• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood brain barrier question

Okay so this is a strange question, but would you be able to feel if its been breached?
Meaning, every drug/medication I take I actually can feel my brain/head burn/tingle. That is one of my worst symptoms.

Also, unfortunately, my MRI shows 4 microbleeds. Common in people over 65, but not for a 47 year old. Direct evidence of neuroinflammation? No one knows. The dr.'s have no answers.

And I have low vascular endolethial growth factor. Im afraid it all shows my permeability is breaking down. Anything from you scientific types?

I also have low complement levels, a high IgM and my lymphocytes are way off. Its been like that for at least 14 years. A rheumy just put me on Plaquenil.

My behavior has been so "off" lately, Im afraid this all impacting my brain (literally)!

Jeckylberry

If you feel it, it's real. Medicine is unlikely to offer any real understanding of the processes by which you feel it. It is too gross and formulaic. the increased permeability in your vessels will cause all manner of problems. Inflammation in the brain and spinal cord causes pressure. Pressure may give you weird sensations. Blood, lymph, immune cells, chemicals and hormones going where they shouldn't must surely cause you sensations. Have you been given a diagnosis? Have you done any exploring on the subject?

I am really really struggling. I just had a symptom yesterday like my brain weighs 100 lbs. It feels so heavy. Also I eat so much and never feel full. I feel hungry rarely. My hormones are all off and neurotransmitters. Any advice? I'm reading, "Why Isn't My Brain Working?..."

Aerose91

You don't have any pain receptors in your brain so you can't feel pain there per se but if something is effecting it you can definitely notice it in other ways. Pressure, headaches and mood changes are the first that come to mind.

Micro bleeds are common in mountain climbers and they get it from high altitudes with pseudo hypoxia. Thats exactly whats happening in us with M.E. so im not surprised. One factor i know has been proven to make your gut lining permeable is too much electromagnetic exposure such as wifi, smart meters and cell phones up close. Limiting your exposure to that stuff while taking good foods and supplements like hip suggested would be a big step in the right direction I'd think.