• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Case Study Remission of severe forms of long COVID following monoclonal antibody (MCA) infusions; Newly announced PEMGARDA for PrEP against SARS-COV-2

Hey friends!
I found this article from the American Journal of Emergency Medicine that discusses three individuals with Long Covid (pre-omicron) who all experienced complete remission following infusions of casirivimab/imdevimab antibodies. My understanding is that these antibodies works by binding to the spike protein rendering them less able to enter the cells. The authors make a explaination for how this antibody cocktail may have put these individuals in remission,
  • 1) The MCA provided a direct neutralizing attack on persistent SARS-CoV-2 harboring in tissues not sampled or detected by routine nucleic acid amplification tests; this created enough reductions in persistent viral particles that the host could return to baseline immune balance and overall homeostasis [17,18].
  • 2) MCA infusion displaced auto-antibodies attached to Fc receptors, facilitating clearance and removal of those factors [[19], [20], [21], [22]].
  • 3) The Fc portion of monoclonal antibodies attached to FcγRIII (CD16) sites that activate antibody-dependent-cytotoxicity pathways; the infused MCA cocktail eliminated residual viral particles or virus-infected cells, including reactivation viruses such as EBV.
  • 4) Any combination of any of these elements.
This brings me to some current news where the FDA has authorized emergency use of a NEW monoclonal antibody PEMGARDA. This emergency use authorization allows those that are moderate to severe immunocompromised to get this infusion as a prophylactic against Covid infections.
My question for you guys, do you think it's worth pursuing this treatment with my Long Covid doctor? I started Long Covid after an Omicron variant in October 2022. I have no experience taking monoclonal antibodies and would appreciate any information you can provide.
✌️ alix

SWAlexander

monoclonal antibodies
As an immunocompromised individual, I've considered taking monoclonal antibodies (MABs) such as trastuzumab (Herceptin) and rituximab (Mabthera).
After learning that monoclonal antibodies are man-made proteins designed to mimic human antibodies in the immune system, my hesitation stems not from specific concerns but rather from a general apprehension about potential adverse reactions.