• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blog : "Modus Operendi" of XMRV

oerganix

http://cfidsresearch.blogspot.com/2009/11/modus-operandi-of-xmrv-pt1.html

"....So, as a molecular biologist, it leaves me to theorize that if this virus can mimic progesterone, it can create a state that allows the immune system to ignore the virus, very much like it ignores a developing fetus - scary isn't it? It is also worth noting that mutations in XPR1 bear a strong association with miscarriage, and that such women often bear masculine-like features. Observations reveal that high rates of estrogen, or high rates of testosterone in the absence of progesterone tend to favor the growth of XMRV - progesterone inhibits the formation of DHT. It seems to indicate that succeptibility to ME/CFS is strongly hormone driven, and why ME/CFS and FM are strongly female prevalent."

MEKoan

One person's anecdotal experience

I experienced an 85% remission of symptoms which coincided with a few factors including the removal of my ovaries followed by 9 months without hormone replacement. In the years following, I have suspected that HRT (estrogen only) increased my symptoms.

I have also suspected that ingestion of a lot of soy products (plant estrogens) makes me feel ill.

K

Katie

Makes sense that I place starting puberty as one of my three main triggering factors (vaccination and glandular fever like flu as the other two).

I've also been much more stable ME-wise since going on the pill and have had very bad experiences with pill breaks and hormonal imbalances. I'm now taking four pill packets in a row to limit fluctuations, not neccessarily from a ME point of view but for my own personal well being.

XMRV is still fitting into my puzzle.

Advocate

joyscobby

Another piece of puzzle that fits. I have had testosterone and progesterone for endometriosis. On estrogen patches only with no ovaries therefore no progesterone for near 20 years (I will stop them and see if any difference 48 now so looking at it soon anyway).

I wonder if the cotrceptive pill may have a role as well.

Explains why some women improve during prgnancy more progestrogen.

More women than men

do high testerone men not usualy go bauld a question for you men folk

sorry spelling bad today

flybro

XMRV adds up 4 ME

I'm short or dinky with a boyish build, both my daughters and myself have had hell with hormones.

Contraceptive pill has been a complete no go. HRT dangerous, evening primrose oil, stJohns Wort big NO NOs.

Both my daughters are tall and curvy.

I think I am a Fragile-X (So far the only confirmed known cause of Autism) carrier genetic markers are FMR1 & NUFIP2. I also have the simian line. 1 in 259 girls are born with Fragile-X.

Many people on the fragile-X forums talk of relatives or themselve having CFS/ME Fibro. I think they are finding Fragile-X in autistic people in the same %s as they said with XMRV.

Also my youngest daughter is autistic, and my paternal grandmother had A-typical MS.

can anyone shed any light on or any links between Fragile-X and XMRV. Or XMRV and FMR1 & NUFIP2

ThanQ