• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

cardiac stress test using chemical injection (dobutamine)

I need to have a cardiac stress test (echocardiogram) to look for heart issues. I cannot use the treadmill for it because I am disabled. Instead, I have to have an IV chemical injection (dobutamine) to make my heart work hard. Someone on a treadmill can stop when they need to, but a person can't control their amount of exertion after having had the chemical injection. Does anyone know if this could permanently worsen my ME/CFS?

Zebra

Does anyone know if this could permanently worsen my ME/CFS?

Hi, @Mandala

I am not qualified to answer that exact question, but I did want to share with you that I had an IV chemical injection stress test in 2014. I was quite ill (in hospital) at the time so declining the test wasn't really an option.

I don't feel like it did any major harm to my overall condition, but I was completely wiped out afterward as well as the entire next day. It's like your heart goes out for a 10-12 minute jog while you lay still on a hospital gurney. It was a pretty yucky sensation, for me, but I had a nice nurse tell me to concentrate on breathing deeply and curling my toes as a distraction.

Again, I'm not a doctor, so I can't say if undergoing such a test will permanently worsen your condition, but I would suggest that if you do go forward with the test that you mentally prepare yourself for a crash of some sort.

Hopefully others who have undergone this type of test will contribute their thoughts as well.

I wish you the best of luck! It's not easy to make these types of decisions.