• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Book Recommendation: The Amazing Technicolour Pyjama Therapy

hellytheelephant

Hi

I would like to recommend a book about chronic illness that both myself and my husband have found to be really helpful.
It is called: The Amazing Technicolour Pyjama Therapy ( and other ways to fight against life-changing illness) by Emily Ackerman.
It is written by someone who used to work as a Dr, and has now been ill for many years with cfs, and is full of good humour, practical advice and how to open your heart to your faith when you are challenged by illness.
She is a Christian and uses the trials of Joseph ( he of the fancy coat ) to begin each chapter, talking about how his trials changed him and helped him grow spiritually.
There are chapters on loss, emotions, dealing with family, unwanted advice and managing your relationship with caregivers.There are also cartoons in the book, some of which made me laugh out loud.

I think this book would be helpful for Christians, and also those not averse to Christianity, as there is a lot of other stuff in it.

CantThink

Sounds interesting! I shall check it out, thanks Helly.

I read, and found useful, this book:

How to be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers - Toni Bernhard.

If you are not Buddhist, it's quite general in that respect so I think most people would enjoy reading it.

hellytheelephant

You are welcome. I I got How to be sick a few weeks ago and it seems quite good. There is something very moving about someone sharing their struggles with such openness. I bought it after hearing her interviewed on the radio and she just sounded such a warm and compassionate woman.

CantThink

I was looking on Amazon and she (Emily Ackerman) also wrote one on taking care of elderly parents - that sounds quite good for people in that position especially as she is also ill.

I agree, it is almost relieving to me to read how someone else has gone through similar stuff... Like Bernhard talks about having tried multiple treatments and each time when one did work, it would work for say 6 months and then just stop. This is an experience I have had. She captured the frustration and disappointment so well.

Where we differed was that she has adult children and a husband, and so her social and mental struggles surrounding that were quite different to mine. I found I could extract less meaning from those parts, but the overall book was quite good I felt.

hellytheelephant

Thanks for the recommendation. I am struggling with all this mentally right now so this is what I needed. I will order both of them.
@Elike Jam sorry that things feel so tough right now...and I totally get it. It is a very difficult-to-live-with illness.
(I would love to hear what you think of the books, if you would like to message me, you can).
:hug:

@Elike Jam sorry that things feel so tough right now...and I totally get it. It is a very difficult-to-live-with illness.
(I would love to hear what you think of the books, if you would like to message me, you can).
:hug:
I will but this will take some (maybe weeks, months) time 🙂, I am a slow reader. But these are first books I bought which focus on chronic illness and how to live with it, so I am looking forward to that, to some guidance ...
Thank you for your kind words

hellytheelephant

I was thinking the Pajama Therapy was tied to actually obtaining cool pajamas to wear, since we lounge around so much. Which I"ve been doing recently. Checking in the clearance sections of dusty catalogue land. I feel a bit more glamorous lounging around.
I think it's finding those things to lift your spirits isn't it?! For me it's bright nail polish and colourful scarves. Hooray for Clearance, and Ebay.