyone else had this test?

Does Kenny de Meirleir have anything to say about all this?

Jenny

Attachments

• sunderlandprotoc&#.pdf
    179.9 KB · Views: 65

girlinthesnow

Jenny,

I'd ordered this test which arrived this morning. I have been on a casein and gluten free diet for many months so have just eaten toast with butter and cheese and am now feeling quite sick :headache:
but it is all for a good cause!

ESPA Research looks like it is a very small and efficient research unit, just 4 people I think.
It will be interesting to find out the results. What do you plan to do next? I have begun to investigate digestive enzymes but am just at the beginning of this, new information.

The 2007 and 2008 Invest in ME Conference DVDs also came in the post this morning so will play Dr Meirleir's presentation and see if he mentions anything relevant.

Michelle

helsbells

Thanks so much for posting Gosh you have reminded I had this test done years ago, they did find the peptide thing but said something else was there that was far far higher that they couldn't identify, I am going to look it out jenny, maybe it was your thingy and they have it profiled now - anyway might be worth redoing. Cheers

Jenny

Michelle - sorry you're feeling ill - she did say to me that they would pick up gluten even if I'd been on a g free diet for months, as it stays in the body for at least 6 months, but I wanted to be sure so I ate some. I did try dig enzymes but they didn't seem to help. I'm doing a casein free diet now, along with various other things - may try 5-HTP as the Sunderland group mention that, and it's possible we need to find ways of increasing serotonin if it's not being produced very well.

helsbells - yes, they seem to be doing new things all the time, so perhaps worth testing again.

I meant to thank Athene for alerting me to this - thanks Athene!

Jenny

girlinthesnow

Jenny, thanks for picking up the 5 HTP, I had missed that. I've got some in the cupboard as it happens so will give it a go.

Cheers

Michelle