• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blepharitis, Dry Eye, Corneal Abrasions................

starlily88

One of the absolute best things I've done to keep my "ocular surface" problems relatively at bay was keeping the indoor humidity pretty high.

We have a whole-house humidifier on our furnace (maintaining about 40-45% RH) and I run a relatively small separate humidifier in the master bedroom, by my bedside (maintaining about 55-60% RH in the bedroom at night).

I'm meticulous about maintaining both humidifiers and have had zero evidence of any kind of mold growth.

If I let the bedroom humidity drop much below about 40% I start getting the symptoms and RCEs (Recurrent Corneal Erosion) again.

Indoor humidity can get really low during the heating season in places with harsh winters.

Great resource: https://www.dryeyezone.com/

TenuousGrip - thanks. What is 45% RH - oh, relative humidity.
I don't live in a house but a flat - what do you suggest for a humidifier that is portable?

I do much better all summer since I live in such a high humidity city - and I hate Air conditioning.
I read the whole Dry eye zone - thanks. Starlily88

starlily88

I suffered corneal erosions for a couple of years. You have my deepest sympathy :( I remember some nights I was too scared to go to sleep.

The thing that helped me the most was a dampened silk eye mask.

Eventually the erosions stopped when I changed my diet especially gluten free. I think inflammation went down and maybe acidity.

Brenda, thanks so much for your compassion. Yes me too. I got so scared to close my eyes to sleep also.
Just opening eyes - corneal abrasion, and the pain is unbelievable.

Now I make sure I have MURO 128 ointment in my eyes before I shut them.
The Restasis is getting my inflammation down - been 3 weeks now, and it is starting to work!!

So you wore a damp silk eye mask at nite?
I have spent a small fortune in 2018 on this problem.

I was tested for gluten - I don't have gluten allergy - but I guess it doesn't matter.
My acid rate this year is sky high. I never knew GERD until I got rare thyroid disease 2018.
Thanks again:thumbsup:

starlily88

I have dry eyes and find that no other eye drop works as well as Genteal Severe. This is a grossly inflated price on Amazon, but the twin pack of Genteal Severe is generally available at Walgreens and major supermarkets for around $20.

https://www.amazon.com/GenTeal-Lubricant-Severe-Twin-Pack/dp/B0105YXSMC/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1546363922&sr=1-5&keywords=genteal severe eye gel

My eye doctor said she keeps hers in the refrigerator, not because it's necessary for storage, but because it feels that much more refreshing.

Years ago I kept Genteal Severe night time ointment all the time till I got poor:sluggish:
Wow Amazon's price is so so inflated:nerd: $20.00 sounds better, think Walmart charges about the same.
I am using Muro 128 Bausch/Lomb prescription - which at $20.00 for 1/8 ounce (3.5 grams) is also outrageous.

Good tip on keeping in 'frigerator:thumbsup: I will have to switch to Genteal, as I am on 2nd Muro 128 now. Thanks so much

starlily88

I found out the hard way that too much of Garbanzo beans will cause Fibromyalgia.

I just remebered that my eye healed in 24h once I started drinking milk from a nearby farm. Milk from the supermarket doesen't have that power. I think it increased my glutathione. Unfortunately I am lactose intolerant, and milk isn't good for my hormonal problems, so I can't always go this route when my eye hurts again.

Borage oil also felt very healing, but it blocked my thyroid and I crashed badly.

Yes I am very lactose intolerant - but they do sell lactaid free milk, but this increases my sinus mucous so much.
My thyroid disease blocks me from using borage oil Thanks for your tips Starlily88

perchance dreamer

Years ago I kept Genteal Severe night time ointment all the time till I got poor:sluggish:

I haven't used the Genteal night-time ointment. I use the gel. I love this brand.

Something else that really helps my dry eyes is drinking lots of water through the day. I add a little Celtic salt to every glass, which helps with my adrenals and also helps me retain the water longer so it does the most good. All this water helps keep my OI under control, too.

brenda

Brenda, thanks so much for your compassion. Yes me too. I got so scared to close my eyes to sleep also.
Just opening eyes - corneal abrasion, and the pain is unbelievable.

Now I make sure I have MURO 128 ointment in my eyes before I shut them.
The Restasis is getting my inflammation down - been 3 weeks now, and it is starting to work!!

So you wore a damp silk eye mask at nite?
I have spent a small fortune in 2018 on this problem.

I was tested for gluten - I don't have gluten allergy - but I guess it doesn't matter.
My acid rate this year is sky high. I never knew GERD until I got rare thyroid disease 2018.
Thanks again:thumbsup:

Yes l wore it at night, and also with drops though l could stop the drops later. It took longer to have enough confidence to leave off the mask though.

The pain was really terrible, l will never forget how bad it was. Praying for you.

starlily88

Yes l wore it at night, and also with drops though l could stop the drops later. It took longer to have enough confidence to leave off the mask though.

The pain was really terrible, l will never forget how bad it was. Praying for you.

Thanks for your compassion. I made appt for Jan 22nd at Hopkins Wilmer Eye with my original Neuro-Opthamologist Dr Neil Miller - who I saw Christmas week Dec 2014 - lost my sight in right eye for 40/50 seconds, totally black, happened 2 times that week.

I had Amarosa Fugax or Transient Blindness - nothing to do, but the Wilmer Eye Machines they use are amazing.
One saw my eyeball in 3D - ended up being in Vascular Stroke floor Christmas Eve inpatient to check for TIA.

Last Corneal Dr thinks this is Neurological so want Dr. Miller to take charge of my case at this point.

I did use TOBRADEX - steroid and anti-biotic ointment - steroid helped the pain:cry:
Starlily88

starlily88

I haven't used the Genteal night-time ointment. I use the gel. I love this brand.

Something else that really helps my dry eyes is drinking lots of water through the day. I add a little Celtic salt to every glass, which helps with my adrenals and also helps me retain the water longer so it does the most good. All this water helps keep my OI under control, too.

Thanks Dreamer. Did not realize Genteal comes in a Gel - so it is not a drop or ointment, but thicker than a drop.
Sounds great, thanks for telling me about this.

I drink 8 glasses/water a day. I know Kosher salt not Celtic salt. Wow helps adrenals.
I have high blood pressure but it does get pretty low - today I felt pretty weak, hard to breathe, guess from dehydration, not eating much at all. What is OI?
Starlily88

perchance dreamer

Hi, @starlily88. OI is orthostatic intolerance, a condition in which you feel lightheaded or dizzy when you stand up from a reclining or prone position. It occurs because your blood pressure does not normalize upon standing as it should.

It used to be a big problem for me until I increased water and salt and added potassium and additional magnesium. I am symptom free now.

Certainly, the salt you add to water does not have to be Celtic. I'd say any kind of salt other than the standard nasty table salt we all grew up with. I add Celtic to my water because I cook with it a lot, so it's always around.

starlily88

Hi, @starlily88. OI is orthostatic intolerance, a condition in which you feel lightheaded or dizzy when you stand up from a reclining or prone position. It occurs because your blood pressure does not normalize upon standing as it should.

It used to be a big problem for me until I increased water and salt and added potassium and additional magnesium. I am symptom free now.

Certainly, the salt you add to water does not have to be Celtic. I'd say any kind of salt other than the standard nasty table salt we all grew up with. I add Celtic to my water because I cook with it a lot, so it's always around.

Dreamer, yes I have Orthostatic Intolerance - last few years I have passed out in my bank due to long wait times.
I do a lot of magnesium every day, and did do potassium years ago for something.
Starlily88

starlily88

Do these use a standard eye drop bottle? I'm having such a difficult time with the bottle design the Hylo eye drops use so it would be nice to find something else.
Judee this is not a standard eye drop bottle. It is as hard as the Hylo bottle in use difficulty.
I just can't do these hard designs..................

starlily88

Hello I am writing to all of you - an update. I had appt on Wednesday January 9, 2019 at Wilmer Eye Clinic at Hopkins. I was seen there on December 11, 2018 following left eye corneal abrasion, and put on RESTASIS, and Muro 128 (like GenTeal Ointment).

Very upset now. Saw a Corneal Dr along with the Dr.(Feillow) I saw in December.
Bottom line, I was told my Optic Nerves are enlarged. But he acted "confused" at this.
In 2014/2015 I saw a Glaucoma Dr at Wilmer - my optic nerves were perfectly fine then.
So to this very old Corneal guy - he ignored that my Optic Nerves were enlarged now, since they weren't before.

When I got my original Fellow Dr in room alone - he examined me. My epithelium cells on bad eye were in fact
improved. He did tell me my optic nerves were enlarged - like he didn't see this on December 11th?

I asked him what are reasons for enlarged Optic Nerves - he said only 2 reasons - 1)born like this
or 2) beginning of Glaucoma. So I know for a fact that my Optic Nerves were OK in 2015, therefore
I have Glaucoma!!

This Fellowship Dr - put Punctal Plug in right eye, but could not get one into my left eye.
He also called lab/pharmacy - and ordered Serum Tears - You give your own blood, they centrifuge it to get
the serum/plasma from one's blood - mix it with sterile water. He wanted Restasis added also.

Then one uses these drops for Dry Eyes.
I am so so upset - nothing is calming me down.
Starlily88

Asklipia

Exactly.
Being +/+ MTHFR I will always be borderline deficient in B2 :thumbsup:;)
There is also a vit D connection
:hug:
I think Calcium. Calcium as the metal driving sympathetic mode (Pingala = action).
If we are unable to switch into parasympathetic mode (Ida = repair) this not only because Magnesium is deficient, but because of the inability to pass through vagal mode (Sushumna = regeneration) driven by potassium.
Vitamin D is not activated because we cannot go into Vagal, because the transporters of Thiamine are occupied at ferrrying glutamate, effectively starving Sushumna, stopping regeneration, and eventually repair, leaving us burning in a glutamate Hell of Fire.
My opinion entirely, please do not act on this, this is NOT afvice!
Pingala - Calcium - Glutamate
Ida - Magnesium - GABA
Sushumna - Potassium - Thiamine
Every time we go from Ida to Pingala, and from Pingala to Ida (every 90 ms or so if our ultradian clocks are working) we go fleetingly through Sushumna.

In ancient times, the Greeks had hospitals called "Asklipion-s" where the patients ate from vegetables grown from the hospital garden, from earth brought over from the province of Magnesia in what is known now as Turkey. These vegetables were full of Magnesium and Manganese and Boron, found in high proportions in the earth of this region). So Boron is part of the solution I think. Also nowadays, Turks living in the areas rich in Boron are definitely healthier than other Turks.
:):hug:

Last edited: