• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can hypersensitivity be found via brain scans?

Wishful

I see one thread about one person whose EEGs showed abnormalities. It seems possible that other types of brain scans might show clear signs of hypersensitivity. Maybe more rapid firing of specific neural pathways. Maybe greater response to certain inputs. If the brain was a network of electronic amplifiers, we could measure inputs and outputs and find what pathways are reacting abnormally. For actual brains, I'm not sure what the capabilities of measurement technology are. It just seems like it might be a reliable abnormality that could be targeted for study, and maybe answer the question of "what in ME is causing this abnormality?" We can't quantitatively measure PEM or fatigue-like symptoms, but hypersensitivity might be a possibility for quantitative measurement.

Rufous McKinney

agree....They will be able to far more clearly figure these things out, once they actually look.

It's like the woman looking at tinnitus, discovered physiologically the frontal cortex is joining in. They didn't;t know that one simple thing.

We know so little about the brain. Well, AI has something to do.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Dr Daniel Amen has taken thousands of SPECT brain scans. It's said he can tell what type of ADHD a person has based on the scan.

I wonder if he's noticed anything different for people who say (or who he suspects) has ME/CFS (or even maybe MCS).

??

Edit: I also think Jason Leonard has done SPECT scans on ME/CFS patients. ???

https://ammes.org/how-is-mecfs-diagnosed/ (This page mentions SPECT scans in regards to ME.)

""Hypoperfusion in either right or left temporal lobe, particularly Wernicke's area, after exercise."

Interesting. Maybe that's why some do well with Thiamine. ??

Last edited: