• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brain felt as if I was hit, or an explosion

Seven7

Seven
Hello,
I got a very scary experience, I was sitting talking to my husband very normal (I am not crashed) and I felt somebody hit me on the brain or something exploded and I felt I was going to die, then dizziness came very hard. I screamed and hold my head and it lasted a few seconds about 20 seconds I would say, the hit was very hard, so hard I felt my whole brain shift to the left. But nothing really physically hit me, I didn't see a light or noise, Just a very hard hit on the brain, didn't felt electrical, more like a physical hit force. Then the dizziness came (very strong) Any Ideas what it could be or why it happened?
I was on the emergency room yesterday and was given morphine, anti nausea medicine. So not sure if it was a side effect of something they gave me on the ER (24h passed).

Gingergrrl

Is it possible that you had a seizure? Why were you at the ER yesterday and put on morphine? Was it for a headache or migraine or some issue that existed prior to feeling like you got hit in the head?

Wayne

anti nausea medicine

Hi @Seven (formerly lnester7) -- Sorry to hear about your experience. I don't really have any clues on what might be going on, but I would like to share a cautionary note on "anti-nausea medication". I had a horrible experience from a single dose of it (18 months ago), and I am still dealing with severe fallout from it. If you're interested, I wrote a bit about it in the thread below. -- All the Best...

Need Advice - Having Very Adverse Reactions to Promethazine (Phenergan)

Seven7

Seven
Thank you guys! I didn’t go to ER because the pain has me exaushted. I woke up ok. I went to ER because I get a non stop gag reflux ( this used to happen once a month) but this time was severe abdominal pain. Was intolerable and once I start vomiting I don’t stop then I get dyhadrated and is BP shoots up.
I had like pressure in head type stuff all night but I am ok by now. I have to go to hospital today anyways for a schedule MRI so will let you know what they find.
I think it was a side effect of drug.
Thank you for all the feedback!

Countrygirl

@Seven (formerly lnester7) Just chipping in to say, I experience a similar explosion in my head when my BP abruptly rockets to, in my case, 250/140. It is a horrible experience and causes damage, although not necessarily something that shows up on a head CT, as severely spiking BP can cause damage elsewhere. Apparently, other people with ME (and hypotension) are experiencing the same thing. This may not be relevant to you, of course. I hope you get an answer as it sounds scary.

Seven7

Seven
Hi @seven,

Just wanted to let you know that you've been in my thoughts quite a bit.

I am hoping we'll hear from you, when you feel up to it, of course.

Warmly,
Z
thank you so much!!!
Hello, I am doing good, I am crashed like just surviving at the moment, I work full time so a big challenge, my head feels like tender like when you have a Bruise but quite normal for when I crash.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
Sounds like cranial nerve (CN) damage to the vestibulococlear nerve (CN VIII) ending at the part of the brain which receives its innervation (brainstem at the pons). CN IX controls gagging (medulla). Perhaps both nerves are affected. Gabapentin is used for nerve pain. Perhaps it might help.

Seven7

Seven
Sounds like cranial nerve (CN) damage to the vestibulococlear nerve (CN VIII) ending at the part of the brain which receives its innervation (brainstem at the pons). CN IX controls gagging (medulla). Perhaps both nerves are affected. Gabapentin is used for nerve pain. Perhaps it might help.
I just posted my MRIs, can you read those? I know is not advice and is guess, but I need ideas to ask doctor for.