• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

C3/C4 at top end of range, what does it mean?

I searched through the forum, and see most posts regarding this talk about people having low levels. Mine were literally a point or four from being over-range. I was being tested for all things autoimmune. What does that mean in the grand scheme of things?

valentinelynx

Here's a study you might find interesting. Usually complement C3 and C4 are measured as biomarkers for lupus, if they are low. This study finds a link between C3 and C4 levels and metabolic syndrome, associated with obesity, hypertension, high triglycerides and risk of diabetes. Not to say this is the only possible reason for elevated C3 and C4. Other diseases known to be associated with elevated C3 and C4 are cancer and ulcerative colitis. However, the most likely answer for labs in the normal range is that they are normal!