• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Burning chest pain -anyone else?

I sometimes wake up in the night, and my whole chest is in pain with burning, aching tightness. I can only take rapid, short shallow breaths, not because of the pain but it's like there is a band wrapped around it and I just can't physically expand my lungs. I'm usually dizzy as well, suspect it's a lack of oxygen. It goes away eventually. Anyone else get this? Pain isn't an issue for me anymore, except a stabbing pain in my thighs when I walk.

I no longer think I have ME/CFS to be honest, or at least not a typical case, so open to hearing whatever people think it could be.

Crux

Perhaps it's a bronchospasm ;

https://www.healthline.com/health/bronchospasm#symptoms

Symptoms of bronchospasm

When you have bronchospasm, your chest feels tight, and it can be hard to catch your breath. Other symptoms include:
  • wheezing (a whistling sound when you breathe)
  • chest pain or tightness
  • coughing
  • fatigue

In addition to the potential causes listed above, there is ; low calcium, low magnesium ,low vitamin d, and elevated phosphorus.

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Hypocalcemia

Neuromuscular symptoms include the following:
  • Numbness and tingling sensations in the perioral area or in the fingers and toes
  • Muscle cramps, particularly in the back and lower extremities; may progress to carpopedal spasm (ie, tetany)
  • Wheezing; may develop from bronchospasm
  • Dysphagia
  • Voice changes (due to laryngospasm)

I've had the tight chest , difficulty taking a full breath, and all sorts of muscle weakness, aching , cramping, numbness, etc.

I've had low vitamin d, but normal calcium in blood serum, even with extreme symptoms of low calcium.

lenora

I have had constant chest/rib pain for approximately 35 yrs. My lung capacity is good, but severe coughing will make this even worse.

In my primary disease this is one of the major complaints.....and I certainly have it. Ice helps take it away....at least Ace bandage ice packs (don't freeze solid) as they can be left on for about 20 min., and do provide relief for that and other pain. I use a lot of ice. You can move the bag around to the front of your chest after you've put it on the back (I place mine right over the spinal column) if it's still cold enough after 15 min. on the back.

Heating pads feel good, but I generally end up in worse shape after using them. Then I'm just one twisted up muscle. Good luck. Yours, Lenora.

Booble

Oh wow, Cait, I had that exact same thing. I could not seem to get a good breath and sometimes my chest would have that full chest cavity burning.
I had a few theories:
- Perimenopause. I was surprised to learn that chest tightness is a symptom of peri or regular menopause.
- Mold. The bed I was sleeping in had a lot of mold/mildew on the box springs. Interestingly after we had our house "tented" for termites -- which as a side benefit kills mold -- I started to feel better.
- Advil. I was taking a lot of Advil for monthly pain. It seemed like my chest constricted more when I would take the Advil.

Do any of these possibly resonate with you?

Costochondritis is unfortunately a common symptom of CFS and Fibromyalgia.

Mine comes around now and then if I don't get enough sleep, or maybe if I forget my medications. It is a highly painful burning sensation in my ribcage, centered on my lower sternum. It that can feel a bit better for a few minutes if I stretch it.

I often confuse the pain with severe acid reflux/heartburn pain - in fact I can't even tell the difference.

lenora

There are one (two) trigger points at the end of the collarbone that will help with costochondritis. I don't know what took me so long to find them.

Yes, I hate getting a cold b/c that's a guarantee that ribs will slip out and I'll be in for a miserable time of things for a while. As if the allergies weren't enough. I hope you can find the trigger points. I just gently push down on them. Yours Lenora.