• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bitter herbs definitely helping tummy!!

Wolfcub

but I thought I'd mention that real licorice causes high BP in most people, and can be especially dangerous if you already suffer from it. I hope not.
Thanks @lenora Yes, that's true. I use deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) powder at 1/8 teaspoonful each dose (usually 3 times a day) It's the Glycyrrhizin which can cause side effects.
I believe -though might be wrong -that it's a type of steroid also (?). But the DGL so far (1 month at least of use) has caused me no issues I didn't have before anyway. It feels quite benign, and tastes really nice too.

Out of interest, I added another herb to the collection today: Witch Hazel Leaves I am still experimenting with this, but one tea made from 1 small teaspoonful has had beneficial effects already. Time will tell, and I will update as I go along here. When the Spring comes I will also pick Blackberry leaves and see what happens with those when I make tea from them.
At the moment, the blackberry leaves are non existent owing to minus temperatures, frost and snow. Spring will bring up some fresh growth, perfect for teas.

Both those are astringent, and could be helpful for some IBS symptoms (which I get,....mild IBS -D)
Also as astringents they can be toning for the lower esophageal sphincter (helpful for GERD and reflux.)
Anyway I will post back updates as I go along.

Last edited:

Wolfcub

I'll stop by for a slice of ginger cake and will bring some Earl Grey with me. Oh, but you're not drinking it now!
I will make an exception ...:D if you happen to drop in at tea time!
I risked a small ground coffee today. I enjoyed it very much, and no shakiness from it, but about an hour later it gave me some reflux-y sensations ....sad :(

Actually Witch Hazel tea tastes a bit like a kind of China tea, I discovered, Weird.....
Anything is a nice change from Camomile.

Wolfcub

@Wolfcub have you tried Iberogast for your GI issues? Some people find it to work very well, but not something I could tolerate even at 1 drop and well diluted.
https://badgut.org/information-centre/product-reviews/iberogast/
No @kangaSue I haven't tried Iberogast. I am not quite sure where to get that at the moment (possibly Amazon? I am always very picky about which supplements etc I buy from Amazon. Some are very good. Others I am unsure of,) But I have heard good things about it for some people, depending on tolerance.

kangaSue

No @kangaSue I haven't tried Iberogast. I am not quite sure where to get that at the moment (possibly Amazon? I am always very picky about which supplements etc I buy from Amazon. Some are very good. Others I am unsure of,) But I have heard good things about it for some people, depending on tolerance.
Commonly stocked by larger Pharmacy's here in Oz, would imagine it's the same in the UK.

lenora

Hello @Wolfcub.....haven't heard from you since the above and was wondering how you're feeling? You know, that Manuka honey sounds good....I'll have to see if we can get it here. To the best of my knowledge, we can't access British herbs on Amazon. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate knowing it.

Oh, and Vit. 'C' even in regular form can cause GI problems for me. I can see where the chewable form may be even worse. I was told many years ago by an Osteopath, that one shouldn't take Vit. C near bedtime as he found many patients suffered bladder irritation b/c of it. Just thought I'd pass that along to everyone.

I think the honey and a cup of warmed almond milk sounds good after 6:30 p.m. I use vanilla & stevia, so it will make an interesting change. I'll check it out now. Feel better....Yours, Lenora.

Wolfcub

To the best of my knowledge, we can't access British herbs on Amazon. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate knowing it.
I think lots of herbs are available on Amazon.com. Some might, some might not be. I just checked for Blackberry Leaf and it was there, as loose herb and as tea. There are many herbs grow where I live so that's why I gather my own when I can, plus they are free :D

Oh, and Vit. 'C' even in regular form can cause GI problems for me. I can see where the chewable form may be even worse. I was told many years ago by an Osteopath, that one shouldn't take Vit. C near bedtime as he found many patients suffered bladder irritation b/c of it. Just thought I'd pass that along to everyone.

You're right about vitamin C. It can cause diarrhea in very large doses, and could irritate the bladder if someone has a bladder problem. Too-high doses for a long time can cause kidney stones also, I think
Some of the chewables also have sorbitol. I can handle those up to about 3000mg, but usually only take 1000 maximum. I never found vitamin C did anything much for me generally with ME/CFS. But it does slightly acidify the stomach for a very short time.
I'm still not 100% sure I have some low stomach acid or not as the baking soda test comes up with random results.
I now can only go off what makes me feel a bit better soon after taking it, or what makes me feel a bit worse. That one chewable vit. C after food did seem to help a few times....but another time it made no difference

Last edited: