• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Breathlessness and blood oxygen

I have a smart watch forerunner 255 I think vivosmart.

I have severe ish ME since 2006, am 57 and in bed 2-3 days a week with about 2 hours of morning energy so I can sit up and have the very occasional outing … breakfast locally once a month for example.

Any exertion mental, physical or emotional wipes me out.

After I’ve over exerted the first warning signs include breathlessness, coughing, lungs constricting, start of barking cough plus air hunger.

I noticed after a recent period of exertion that my overnight blood oxygen read 82-84%. Now I’m not sure how accurate the smartwatch is. When in hospital at the start of this year with a broken hip they always had to get me doing deep breathing when they did my observation readings as my blood oxygen was low plus I was on oxygen for a few days. Generally if it’s low is the high 80s of low 90s.

I had an oximeter after about 12 years ago I had a paramedic out as my heart / muscles wee hurting after hours of breathlessness. He told me to get an oximeter which I did. Of course now we have smart watches. I’ve just ordered a 24/7 wellvue ring plus alerted my doctor who has suggested a sleep study. I have known I occasionally snore but no idea how much as my husband and I sleep separately to help me sleep. Im interested in others experience.

I have my first ME Bath NHS hospital consultation on Monday so will be raising it with them as well.

thx

Sally

LINE

My opinion: Oxygen is inhibited by toxins. I was able to raise my mother's O2 levels with the use of various antioxidants within a short period of time (1 to 2 hours), I think it was in the low 90s and bumped up 4 points within that period.

lyran

Sounds like sleep study is a good idea to rule out sleep apnea. There are also anti snoring mouthguards and pillows available. Also lung MRI.

Hydrogen peroxide can also be used to oxygenate the body but it has to be very well and carefully diluted.

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Sallyagerharris - I think a sleep study sounds fine, but I think it might be good to get a regular pulse oximeter and to monitor your levels throughout the day, and not just check your night levels. I have no idea how accurate your smartwatch is. And I think it's pretty concerning your overnight oxygen levels were 82-84%. That is very low. Normal blood oxygen level is around 95%. Blood Oxygen Level: What It Is & How To Increase It (clevelandclinic.org)

Why did they have you on oxygen in the hospital? That's not normal procedure unless of course you can't keep your oxygen levels up where they should be. If your levels are chronically low, I think your doctors should take that seriously and try to find out why.
After I’ve over exerted the first warning signs include breathlessness, coughing, lungs constricting, start of barking cough plus air hunger.
It really sounds like your oxygen levels are chronically low.