• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Burning in spine

I hope I am posting this in the right section, but does anyone get burning in their spine? It’s driving me crazy! I’ve generally always had pain at the base of my skull (which has also recently been worse), I started experiencing burning in my spine 5 years ago but it come and went. Lately it’s been burning much more frequently and it’s worse after I’ve been upright, or walking, lifting heavy objects (well, heavy to me, for example two plates or something).

I saw a private physio and he thinks it’s ‘muscle fatigue’... I haven’t seen a doctor about it (yet). I’m not sure if it’s that given the physio then suggested ‘fatigue management’ which is basically graded exercise (eyeball roll).

I am using frequent ibuprofen and paracetamol and a heat pad and wheat bag. I just wondered if others have these symptoms and could suggest what I should do next, if anything? :/ thanks in advance! (I’ve had ME for around 17 years).

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I've had that on 3-4 occassions during this illness--one time I ended up in the ER. It makes a person want to squirm it is so uncomfortable. I still do get that in my brain and brain stem. When it happens, it feels like they are swelling and throbbing.

I think you need to support detox first. I would start with Artichoke or Milk Thistle. Some formulas have both. I had the brain swell feeling yesterday and I could feel the Artichoke working very quickly.

Secondly, I would try ice instead of heat as heat will just increase the inflammation. I know, I hate ice packs but it would be a better choice unless you start to feel the surrounding muscles seizing up. Don't go for more than 15 minutes at a time, so maybe 15 minutes every hour or so. And of course, wrap the ice pack well so you don't get skin damage (freezer burn, I call it.)

3rd--look for foods that increase your inflammation. I don't keep an actual diary but when I have a flair of some symptom, I start to evaluate all the foods that I ate before the flair. So try to pinpoint your trigger foods.

On the flip side of that, there will be foods that bring down inflammation as well like ginger or pineapple--things with natural enzymes in them to break down damaged tissue so your body can re-heal those areas.

Lastly, chiropractic has been very helpful but you would want to find someone who works the entire spine top to bottom with their hands (and not a device) especially if you have certain vertibrae that seem to hurt the most. However, I would say to wait on this last advice until you get the inflammation down or he/she won't be able to adjust you as well.

Last edited:

pogoman

I second seeing a doctor.
I've had burning spine/neck/back at night and mornings for a loong time.
Finally got a MRI done of the spine done earlier this year and I have cervical scoliosis (neck) and arthritis/spondylosis of the spine along with suspected radiculopathy.

I've had burning spine/neck/back at night and mornings for a loong time.
Finally got a MRI done of the spine done earlier this year and I have cervical scoliosis (neck) and arthritis/spondylosis of the spine along with suspected radiculopathy.

Cannot believe you have all of my symptoms, 100%. I got into this mess after using saw palmetto (the active ingredient beta sitosterol, which lowers the cholesterol) and you after statin which again messes with Statin.
I

SilverRose88
I know the burning pain for most of my life. Suggest you have an MRI with contrast.
My MRI revealed: Stenosis, Spondylitis, Tarlov Cyst and Chiari Malformation.
yes I think I will have to go for MRI. I have done two MRIs but they were soon after quitting saw palmetto and without contrast.
you did not mention the root cause of your issues. If you can share that would be great.

SWAlexander

yes I think I will have to go for MRI. I have done two MRIs but they were soon after quitting saw palmetto and without contrast.
you did not mention the root cause of your issues. If you can share that would be great.

Stenosis, Spondylitis, and Chiari Malformation, are congenital.
Some reports say Tarlov cysts are congenital but can develop later.
However, Tarlov cysts are rarely found if not specifically looked for. Most MRY´s are taken in the T and L section only. Some of my Tarlov cysts were accidentally found in the Scacum and Coccix sections.
Spine.jpg

SWAlexander

Were/are you able to get treatment for any of these issues?

Only for the Chiari Malformation - a decompression surgery. But it made not much difference. I still cannot lift my head too far up (drinking out of a bottle, swimming, or looking/working above my head, etc.) before tingling and slight numbness sets in, beginning in the arms.
Forgot to mention that also had surgery on L4 and L5. Back pain still remains.

Last edited:
that means I am different from you. My issues started suddenly along with many other issues (tentacular shrinkage, low T , muscle loss etc). Just to clear I was perfectly normal prior to these all issues, fully fertile, father of many kids.

SWAlexander

that means I am different from you. My issues started suddenly along with many other issues (tentacular shrinkage, low T , muscle loss etc). Just to clear I was perfectly normal prior to these all issues, fully fertile, father of many kids.

This does not mean a person is infertile. I have inherited the Stenosis, Spondylitis, and Chiari Malformation from my father who sired 7 Children.

I am just saying I was fit in every way.
interestingly one of my very close relative used Statin and now he is having the same issues, still years after stopping statins (he stopped in 2014 or 2015). I don't know what is in common in Fin/SP/Accutane/Staints ? Why people keep suffering for years after stopping these meds.