• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Buying equipment second-hand

Cheryl M

Hello. Occupational Therapy in my area no longer provide you with anything for free (unless it's something the size of a walk-in shower) so I've been buying my own disability aids and appurtenances. I've been trying to buy as many as possible second-hand to save the planet but I'm wondering if I'm taking it too far. Like, is it sensible to buy a second-hand peak flow meter? Could that be insanitary?

Wolfcub

Is there any way of sterilising the equipment @Cheryl M ? I don't know, and have no experience of this, but wonder if you could find out somewhere?

I love your avatar picture. That looks like the Lake District. I grew up in the North West of England. I went for many walks there as a kid with my Dad.

Cheryl M

Ah, you're a bright spark @Wolfcub. I looked up "sterilise peak flow meter" and it turns out they have to be cleaned quite often anyway, but the manufacturers recommend you throw them away if the previous patient might have had a serious communicable disease. So looks like they're probably something I should buy new.

You're quite right, it's above Ennerdale! Looks lovely when the heather's out.

Yeah generally medical equipment like that is something you should buy new. I’m an expert on environmental policy and issues (was getting my MA before I got too sick to finish) and I can guarantee you that medical equipment like that is barely even a drop in the ocean of waste. Just buy new for stuff like that.