• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Birmingham News

hensue

Thank God Tina!!

I have seen nothing in our Fl or Ga papers and you got the Birmingham news.
Thank you for sharing it with us.
You should be pleased it was good.
Take care
Susie

usedtobeperkytina

Please go there and hit Facebook like or post a comment. I got the feeling the reporter is very interested in doing more stories. But, editor isn't convinced.

Reporter wanted it in main news section on Tuesday. But it was held for the Health Section on Thursday. And on the website, it is buried. So they need lots of phone calls, e-mails, etc.

This is editor's e-mail address: tscarritt@bhamnews.com

usedtobeperkytina

And by the way

And by the way, you will notice he did not use "chronic fatigue" but used "CFS" in subsequent references. I warned him that patients don't like that and it is not really accurate.

Tina

Lynn

Great article Tina. Hopefully other patients will use the press release you created and we will see many more to come. Thanks for sharing.

Lynn

muffin

Bravo Tina!! This is hard core proof that hitting the local papers, TV stations, etc. WILL get us attention. I have to go back and re-send the PR to my local papers esp. since we have major problems with the Medical Board in this state and their attacks on any doctor that even says a word about CFS/ME. They really run them out of the State.

Well done!!!! Once it does hit that newspaper the word will get spread and the public will read and realize that maybe they too have this disease and hit their doctors. So much good comes from doing something like this. Hugs -S

Recovery Soon

you will notice he did not use "chronic fatigue" but used "CFS"

I did notice that. Great job. I just sent this to the editor:

Thanks so much for you recent article on CFS. Unlike other media coverage your representation of this debilitating condition was very accurate. I have suffered for 4 years, when I abruptly fell ill on a Sunday in September 2006. Since then, I have lost a high six figure salaried job in television, the ability to exercise, and any semblance of a normal life.

Worse, this condition has been largely ignored by the media, and people like me have had to hide our disease because it is not taken seriously. Seeing articles like this gives me encouragement.

Please also be aware that the Alter study found that 6.5% of “Healthy” controls had the retrovirus in their blood. There are only 3 retroviruses- the most famous is HIV. Therefore 6.5% of the public is walking around carrying an HIV like virus, and do not know about it.

The most scary part is that these people are donating blood. In other words, the nation’s blood supply is likely contaminated with an HIV like Retrovrius.

Again, thanks for your great coverage of this invisible disease. I hope to see more of it in the near future. One million sick Americans are desperate for funding which has been ignored for decades.

Best Regards,

UPDATE- I also sent it to the reporter. He just contacted me back to see if I was in the Birmingham area, which I'm not, to do a story on. I told him I'll help if he needs it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Good job Tina!

Hey Tina,

I lived in Birmingham for 12 years and actually worked at the Univ of Alabama Medical Center. I was sick then too and had a doctor at the medical center. She was sympathetic but of course knew nothing helpful. Sorry to hear that there is still skepticism there. It was a great article though and it is a significant medical center so maybe someone there will take notice..... There was a lot of good work done there with candida research.

Great job! Interesting to know you are from Clay!

Sushi

onebush

Birmngham News

Hey Tina,

I lived in Birmingham for 12 years and actually worked at the Univ of Alabama Medical Center. I was sick then too and had a doctor at the medical center. She was sympathetic but of course knew nothing helpful. Sorry to hear that there is still skepticism there. It was a great article though and it is a significant medical center so maybe someone there will take notice..... There was a lot of good work done there with candida research.

Great job! Interesting to know you are from Clay!

Sushi

Hi Tina,

Wow, The Birmingham News. I am near Montgomery. I am not sure where Clay is. There are not many doctors around here that know how to deal with this. I recently came back from Nancy Klimas's new clinic and immune testing like I have never seen. I paln to write about it went I get a few brain to rub together. I went twice..one for testing and then back..wamted to be there in person for results and treatment plan. I think I finally went top the right place.

Margaret