• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BMJ Simon Wessleys Podcast removed ?

V99

The whole podcast showed his ideas to be those of a crackpot. At least we remember what he said, again.

V99

It may be significant post about the XMRV has something to do with it, wouldn't suprise if the BMJ took the entire thing down to get rid of one podcast.

pollycbr125

It may be significant post about the XMRV has something to do with it, wouldn't suprise if the BMJ took the entire thing down to get rid of one podcast.

i have no doubt folk will be scurrying around in the background in a lame attempt at damage limitation . they seem to forget we all listened to it and heard for ourselves exactly what was said . No doubt there will be an unofficial copy somewhere ...... interesting though

S

sunlady

Absolute Drivel

It seems like it's back up, you can react

listen from minute 11:20!

I cannot stand to listen to the drivel that is produced by Wessley and others on this BMJ Interview.

Why is there not properly rigorous research done by the person interviewing, which would allow them to ask the probing and aposite questions that this subject deserves.

Seriously ill people do not need rehabilitation as a primary mode of treatment, they need effective treatment for their biololgical illness and to improve their quality of life and to extend their life expectancy.

omerbasket

I hear it now in the first time, and I have to say, it's redicilous that a person who is considered to be a scientist says that there is not reason to look for what caused the illness. He is, I think purposely, "forgets" that the thing the "caused" the illness might be still causing it. Yes, as he says, if you get hit by a car it does not matter what is the license plate's number of the car (for treatment), but that is because the car is not expected to hit you again (if it was expected to do that, than the license plate number would have been improtant, in order to confiscate the car), but if a snake stings you - than it's very important to know what type of snake it was, in order to know what type of venom you need to deal with and what type of serum to treat you with.

Even when a person is hit by a car, the cause for his illness is now that his bones are broken - and if we will eliminate the cause, meaning that we will fix the bones - than the person would be fine. Let's say XMRV causes inflammation and inflammation causes ME/CFS's symptoms. So yes, if we would be able to completley eliminate the inflammation, and if XMRV is not infecious and doesn't do any harm besides causing inflammation, so yes, we wouldn't care about XMRV. But why look for the bacteria that causes tuberculosis and not look for a solution that keeps that bacteria alive yet the patient healthy? Becuase that's much harder and perhaps impossible. Every amature scientist knows that. What does that say about Wessely?

dipic

Transcribed just these couple lines a bit ago as I saw people misquoting or paraphrasing them. There are some other good parts but these are the worst (best?) of the bunch:

At 9:52: "It's a bit like being hit in a hit-and-run accident - you know, you've been hit by a car; we don't need to know the number plates of the car that hit you in order to rehabilitate someone who has been in a traffic accident. Nor when we are dealing with CFS do we need to know precisely what virus it was you had and when."

At 11:19: We're not going to go, you know, doing more and more tests to find out, well, what was the virus because, frankly, even if we found it, there's nothing we're going to do about it. We are in the business of 'rehabilitation'.

Note that they are of course taken out context but putting them back in doesn't make them much better (in fact, it should make them even worse to any reasonable mind that knows anything about the ME/CFS situation in the UK.)

Sometimes I just can't get over how much the little nickname of "Weasel" many have attributed fits him so ridiculously well.