• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Brain Map" worth doing? covered by Medicare

Mary

Moderator Resource
I received an email from a doctor's office I had considered going to advertising brain mapping - "cognitive health assessment" - saying it was covered by Medicare.

Does anyone know anything about this and whether it would be worth having done?

From what I can tell, anything that shows up they treat with neurofeedback. This would not be feasible for me because they are close to 2 hours away. I could make the trip to have the testing done, but it would be too rough to go there regularly.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks @jesse's mom - I just saw your post. About 15 years ago I did some neurofeedback sessions - and they were covered by insurance - but they didn't do anything for me, though I didn't do very many either.

But I'm wondering whether the "brain mapping" - whatever it consists of - might provide some useful information relative to ME/CFS. I supposed I should just call the doctor's office and ask what is brain mapping . . .

andyguitar

Just remembered something @Mary. Couple of years ago I read a book by a Doc called Norman Doidge. It was about ways people, with a range of problems could, 'Rewire' their brains. Or draw a new map in their brains. Very interesting and the science in it was fairly easy to understand. Suggest you check it and him out- some stuff on the net about him to. If you are able to make the trip for free help it might be worth it.

perchance dreamer

@Mary, I would absolutely try brain mapping, especially since Medicare would pay for it. Information from the maps allow neurofeedback therapists to get incredibly precise with future treatments.

I have had a couple of brain maps, and the treatment afterwards did help my symptoms, and a follow-up map showed that many of the areas of dysfunction were resolved or improved.

If you have a map, be sure and wash your hair right away afterwards. Your scalp will be covered in goo.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Just remembered something @Mary. Couple of years ago I read a book by a Doc called Norman Doidge. It was about ways people, with a range of problems could, 'Rewire' their brains. Or draw a new map in their brains. Very interesting and the science in it was fairly easy to understand. Suggest you check it and him out- some stuff on the net about him to. If you are able to make the trip for free help it might be worth it.
I read the same book! except I don't remember too much. I think you're right, the more information the better. It wouldn't hurt to do it, just the physical trip itself would be a bit rough, but I'd survive, I've done it before. thanks!

I have no idea what sort of technique they would use for the brain mapping, will have to call. I kind of don't think it would be an MRI, I can't imagine Medicare being willing to pay for that, but you never know --

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary, I would absolutely try brain mapping, especially since Medicare would pay for it. Information from the maps allow neurofeedback therapists to get incredibly precise with future treatments.

I have had a couple of brain maps, and the treatment afterwards did help my symptoms, and a follow-up map showed that many of the areas of dysfunction were resolved or improved.

If you have a map, be sure and wash your hair right away afterwards. Your scalp will be covered in goo.
@perchance dreamer - how interesting! That's encouraging to hear that treatment helped you. Washing my hair afterwards - good to know, yes, absolutely! :nerd: