• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Breathlessness when lying on your back and feeling crazy

I feel like crazy. Does this belong to ME / CFS? Fear, restlessness, if I lie down everything will get worse. Suddenly loud head noises like electricity. Burning sensation in the nose and esophagus. Whole body blows. Suddenly I feel emotions differently. I am suddenly confused and sad. Then when I get up it will be better.

Is that normal"?

I can only lie on my stomach. When I lie on my back, I can't breathe and I get very weak. Still somebody?

Thank you

Pyrrhus

I feel like crazy. Does this belong to ME / CFS? Fear, restlessness, if I lie down everything will get worse. Suddenly loud head noises like electricity. Burning sensation in the nose and esophagus. Whole body blows. Suddenly I feel emotions differently. I am suddenly confused and sad. Then when I get up it will be better.

I am so sorry to hear that! That sounds like a very difficult symptom.

Do you get these sensations only when your body is in a specific position? Only when you are lying down?

I can only lie on my stomach. When I lie on my back, I can't breathe and I get very weak.

I am so sorry to hear that, too!

Has a doctor provided you with any explanation for your breathing problems?

Rufous McKinney

if I lie down everything will get worse

Something similar is occuring with me- I believe its something in the darn neck. Something CCI type related.

A subtle shift happens if I lie down with my head back- lying on my back. All kinds of symptoms change, and my throat gets weirder, I get more hoarse and a subtle head ache comes on back there. I don' t lie down that way often.

I nap or rest on my stomach mostly, sleep at night on my side. No, haven't discussed with the Doctor- as I've not gotten my neck evaluated. So whats to discuss.

It feels like my breathing muscles are too weak. I also get little air if I sit for a few minutes. I think there is a lack of energy and the body wants to balance it with oxygen. Which is unfortunately not possible.

This burning occurs only in complete calm. Is it a crash then?

Learner1

It feels like my breathing muscles are too weak. I also get little air if I sit for a few minutes. I think there is a lack of energy and the body wants to balance it with oxygen. Which is unfortunately not possible.

This burning occurs only in complete calm. Is it a crash then?
You might look into autoimmunity causing this.

I'm totally exhausted on my back. I can't breathe and I feel weak. I have to roll back on my stomach so I can breathe. No doctor knows why. It scares me and lying on my stomach for 24 hours is terrible.

Do you all get air in the supine position?

Autoantibodies are all positive. But what does that have to do with it?