• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Burning feet when sitting? Chronic Venous Insufficiency (CVI)?

marcjf

I dealt a lot with vascular inflammation, specially after exercise, when dealing with Long Covid. Last year, while attempting to swim, I dealt with a pretty big post-exertional flare, even noticed some bleeding in my feet (petechiae). I feel my circulation really went downhill after that. This made me avoid exercising, which honestly did not help so much either, as the muscle loss also exacerbated things.

Nowadays I am a bit better, and trying to re-gain some of the muscle, but there is one thing that never returned to my baseline. Whenever I sit for sometime, I will get a burning feet sensation. And a lot of the time, it does not even take too long for that. Standing still triggers similar effects, although it starts with more tingling.

I thought this could be related to CVI, due to blood pooling. But so far I haven't seen much difference from treatments for that. Things that I tried:
(1) I got a thigh-high compression stockings prescribed to me (20-30mmhg);
(2) Horse chestnut/Hesperidin supplement, called Venastat;
(3) Normatech boots;

Right now I am no Mestinon, which is also not doing jack shit either. I was sent for a venous doppler study on my lower limb, but there was not any obvious problem, although I am not sure how sensitive that test is.

This is really impacting my quality of life, as desk work is impossible now. Driving is becoming increasingly harder as well. Doing stretches and elevating the leg feels good, but it also does not seem to help me build any significant tolerance.

How can I start building tolerance again? I am not sure what is damaged, is it the venous valves, the small fibers, something else? How can I repair the damage?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Doing stretches and elevating the leg feels good, but it also does not seem to help me build any significant tolerance.

So this article talks about a patient that went to Workwell Foundation for the 2 day CPET. It says, "She also began a program of light strength exercises three times a week, lying down to keep her heart rate lower and using her heart rate monitor to stay below her AT. At the end of the year, the patient showed significant improvements and could manage daily activities better without crashing."

The other thing is I don't get the petechiae but I do get tingling in my limbs as well as Reynauds. (This year has been the worst for the latter one.) Anyway, a pinch of ginkgo seems to help with the tingly as well as decreasing tinnitus that I get. I wonder if that could help you.

Also, Lion's Mane is suppose to help heal nerves. This thread talks a little about that: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/anyone-used-lions-mane.83245/#post-2341612

Make sure you check for interactions though with anything you are currently on. Drugs.com does list Ginkgo in it's interaction checker but I would also look in a couple of other places as well or check with your pharmacist just to be certain.

Pyrrhus

Whenever I sit for sometime, I will get a burning feet sensation. And a lot of the time, it does not even take too long for that. Standing still triggers similar effects, although it starts with more tingling.

That's classic orthostatic intolerance. I get it too. My feet turn a light shade of blue at the same time.

Since I can't sit at a desk without my feet and calves burning, I have a special set-up where I can work on a computer with my legs elevated, so I can work without the feet and calves burning.

For more information:

Orthostatic Intolerance Basics: Dysautonomia of Blood Vessels, Low Blood Volume, and Baroreflexes
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...sels-low-blood-volume-and-baroreflexes.86445/

marcjf

That's classic orthostatic intolerance. I get it too. My feet turn a light shade of blue at the same time.

Since I can't sit at a desk without my feet and calves burning, I have a special set-up where I can work on a computer with my legs elevated, so I can work without the feet and calves burning.

For more information:

Orthostatic Intolerance Basics: Dysautonomia of Blood Vessels, Low Blood Volume, and Baroreflexes
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...sels-low-blood-volume-and-baroreflexes.86445/

Thanks Pyrrhus, I think I will have to do the same if I want to keep working. Are there chairs on the market that provide ergonomic solutions for that? All I see are some foot rests online, but I think I would need something higher than that.
Also, are you positive for small fiber neuropathy?

Interesting that a a lot of people are bringing up butcher's broom in that thread. I think they will be disappointed though.

I am curious if topical Midodrine would help me. I would not want to take it orally though, as my BP is already higher than normal. There is a study pointing success with that in Erythromelalgia: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/fullarticle/2290938
The only downside is that half-life is pretty poor. They take it 3 times daily.

Pyrrhus

Are there chairs on the market that provide ergonomic solutions for that? All I see are some foot rests online, but I think I would need something higher than that.
Also, are you positive for small fiber neuropathy?

Yes, I have small fiber neuropathy in my feet and calves.

But I don't know what chairs might be available as I haven't looked into it yet. I just use this "leg elevator" while sitting on the couch:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082XKFYLJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Hope this helps.