• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain fog from chemo & Alzheimer's plaque reduced by gazing at 40 Hz flickering strobe light

Hip

Maybe I understood wrong, but I thought that the research was done with both stimuli at the same time: visual and auditory. It probably doesn't work so well with them separately.

There have been studies which combined both strobe and sound together, and observed a stronger effect than with the strobe alone. But the original studies I believe were strobe only.

I have not been able to find any study which measures the strength of effect of the strobe and sound individually.

Hip

What about sound? Would a 40hz hum add to the effect and make it work better? How about 40hz vibration against the skin in various areas? Or other frequencies which might work better.

Some studies I saw added sound to the strobe, but I am not sure what the sound format was. I imagine it might be short clicks repeated every 1/40 th of a second.

One study I mentioned earlier experimented with 40 Hz electrical stimulation of the brain, via a transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) device. You can buy home tACS devices online.

Florida Guy

A 40hz sine wave will be a low pitched hum, so low its hard to hear. Clicks will have many frequencies in them including higher frequencies so if you want 40hz a sine wave is best
One study I mentioned earlier experimented with 40 Hz electrical stimulation of the brain, via a transcranial alternating current stimulation (tACS) device. You can buy home tACS devices online.
I have something like that I think they call it the brain driver. I haven't done anything with it in a long time. Might be good to dust it off. It can be done with ac or dc and the difference between it and the tens device I mentioned in some other posts is where and how the current is applied

Here is a strobe I found on ebay $14 variable speed
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2849977624...RPj7OXFwLm28zM7f9832gr+g==|tkp:Bk9SR6KAy9yFZA

Shanti1

Administrator
I purchased a Clarity Lamp from Amazon in 2021 when some of this research started coming out, but I never got in the habit of using it, mostly because of the time commitment of staring at it for an hour each day. Also somewhat concerned if the sensory stimulus from the flickering will have an adverse impact on my dysautonomia or cause a crash. I've now brought it back out and am committed to trying it. It would be great if it helps with brain fog, but I also have a strong genetic risk for Alzheimer's, which was my main motivation for the purchase.

The lamp is bright, but not uncomfortably so. The flicker is very noticeable.
I actively looked at the Clarity Lamp for 20 min last night before bed and it produced some interesting results. My mind was more active after using it and I had difficulty falling asleep. I had a somewhat restless sleep and every time I semi-wakened, my mind was replaying some random memory. I woke up earlier than usual and for some reason my brain was trying to name all the dog breeds it could think of.... and I was surprised by how many I remembered, especially since my brain fog is usually worse in the morning.

I had a better than average day cognitively and used the lamp a few times throughout the day. I'm planning on using it in the mornings now when I first wake up since it takes me a while to be able to get up anyway.

I usually don't report back on things until I've been at them for a while since things that seem promising typically stop working with a few days to weeks, but I was surprised by the immediate effect.

Maybe I understood wrong, but I thought that the research was done with both stimuli at the same time: visual and auditory. It probably doesn't work so well with them separately.
Probably does work best to do them together, but it is a trick to get a 40hz light and a 40hz sound sound synchronized like in this human study. This second human study used only light, but didn't include cognition measurements.

Florida Guy

Oooops, I didn't dig that far, good job Hip. I have another suggestion, get a cheap audio oscillator and connect it to an led. Here is one for $14 and it goes from 1hz to 150khz. But it puts out a square wave which is fine for making an led flicker but sound will be distorted if you connect to a speaker. They have another signal generator which can do square, sine etc for $30.

The $14 one puts out up to 30ma which is enough to power an led for sure. They say it operates on 3 to 30v which I think means you can use a 9volt battery to run it. They aren't clear on what the input voltage should be, just say 3 to 30 volts. Its cheap enough someone could play around with it. The led should be a low voltage one, if its rated for 10v or less it should be fine, maybe up to 30v.

They have a link to the manufacturer, I didn't check with them but you can get more info no doubt. If you wanted to, you could experiment with connecting the output to your head and see how it affects your brain. The amount of power should be safe but be careful

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-DR...s=audio+oscillator&qid=1718820890&sr=8-4&th=1

Florida Guy

This will only power one small led due to the low power output. Is that enough? Seems like if it was close to the eyes it might work ok. To have a whole bunch of leds will be more difficult. If I see something better I will post it

Hip

According to this recent paper, SARS-CoV-2 once it enters and infects the brain, can cause amyloid deposits, which can directly damage the brain, leading to the development or the progression of Alzheimer's dementia.

Earlier studies also linked COVID and Alzheimer's.

If SARS-CoV-2 is depositing amyloid plaque in the brains of long COVID patients, then this 40 Hz strobe treatment might be of benefit for LC.

Florida Guy

There seem to be some links between long covid, alzheimers, dementia in general, fibro and a few other diseases and conditions. As for tau proteins doing the damage, even that seems controversial. They have an anti body treatment I read about a while ago that reduced most of the tau and yet the patients did not have much recovery. So either its something else or the tau protein does its damage and removing it does not undo the damage already done. Removing it before damage would be better

There are more expensive strobes that will do what you want, I was trying to find a super cheap way since many people have to watch their budget and can't spend a lot. Its probably best if most wait a bit to see what results others are getting with the 40hz flicker. If it only works on very few it still might be worth trying and if it helps everyone, then its a necessity.

Even one led might do the job. Perhaps shine it on a screen of some sort or the wall when its dark. I doubt that you have to focus right on the light, you could probably be doing something else or just relaxing and the eyes take in the pulsing light.

I think its important to research possibilities like this even if most turn out to be dead ends. They say edison tried hundreds of materials that failed before he invented the light bulb. Giving up too easy means no breakthrough and we do need one. We need those who actively search for new stuff and who test it out

Back