• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Calling all foot bath and transdermal nutrient users - I need help

Hi everyone,

My gut health, which has ebbed and flowed over the years, is going through a pretty intense ebb at the moment. I've been having an increase in diahhrea and supplements that I was tolerating fine are now no longer so. I've been meaning to explore alternate methods of supplementation for a while now, to decrease the general burden on my gut anyway.

So I'd like to hear your experiences with using foot baths/transdermal applications/literally anything else as a way to absorb nutrients, and also to help detox. I've done some of research but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the wealth of information, so I want to hear from people who have had tried and true results, and concentrate the information in one thread.

So my questions are, regarding foot baths/transdermal applications/other methods that you've actually felt a difference from:

- what nutrient/s do you use and which forms? (eg. magnesium chloride or magnesium sulfate? types of clay?)
- what method of application do you use?
- how much do you use per application?
- for how long does the application last?
- how often do you do it?
- what improvements or differences did you notice? Even if it was mild, everything counts!

I'm happy to DIY/make my own creams and oils as my fatigue isn't too bad lately. I'm not fussy so don't care about mess, inconvenience or weird smells. Any recipes are welcome.

My biggest health issues right now aside from the gut stuff are insomnia, sensory overload/sensitivity and chemical sensitivity, so answers regarding those issues are most relevant to me but I'd like to hear about any experiences.

Many thanks

I also search for non-oral forms of things @strepliferuiner , have you found a way to do vitamin C transdermally? I haven't been to your blog post yet

I haven't tried any transdermal methods yet but will start with footbaths since it's the easiest and have plenty of bulk supplement powders I can use. I've heard of people using creams but I need to do more research on that to figure it out.

The blog post is @ahmo 's, not mine. If you go into their profile you can access it - it's very helpful.

CCC

We got on board the @ahmo bus and used footbaths for quite a while. We are strong supporters of this method.

They work really well when your digestion isn't working so well. They are really, good for absorbing magnesium as you bypass those potential digestion issues. Also, an Mg footbath is very relaxing.

For zinc, we found a liquid mix that I applied to the skin on the back in the mornings. It brought Zn levels up quite well. Our chemist wasn't amused - he phoned Sydney to see if it could be absorbed that way.

We got on board the @ahmo bus and used footbaths for quite a while. We are strong supporters of this method.

They work really well when your digestion isn't working so well. They are really, good for absorbing magnesium as you bypass those potential digestion issues. Also, an Mg footbath is very relaxing.

For zinc, we found a liquid mix that I applied to the skin on the back in the mornings. It brought Zn levels up quite well. Our chemist wasn't amused - he phoned Sydney to see if it could be absorbed that way.

Thats interesting, may I ask what form of zincwas in the liquid you used? Zinc is one the few I'm still tolerating right now but you never know...

@CCC just realised I forgot to tag you! Could you please let me know what that liquid mix was, or at least what forms of zinc were used? Many thanks

EddieB

I had borderline low iron levels and the hematologist recommend taking supplemental (oral) iron. But the nausea and stomach upset was awful, even after trying several different forms.

I then read about transdermal iron patches. The doctor was skeptical but didn’t see any harm.

We tested again after a month of use, and my levels did improve. So I believe that they do work, at least for iron.
Hope that helps...

I had borderline low iron levels and the hematologist recommend taking supplemental (oral) iron. But the nausea and stomach upset was awful, even after trying several different forms.

I then read about transdermal iron patches. The doctor was skeptical but didn’t see any harm.

We tested again after a month of use, and my levels did improve. So I believe that they do work, at least for iron.
Hope that helps...

Thanks @EddieB , I didn't even know transdermal iron patches existed! So helpful

A natural product that is a great source of iron...(liquid, swallow)..thats very absorbable is Floradix.

The midwives swear by it and can measure improvements.

this stuff: a bit pricy these days, its likely you can improve iron levels with just one or two bottles worth.

https://floradix.co.uk/product/floradix-liquid-iron/

It's got too many ingredients for me but I appreciate the suggestion!

@EddieB Thanks so much for the tip, wouldn't have thought to put it on my feet :)

@strepliferuiner
I relied a lot on footbaths while detoxing, also to relieve histamine problems. Check my blog for some more specific info. I put all kinds of things into the footbaths. Also improvised my own B12 transdermal. Now using B12oils, a formula of transdermal B12.

Hi @ahmo

I just joined the thread newly.

My mother has Cfs and I believe I'm going down that route too. Have been using b12 which has helped immensely.

What do you mean formula of transdermal b12 oils. Is it a new diy or have you also reverted to the ones made by Greg as reported on the other forums on the site. Reason I ask is if you would be able to help me with doing a diy if the oil would be cool too. Currently have ruined mu teeth to a horrible extent using jarrow which only actually made worse to the damage acid reflux did to it. Finally having relief on country life b12 as it's not acidic or sugary at all compared to those. However for those reasons I'd like to try the transdermal route as importing the country life to my country is costing about 70+$ for a bottle which might hardly last me 15-20 days. I tried making one by crushing jarrow 5mg into fine powder and mixing it with lotion and applying but no effects felt didn't really absorb as well. What do you advise as a long time viable option. The b12 oils from Greg are expensive to begin with with delivery not to mention I'll be taxed Upto twice the price by customs.
Looking forward to your response. Thank you

Last edited:
Hi @ahmo

I just joined the thread newly.

My mother has Cfs and I believe I'm going down that route too. Have been using b12 which has helped immensely.

What do you mean formula of transdermal b12 oils. Is it a new diy or have you also reverted to the ones made by Greg as reported on the other forums on the site. Reason I ask is if you would be able to help me with doing a diy if the oil would be cool too. Currently have ruined mu teeth to a horrible extent using jarrow which only actually made worse to the damage acid reflux did to it. Finally having relief on country life b12 as it's not acidic or sugary at all compared to those. However for those reasons I'd like to try the transdermal route as importing the country life to my country is costing about 70+$ for a bottle which might hardly last me 15-20 days. I tried making one by crushing jarrow 5mg into fine powder and mixing it with lotion and applying but no effects felt didn't really absorb as well. What do you advise as a long time viable option. The b12 oils from Greg are expensive to begin with with delivery not to mention I'll be taxed Upto twice the price by customs.
Looking forward to your response. Thank you
@ahmo I have edited the previous quote so you may not have gotten a notification. Just checking if you have had a chance to look at this yet?