• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Candida disappearing with Calcium

Hoosierfans

How this happened I do not know. But I stumbled on something that works for my Candida and geographic tongue…and something that almost NO WHERE is mentioned in Candida treatment forums / pages / resources.

Calcium Citrate

I’ve had bad thrush ever since I got mono in 2006. I’ve tried every antifungal under the sun, including 9 months of lamisil, and I will get some tongue clearing but then it’s right back again. It even burst through the carnivore diet.

Last week I started taking calcium citrate bc it was recommended by someone here struggling with shingles pain (I have similar neuropathic pain) and also I wondered if maybe my long term florinef was messing with my calcium, magnesium or potassium (blood work is fine).

In any event, I thought some calcium for a few days as a test wouldn’t hurt. I took 500 mg 2 x day and now I’m hanging at 250 2 x day. My thrush is practically GONE. It’s crazy.

I could find almost nothing in the literature about calcium and yeast, except this:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35674440/

If anyone has any thoughts about what might be going on, I’d love to hear it!

linusbert

calcium is important for immune function, it also regulates in case of allergies and probably histamin.

but usually the way would be to increase vitamin D intake which should increase calcium and its function in the body. also vitamin D is very important for immune function.
i am not sure if calcium supplementation might actually mask a vitamin D deficiency.

Hoosierfans

calcium is important for immune function, it also regulates in case of allergies and probably histamin.

but usually the way would be to increase vitamin D intake which should increase calcium and its function in the body. also vitamin D is very important for immune function.
i am not sure if calcium supplementation might actually mask a vitamin D deficiency.

Yeah I read the Vitamin D connection….maybe that is it. Historically and now, I have low Vit D (20s and 30s). I’ve tried various oral supplements, am on patches now — nothing raises it even when supplementing 5,000 IUs a day (and with cofactors like Mag and K2).

I also have the VDR gene mutation….so difficulty absorbing Vit D.

Maybe the calcium is doing the trick and helping me absorb the D. 👍🏻

The REALLY odd thing is that I’ve had no die off symptoms — in the past, hitting the thrush with any antifungal or something like methylene blue — sends my neuro symptoms and burning pain into the stratosphere. There’s been none of that.

linusbert

Yeah I read the Vitamin D connection….maybe that is it. Historically and now, I have low Vit D (20s and 30s). I’ve tried various oral supplements, am on patches now — nothing raises it even when supplementing 5,000 IUs a day (and with cofactors like Mag and K2).
i was the same place just a few months ago, i took over 1,5 million IU of vitamin D (over the course of over a year) and it didnt go above 10... then it jumped to 35. i took 40.000 iu per week for over a year until something did change.
same a few years ago when i also couldnt get it far above 10... and then in a few weeks it jumped to 88ng/ml.
maybe the stores were so depleted that it had to saturate all cells especially fat until this happend, and then it rose.

you might try TUDCA, its a form of bile salt which helps in absorbing fat vitamins like vitamin D.
i also heard that taurin might help. though taurin also comes with TUDCA... UDCA+Taurin=TUDCA.

also for vitamin D metabolism following nutrients are very important:
Vitamin A, Zink, Selen.
the vitamin D receptor also needs retinol. and zink.
The REALLY odd thing is that I’ve had no die off symptoms
you might not have had candida all along and something different. or you have candida and the problem you solved had nothing to do with candida.

Hoosierfans

Thanks. No it’s def Candida — it’s in all my stool tests, we tested what is on my tongue and it’s positive for Candida, and my blood work consistently has IGM antibodies to Candida. So it’s def Candida.

I’m copper deficient so I can’t take zinc, but I do take a bit of Vit A. Anyway, I’ll keep up with the calcium and see how my D levels are at my next check. Maybe the calcium is helping get my D up. I can hope!

linusbert

I’m copper deficient so I can’t take zinc, but I do take a bit of Vit A. Anyway, I’ll keep up with the calcium and see how my D levels are at my next check. Maybe the calcium is helping get my D up. I can hope!
did you measure coeruloplasmin as well? and did you measure copper in hair mineral analysis?
i do as well btw, deficient in coeruloplasmin, copper and hair copper. and i still take zink from time to time hope it doesnt make things worse.

Hoosierfans

My doc monitors my ceruloplasmin, copper, zinc and all iron measurements monthly via blood work. I had a couple of HMTs done years ago but I’m not sure how much faith I have in them. Regardless, they also showed low copper. My ceruloplasmin is also always deficient.

I’ve been thoroughly worked up for Wilson’s disease and don’t have it…so it’s a true deficiency.

Springbok1988

I don’t know if this helps but many years ago I had oral thrush covering most of my mouth (later I discovered it was because of a cinnamon gum I was chewing) and got rid of it nearly overnight by chewing on a clove of garlic and holding it in my mouth for a few minutes.

Wayne

nothing raises it even when supplementing 5,000 IUs a day (and with cofactors like Mag and K2).

Hi @Hoosierfans -- My understanding is 5,000 IUs is way too little supplementation if a person is trying to get Vit. D levels back to normal. In Dr. Berg's video, he recommends taking 50,000 IUs daily, which he says a person can safely do for a while (days or weeks, can't quite remember).

I've heard that Vit. D requirements are pretty similar to Vit. C requirements when a person is being challenged by some kind of infection/pathogen. In short, the body can use WAY more of each when sick, and way beyond what would be normal supplementation. From what I can gather, warnings about potential excessive Vit. D supplementation don't take any of this into consideration.

BrightCandle

My understanding is 5,000 IUs is way too little supplementation if a person is trying to get Vit. D levels back to normal. In Dr. Berg's video, he recommends taking 50,000 IUs daily, which he says a person can safely do for a while (days or weeks, can't quite remember).
A person in the sun all day apparently accumulates 28,000 IUs and would do so all summer. There does seem to be a very big difference from the minimum we can sustain ourselves from serious disease on the bottom (about 1000 IU + diet) to 30x that which would normally be generated by an abled bodied individual.

I am not convinced Vitamin D will do much of anything to someone's health however at higher quantities based on my own experiences.

Wayne

I am not convinced Vitamin D will do much of anything to someone's health however at higher quantities based on my own experiences.

Hi @BrightCandle -- I suspect it's an individual thing. I've run across information regarding people having polymorphisms that inhibit the absorption of Vit. D. Those who have this may need very high levels of supplementation to notice a difference.

I had the same success with calcium citrate, it also stopped my routine sore throat and improved my sleep and gut motility, but after using NAC for 3 months the calcium started to give me strange pains in my feet and make me a little agitated, after supplementing with thiamine a few months later and having a very strong allergic reaction, I couldn't take calcium anymore without having this strange histaminic reaction to it. I think NAC completely depleted my copper and it gets worse when I try to take calcium again, I'm back to zero with my oral trush.