• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can 2 different probiotics be taken concurrently?

Guwop2

My probiotic of choice recently changed their formula and with it my health has dipped. Its seems this brand dropped 5 strains of the orginal formula and just boosted the quanity of remaining strains so as to maintain the products name ('80 Billion'). So, i found a probiotic that had maybe 3 or 4 out of the 5 missing strains and tried topping up the new formula of my brand of choice with these. This had the effect of making me more unwell (perhaps the combination of these two different difference formula's nullified the effectiveness of one or both? - what do people think?). I did, however, take them both at the same time and was wondering whether it makes a difference (in anyones experience) if you take them at either ends of the day (one in the morning and one later afternoon, for example.) As a side note, how are formula's even put together, does anyone know? Do certain strains clash..whats the deal? doesnt seem like a finely tuned science at this stage, though i could be wrong

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

Do certain strains clash..whats the deal?
This is a pretty complex subject, and you should probably do a Google to dig up more info.

There are a couple of really good books on the subject of probiotics, how they work, what the dangers might be, etc .... if I can kick start my brain and remember the titles, I'll come back and post them for you ....

In the meantime, you might want to look into the benefits of lacto and bifido bacilli, and which strains of each do what ....
doesnt seem like a finely tuned science at this stage, though i could be wrong
Maybe not finely-tuned, but pretty well researched, and there's a lot of info out there if you dig for it a little ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

if you have a moment to find/rememeber those book recommendations that would be super appreciated
Today's not the day .... fighting against Christmas Blues and deep fatigue and my seasonal sense of total failure.

In the interim, you can find a LOT of really good info by googling things like 'Strains of lactobacillus' and/or 'Strains of Bifidobacteria' ... or just 'Probiotic types and uses' ......

The No BS Guide to Probiotics for Your Brain, Mood, and Gut
https://www.healthline.com/health/probiotics-for-brain-and-memory
This is really simplistic and not particularly complete, but it's a good starting point ....

Probiotic strain and
What science says
B. longum
may reduce depression and anxiety, helps people with IBS

B. bifidum
helps generate vitamins such as K and B-12, which may also influence mood

B. infantis
increased relaxation in rats and helped with treating irritable bowel syndrome

L. reuteri
known to have an anti-pain effect in mice and can help increase excitability

L. plantarum
significantly increased serotonin and dopamine in mice and reduced anxious behavior when they were in a maze

L. acidophilus
may help reduce cholesterol and supports nutrient absorption

L. helveticus
rats administered with L. helveticus showed a decline in anxiety scores but another 2017 study found no difference

L. helveticus R0052, B. longum R0175

Add a side of probiotics, such as:
sauerkraut to pizza
L. plantarum, B. bifidum

kimchi to noodle or rice dishes
L. plantarum

Greek yogurt in place of sour cream
B. infantis, B. bifidum, or lactobacillus

kefir to a smoothie

extra pickles to your sandwich or burger
L. plantarum

kombucha with a meal
lactobacillus

I CAN'T VOUCH FOR ANY OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW, BUT IT MIGHT GIVE YOU A STARTING POINT ....

Probiotic product
Probiotic strains
Mood Boosting Probiotic ($23.88)
B. infantis, B. longum
Swanson L. Reuteri Plus with L. Rhamnosus, L. Acidophilus ($11.54)
L. Reuteri, L. Rhamnosus, L. Acidophilus
Garden of Life Probiotic and Mood Supplement ($31.25)
100 Naturals Upbiotics ($17.53)
L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. plantarum, L. Caise, B. longum, B. breve, B. subtilis

Guwop2

Today's not the day .... fighting against Christmas Blues and deep fatigue and my seasonal sense of total failure.

In the interim, you can find a LOT of really good info by googling things like 'Strains of lactobacillus' and/or 'Strains of Bifidobacteria' ... or just 'Probiotic types and uses' ......

The No BS Guide to Probiotics for Your Brain, Mood, and Gut
https://www.healthline.com/health/probiotics-for-brain-and-memory
This is really simplistic and not particularly complete, but it's a good starting point ....

Probiotic strain and
What science says
B. longum
may reduce depression and anxiety, helps people with IBS

B. bifidum
helps generate vitamins such as K and B-12, which may also influence mood

B. infantis
increased relaxation in rats and helped with treating irritable bowel syndrome

L. reuteri
known to have an anti-pain effect in mice and can help increase excitability

L. plantarum
significantly increased serotonin and dopamine in mice and reduced anxious behavior when they were in a maze

L. acidophilus
may help reduce cholesterol and supports nutrient absorption

L. helveticus
rats administered with L. helveticus showed a decline in anxiety scores but another 2017 study found no difference

Add a side of probiotics, such as:
sauerkraut to pizza
L. plantarum, B. bifidum

kimchi to noodle or rice dishes
L. plantarum

Greek yogurt in place of sour cream

kefir to a smoothie

extra pickles to your sandwich or burger
L. plantarum

kombucha with a meal
lactobacillus

I CAN'T VOUCH FOR ANY OF THE RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW, BUT IT MIGHT GIVE YOU A STARTING POINT ....
Probiotic product
Probiotic strains
Mood Boosting Probiotic ($23.88)
B. infantis, B. longum
Swanson L. Reuteri Plus with L. Rhamnosus, L. Acidophilus ($11.54)
L. Reuteri, L. Rhamnosus, L. Acidophilus
Garden of Life Probiotic and Mood Supplement ($31.25)
100 Naturals Upbiotics ($17.53)
L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus, L. plantarum, L. Caise, B. longum, B. breve, B. subtilis

Ah ya, ive seen all that google info. been through all the strains ive ever taken, tedious task and a kinda fruitless bc you cant really get isolated strains in high enough cfu to experiment and find out what is actually doing what - most probiotics are a formulas containing multiple strains. Anyway thanks for your time, it's appreciated. 👍

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
My probiotic of choice recently changed their formula

I hate when companies do that. People get to depending on their formulas and then to save a little money they change them and they don't work anymore for us. :(

As a side note, how are formula's even put together, does anyone know? Do certain strains clash..whats the deal? doesnt seem like a finely tuned science at this stage, though i could be wrong

This member has gone into remission 4 times now. I love his site. He has a plethora of information on probiotics, antibiotics, and herbals that have helped with this disease. Here's one page on probiotics: https://cfsremission.com/treatment/...illnesses/changing-microfloras-by-probiotics/
or here: https://cfsremission.com/2015/05/17/zing-when-a-probiotic-is-too-good/

Unfortunately, I did try to find the answer on his site to some of your questions. I do think he says that things can cancel each other out. Also many probiotics have a number designation after them that lets you know if you are getting the same bacteria. It may be the ones you substituted have the same name but are not exactly the same.

Anyway, hope you get some answers.

sometexan84

You can 100% take combos. But I wouldn't recommend experimenting w/ multiple probiotics until you've done a gut microbiome analysis.

Some bacteria are great for you, but in excess they end up causing damage.

It's definitely good to know the for sure "good" bacteria that you're low on, and supplement for those.

The microbiome test from Thyrve is only $99. And then uploading my data to http://microbiomeprescription.com/home/samples gave me a crazy amount of information. There's a bit of a learning curve with this analysis site. But I've learned so much.

You find how your microbiota matches up w/ potential diseases and conditions.

And I recently found out I'm very low on these extremely helpful bacteria, that can help re-balance the immune system.

Akkermansia
Bifidobacterium
Roseburia
Lactobacillus

Guwop2

You can 100% take combos. But I wouldn't recommend experimenting w/ multiple probiotics until you've done a gut microbiome analysis.

Some bacteria are great for you, but in excess they end up causing damage.

It's definitely good to know the for sure "good" bacteria that you're low on, and supplement for those.

The microbiome test from Thyrve is only $99. And then uploading my data to http://microbiomeprescription.com/home/samples gave me a crazy amount of information. There's a bit of a learning curve with this analysis site. But I've learned so much.

You find how your microbiota matches up w/ potential diseases and conditions.

And I recently found out I'm very low on these extremely helpful bacteria, that can help re-balance the immune system.

Akkermansia
Bifidobacterium
Roseburia
Lactobacillus

I did recently do a microbiome test through Atlas Biomeds, and had a consultation regarding the results from another health agency, but it wasn’t that helpful. I’ll try and post my result on that site you linked, and maybe I’ll get some more comprehensive answers. Thank you

Guwop2

I hate when companies do that. People get to depending on their formulas and then to save a little money they change them and they don't work anymore for us. :(

This member has gone into remission 4 times now. I love his site. He has a plethora of information on probiotics, antibiotics, and herbals that have helped with this disease. Here's one page on probiotics: https://cfsremission.com/treatment/...illnesses/changing-microfloras-by-probiotics/
or here: https://cfsremission.com/2015/05/17/zing-when-a-probiotic-is-too-good/

Unfortunately, I did try to find the answer on his site to some of your questions. I do think he says that things can cancel each other out. Also many probiotics have a number designation after them that lets you know if you are getting the same bacteria. It may be the ones you substituted have the same name but are not exactly the same.

Anyway, hope you get some answers.
This links look very promising, I’ll have a read and see what comes up. Even if my questions aren’t answered theres likely valuable stuff there that I can learn. Thank you 👍

splusholia

I take five different types and a combination of prebiotics. It took a while to fine tune the different combinations and see if they helped. But, yes, you absolutely can. I tend to avoid lots of lactobacillus strains together, but I do take l.reuteri.

Guwop2

I take five different types and a combination of prebiotics. It took a while to fine tune the different combinations and see if they helped. But, yes, you absolutely can. I tend to avoid lots of lactobacillus strains together, but I do take l.reuteri.
It sounds like you have finely tuned your probiotics regime. Did you achieve this through trial and error, and if so how long do you give each probiotic before discarding/adding to it? I’ve found that each new probiotic I try takes about a month (if not longer) to really settle into my system and do it’s work. The idea of reaching 5 different types combined seems like it must have taken you along time to reach the satisfactory routine that you. I Would be very interested to hear about your process and whether any particular studies helped form your understanding how to select a given strain.

Guwop2

Then none of the books would do you any good, either.

Did my best, sorry it fell short :(.
No need to apologize! It seems probiotic research is at the bleeding edge of science so its not surprising us folk are in the dark about it! Thank you so much or your detailed response though, very generous of you =D

sometexan84

This links look very promising, I’ll have a read and see what comes up. Even if my questions aren’t answered theres likely valuable stuff there that I can learn. Thank you 👍
Yea, cfsremission.com is Ken Lassesen's site. He's the one that does this site too - http://microbiomeprescription.com/home/samples. And here's his me-pedia.org page - Ken Lassesen's gut model

If you have questions about the analysis on his site, you can email him, he's helpful. His email is listed somewhere on that microbiome site.