• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain fog suddenly much worse than before

Plum

I have been going through a crash for just over 2 months now. Something new which I haven't had before is that my brain fog/mental fatigue is going from ok to severe in a matter of minutes whilst my physical fatigue declines more slowly.

In the past I tend to have a worsening of physical fatigue at the same rate as mental fatigue. Even in a crash.

Right now I'm having to stay in bed and wear ear protectors, not talk and stay off line etc as much as possible. BUT I can go downstairs, if it's quiet and get myself something to eat or do a few small chores without physical fatigue worsening.

Today I was doing ok brain fog wise and I went to read a short email. By the end of it I couldn't think or continue doing anything else for the day. It's like a thick haze envelopes my body and doing anything physically or mentally becomes impossible.

Does anyone else experience this? Have you found anything helpful?

Wolfcub

Sorry @Plum this sounds really difficult for you. I also wish I could help and hope someone else will have some ideas.
I do get brain fog; so far two things bring it on (and not necessarily a physical worsening of symptoms)
The two things are -just after I have woken up and especially if I have slept well.
The second thing is mental work, anything stress inducing, even on a slight level. My threshold is quite high but I know when I have reached it because I feel as if I need to cry and my thinking goes like what I call "a blank sheet of white paper" (my thinking processes just switch right off.) If I rest, I can function again fairly soon.

I always used to be called "unflappable" and still do have some of that quality, but this white sheet of paper in the mind thing has only happened since I became unwell.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Have you found anything helpful?

Some things that have helped increase my mental stamina and reduce my sensitivity to things that cause brainfog include:
* LDN
* Taurine
* Vitamin C, at least of couple of grams per dose
* Methylfolate
* NAG - except that I can't take it because it causes my kidneys to ache.
* Avoiding inflammatory foods
* Food in general: sometimes probiotic foods such yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut have helped to reduce brainfog, and then over time they increase brainfog.

Plum

Sorry @Plum this sounds really difficult for you. I also wish I could help and hope someone else will have some ideas.
I do get brain fog; so far two things bring it on (and not necessarily a physical worsening of symptoms)
The two things are -just after I have woken up and especially if I have slept well.
The second thing is mental work, anything stress inducing, even on a slight level. My threshold is quite high but I know when I have reached it because I feel as if I need to cry and my thinking goes like what I call "a blank sheet of white paper" (my thinking processes just switch right off.) If I rest, I can function again fairly soon.

I always used to be called "unflappable" and still do have some of that quality, but this white sheet of paper in the mind thing has only happened since I became unwell.
A blank sheet of paper sounds right! I usually have a fairly high threshold so this is why this is so weird.... I have been through a lot in the beginning of the year so I just seem to be having to deal with big pay back from that. My partner and I now communicate mainly by text even when he's in talking distance.

I find your comment about sleep interesting... It's weird how sleep does not improve things. I feel like I need to recover in the morning when I wake up. Need a rest to feel like I can 'start' the day!

Hope you and yr lovely doggy are enjoying the sunshine :)