• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

C-Reactive Protein and SED rate both high, what to test next?

Peyt

Hi All,
Out of all the inflammation markers that I was tested for (Ferritin, fasting Insulin, A1c, and SED rate) the 2 that came back elevated are CRP and SED rate,
What would be the next possible tests to perform to figure out the source of inflammation?
Would it be a stool test ? or...
Your comments are appreciated,
Peyt

ryan31337

Hi Peyt,

Your doctors will need to take a thorough history to decide what to do next, there are lots of possibilities, you will be shooting in the dark if you try and progress this yourself.

I had an elevated sed rate and symptoms of inflammatory back pain, so for me the next logical step was HLA-B27 testing and MRI for suspicion of spondyloarthropathy. But there are many, many causes for elevated ESR and CRP.

Ryan

Peyt

Test D25 - its often very low when CRP is high:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26778547

Whats the exact number for ferritin? Is your hemoglobin normal?

Chronic infections?
Yes, my D25 was low. I have been supplementing.
Ferritin was 216 a few months ago.(range 30 - 400) I should probably check again. Hemoglobin was normal.
I do get infections easily. For example canker sores. I also was tested positive for SIBO which has never been fixed even though I took 3 rounds of antibiotics, and also tried to address it via herbal formulas.