• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Buehner claims these herbs reduce coronavirus-19 infection

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I found this summary from herbalist Stephen Buehner which lists herbs he feels are effective against coronavirus-19. I have used shitake mushrooms, cinnamon and licorice myself during infection and subjectively felt benefit.

The SARS-group of viruses attach to ACE-2 wherever it occurs on the surface of cells (including the cilia in the lungs). [Herbs that protect ACE-2 are 8 Glycyrrhiza spp (licorice), Scutellaria baicalensis (Chinese skullcap root), Sambucus spp (elder), luteolin, Aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut), Polygonum cuspidatum (Japanese knotweed root), Rheum officinale, and plants high in procyanidins and lectins (e.g. cinnamon)].

https://redwingbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/coronavirus.pdf

Last edited:

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Actually I made a mistake, I used shitake mushrooms not skullcap. They taste fine. I was just surprised to see an anti-viral effect. Definitely felt like they slowed progression, probably due to pausing the replication growth cycle.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Frankly i think of this as rehashing the same playbook, no matter what comes along just repurpose whats available and believe it fixes what that ails you.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Frankly i think of this as rehashing the same playbook, no matter what comes along just repurpose whats available and believe it fixes what that ails you.

While some of the antivirals do look like that I don't agree it applies across the board. Viruses have lifecycles so if you take an herb that pauses cellular growth it allows the body more time to mobilize its defense. Several herbs from chinese medicine do this (i.e. oxymatrine).

Additionally there are herbs which can reverse apoptosis checkpoint inhibition blocking due to chronic viruses.

I don't think the second mechanism matters for covid but the first is very likely to help.

I haven't read Buehner's antiviral book yet so I'm not sure that he is aware of this and you may be right for his recommendations.

The FDA went after Buehner for marketing covid herbal products because he didn't have any clinical evidence and the websites were pulled.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
The FDA went after Buehner for marketing covid herbal products because he didn't have any clinical evidence and the websites were pulled.
This is basically my point, make claims without evidence.
To get to evidence you start with a theory but without testing it remains conjecture.