• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain Shrinkage Study

Celandine

A new study has found shrinkage in several brain areas like the limbic cortex, hippocampus & temporal lobe post covid infection. Even in very mild cases. These regions are mainly responsible for smell/taste, memory & emotion. This is the first study to compare pre and post covid brain scans.

Could this be the reason for the high rate of post-viral/long covid symptoms? Is this kind of brain shrinkage found following any other kind of infection?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ninash...ain-after-covid-19-infection/?sh=4f82d745403a

andyguitar

Could this be the reason for the high rate of post-viral/long covid symptoms? Is this kind of brain shrinkage found following any other kind of infection?
As far as I can tell from reading the link @Celandine the subjects in the research had been hospitalised with an acute covid infection. Would be interesting to see if those with a mild case of it ,but went on to get long covid, also had brain shrinkage.

ljimbo423

the subjects in the research had been hospitalised with an acute covid infection. Would be interesting to see if those with a mild case of it ,but went on to get long covid, also had brain shrinkage.

It looks like only 15 of 394 were hospitalized. Which makes this very interesting research. What did covid do to their brains and does it tie into Jarred Youngers' theory of sensitized microglia and low grade neuro-inflammation found in ME/CFS?

Of the 394 infected, 15 were hospitalized for an average hospital stay of 10 days.

Celandine

Good twitter thread on this here--https://twitter.com/hmkyale/status/1405601177434308619

I would say that the "not hospitalised" group may have had mild to severe symptoms.