• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bioelectromagnetic Therapy Part I

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Someone just sent me an e-mail asking me if I knew of anyone who'd tried bioelectromagnetic therapy.

Bioelectromagnetic Therapy of Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome and Magnetic Field Deficiency Syndrome/Electrical Sensitivity Trent W. Nichols, MD.
Advanced Magnetic Research Institute, Hanover PA, USA. email: twnichol@blazenet.net

http://www.ebab.eu.com/iss1_html/rtcl4/ESS1Nichols.htm

Abstract

Electrical Sensitivity (ES)/Magnetic Field Deficiency Syndrome (MFDS) are often seen in patients with Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS)/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFIDS). There is much overlap between these syndromes and chronic exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF) is common among them. Electrical Hypersensitivity (EHS) is the term the WHO prefers and recommended that research be funded to identify the relationship between EMF and EHS.
EMFs are endogenous to the human body and directional signals are used in development and repair. Static Magnetic Field (SMF) therapy and DC Electromagnetic Field (DEMF) therapy have been shown in pilot studies to be beneficial in these syndromes. Possible hypothesis of their mechanism of action of DEMF are increase of cell dehydration.

Introduction
Electrical Sensitivity (ES)/ Magnetic Field Deficiency Syndrome (MFDS) are often seen in patients with Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FMS)/ Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome (CFIDS). A history of chronic exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMF) is common. Exposure to EMFs created by computers and other electronic equipment can be obtained by taking a full history. Patients with CFIDS/ FMS will often complain of increased sensitivity to electronic equipment. Some may report inability to use computers, quartz wrist watches or other electronic appliances.

Fibromylagia Syndrome (FMS) is a syndrome of a widespread musculoskeletal pain and fatigue disorder for which the cause is still unknown. From our observations in at least 20 percent of FMS patients there is sensitivity to electromagnetic fields. Devin Starlanyl, MD, has observed this phenomenon consistently in patients with FMS. “Some of us stop watches, some can’t sleep if there is a full moon, or feel wired or energized by electrical storms, and the noise of fluorescent lights can drive us up the wall.” (Starlanyl, 1996)

Electromagnetic sensitivity (ES) is a progressive, disabling disease associated with exposure to electromagnetic fields, now classified as “hypersensitivity to electromagnetic fields, EMF”, created by computers and other electronic equipment.

Dr William Rea, a pioneer in environmental medicine, has medically documented the existence of electromagnetic sensitivity in a double-blind study. He found that primary medical symptoms were neurological, musculoskeletal, respiratory, gastrointestinal and dermal. His conclusions were that hypersensitive persons are able to detect and identify weak fields (Rea, 1991). Gangi and Johansson reported that the central nervous system is affected with dizziness, tiredness, headache, epilepsy and slurred speech (Gangi and Johansson, ob cit).

Whatever its cause, electromagnetic hypersensitivity or EHS is a real and sometimes a disabling problem for the affected persons, while the level of EMFs in their vicinity is usually no greater than is encountered in normal living environments. Their exposures are generally several orders of magnitude under the limits of internationally accepted standards.

Chronic fatigue syndrome

EMFs are endogenous to the human body. Embryonic L/R, Up/ Down development is dependent on endogenous electrical fields. Directional signals in development, repair and invasion are due to endogenous electrical fields (Robinson, Messerli, 2003). Endogenous electrical fields from the body originate primarily from the brain and heart, and EEG and ECG are commonplace diagnostic tests.

Review of the clinical studies on Static Magnetic Field (SMF) therapy and DC Electromagnetic (DEMF) therapy in Fibromyalgia / Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency Syndrome/Magnetic Field Deficiency Syndrome/ Electrical Sensitivity.

Six patients were selected from the practice of a Toronto internist, Dr Demarco, with most chronic, intransigent CFIDS in which other protocols were only partially successful. A study using magnetic sleep pads placed under the mattress was used for four months.

Sleep pads were designed to produce a unidirectional magnetic field, to envelope the patient’s body, of about .0006T (Tesla) or 6 gauss, which would pass through the body. This was accomplished by laminating small, ceramic magnets 1 inch apart into a pad placed between the mattress and box springs of the patient’s bed. Four larger magnets were placed in a headboard producing 0.55T or 55 gauss at the centre of the head in a field perpendicular to the field produced by the bed pad.

Each patient was assessed prior to the study using an interview and review of each patient’s medical record. The following five questions were used as the categories for evaluation:

• 1. How many hours of sleep?
  • 2. What is the patient’s sense of well-being or optimism?
  • 3. How many hours of work do the patient do per week?
  • 4. What is the level of fatigue after exercise?
  • 5. What is the patient’s comparative state of cognitive ability?

At the end of four months each patient was again interviewed and assessed under the same five categories. The study administrators scored the evaluations and then compared results. Their scores matched in 25 of 30 evaluations. All patients showed improvement. Three patents improved in three of five categories, and two patients improved in four of five categories. One patient improved in all categories. There was an indication of improvement in 22 of 30 scores, or 72 percent. The authors considered the use of magnetic energy induction in the treatment of CFIDS to be efficacious in this small, pilot study (Demarco, Bonlie, 1994).

A similar, double-blind, placebo-control study by Dr Lewis in Toronto in which 29 MFDS/ FMS patients were randomized to the same above magnetic pad or placebo.The study asked the question: does the induction of a 3 gauss (.003T) magnetic field affect the improvement of symptoms associated with the following five categories?

• 1. General health improvement
  • 2. Energy level improvement
  • 3. Pain decrease at pressure points
  • 4. Sleep improvement
  • 5. Medication required.

The 20 patients in the enhanced magnetic field had an average improvement in their condition of 34.5 percent, whereas the nine placebo patients had 14.4 percent improvement. Statistical analysis of the results indicated a probability of p<.01 for active pad improvement in symptoms compared to placebo pad (Lewis, Bonlie, Miller, 1998).

The DC 0.5 T (5000 gauss) electromagnetic field therapy (DEMF) is a treatment method that is hypothesized to address all the areas above except acupuncture. The DEMF is a novel treatment modality with the patient lying in the focal point between large and strong non-pulsed DC electromagnets (3,000 to 5,000 gauss).

DEMF has been used on over 1,400 patients in North America under IRB-approved studies for Neurodegenerative and Orthodegenerative diseases as an experimental device, including patients with Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, peripheral neuropathy, post-stroke impairment, incomplete spinal cord lesions, autism, herniated disc, osteoarthritis, fracture healing and sports injuries.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Bioelectromagnetic Therapy II

DEMF Clinical experience with FMS/ CFIDS/ ES

Twenty-four out of 25 patients with FMS/ CFIDS/ES under an IRB-approved protocol were treated successfully, showing reduction of symptoms with DEMF from 28-200 hrs. After reading and signing an informed consent, all patients were positioned on the bed with their heads under the focal point between the two magnets for 3-5 hours initially, then for periods up to 20 hours per day. Patients were treated for as many consecutive days as possible. The total number of hours varied for each patient. Patients were continued on the same dose of prescribed medications if taken prior to the study.

Patients were evaluated after each session by the treating DEMF physician and progress noted on a Global Physician Assessment. Patient-rated review of symptoms were logged daily. Side-effects were limited to occasional dizziness, or headache and/or sweating, thought to be due to detoxification. If patients experienced metallic taste, then DMSA (Chemet 500 mg) was prescribed for heavy metal chelation from amalgam fillings and this reduced the above-mentioned side-affects.

Synopsis of six FMS/CFIDS/ and four ES patients treated with MME are as follows:
  • • 33y/o white female with FMS, CFIDS, ES complaining of muscle aching, fatigue, dizzy spells, poor digestion and nausea for 8 years. She had been treated with physiotherapy, US, chiropractic, photon therapy, colonics, IV vitamins, and nutritional therapy for detoxification, which gave temporary relief. MME treatment of 165 hrs reduced trigger points by 90 percent, while fatigue was reduced by 50 percent. Dizziness and nausea associated with ES was eliminated and digestion improved.
  • • TK 32 y/o white male with a diagnosis of FMS for 2 years with muscle aching, fatigue and carpal tunnel. Following 15 hours of DEMF was able to use wrist without pain, with decrease in muscle aching and no fatigue.
  • • 63 y/o former teacher with CFIDS, chemical sensitivity/ES and muscle pain, and history of school fire with toxic PCB smoke exposure. Was treated with 100 mg/d chelation with DMSA. This resulted in marginal improvement. After 90 hours MME + DMSA 500mg x 6 d heo aches or pains and no ES.
  • • 55 y/o housewife with FM/CFIDS following car accident six years ago with extreme pain in upper body, low strength and poor mental clarity. 145 hours of DEMF resulted in 90 percent improvement of all conditions. She was referred after MME to a practitioner of NUCCA (form of cranial sacral adjustment) for re-positioning of C-1. At follow-up one month later the patient was doing well.
  • • 60 y/o priest with FMS, multiple chemical sensitivities and ES, had the symptoms for nine years. Prior to DEMF the patient had taken some EDTA chelation with some improvement. However, he was still vulnerable to chemicals, computers, perfume, etc, with low strength and stamina, and muscle pain. MME for 111 hours resulted in dramatic improvement and he felt normal again.
  • • 55 y/o registered nurse, was unable to work as a school nurse for one year with FMS/chemical sensitivity/ES for eight years. She suffered from depression, head fog, generalized aches, muscle pain, and chemical sensitivity. Nutritional therapy for detoxification, guaifenesine, and chiropractic gave slight improvement. DEMF for 39.5 hours, plus 500mg DMSA for 10 days, resulted in marked improvement of all symptoms. The patient was able to return to work. Follow-up at two years showed continuing improvement.

Hypothesis for DEMF in FMS /CFIDS/ MFDS/ ES
In vivo magnetic resonance spectroscopy (MRS) of muscles and brain of patients with chronic fatigue suggest a cellular metabolic abnormality in some patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). One hour MRS of the regional brain areas in CFS has shown increased peaks of choline derived from the cell membrane phospholipids. Cell membrane oxidative stress may offer an explanation for the observed MRS changes seen (Chaudhuri, Behan, 2004).

Oxidative stress has also been implicated in FMS. Eighty-five female patients with FMS were evaluated for oxidant/antioxidant balance by Bagis and associates. Malondialdehyde is a toxic metabolite of lipid peroxidation and is used as a marker of free radical damage. Malondialdehyde levels were significantly higher and superoxide dismutase levels significantly lower in fibromyalgia patients than controls. In conclusion, these findings may support the hypothesis of fibromyalgia as an oxidant disorder (Bagis et al, 2003).

Ayrapetyan demonstrated that the study of the metabolic regulation of cell volume is extremely important. Cell swelling leads to the increase in the number of functionally active protein molecules in the cell membrane, while shrinking leads to their decrease (Ayrapetyan, 2001). Bennett and Huxlin showed that cell over-hydration precedes cell death (Bennett and Huxlin, 1996).

There are many publications in the scientific literature concerning the two modes of cell death, apoptosis and necrosis, which are characterized by corresponding cell volume changes. The action of DEMF (0.5T) may be due to decreasing the hyper-hydration of cells and thereby preventing the necrosis of neurons and muscle or necrosis caused by tissue damage. Proper regulation of cell volume would also prevent the premature apoptosis of cells secondary to cell volume decrease. MME is hypothesized to increase the velocity of valence electrons of atoms and induces a DC current. Antioxidant protective enzymes may therefore be up-regulated in response to DEMF, based on Walleczek’s report of a resonance temporal type (intensity window) for enzymatic reactions (Walleczek, 1995). Additionally, up-regulation of endogenous stem cells may explain the sustained increase in nerve conduction in patients with diabetic neuropathy treated with MME (Nichols, Pearce, Bonlie, 2004).

Conclusions

Static magnetic field (SMF) therapy and DC electromagnetic field (DEMF) therapy have been shown in these pilot studies to be beneficial in FMS/CFIDS/MFDS/ ES. The studies reported, although limited by size and controls in the DEMF pilot study, will be addressed in the near future by a controlled double-blind, multi-centre study of MME in diabetic peripheral neuropathy.!

jenbooks

I met Trent Nichols at a conference some years ago and had a conversation with him for a few hours. He's smart and I liked him. I remember him talking about his magnet machines. He had lyme but was doing well with it. He's the one who told me about Comitras--the atrium (now Douglass Labs)frozen shark cartilage. He said, "It's expensive but it really helps." That's true.

Chris

that electromagnetic stuff

Cort, many thanks for posting this; since I live in an apartment building topped by a forest of spiky cell phone and TV emitters, I am concerned, and may well move soon. The study described seems to use simple magnets; the Bemer 3000 is much more complex, and recently I was given a free session on an MSR 2000, a close relative of the Bemer 3000, which an apparently independent researcher ( http://www.pemft.org/index.html) rates as a step above the Bemer--Federer apparently uses the Bemer, Lance Armstrong the MSR--take you pick! These things use Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields, and in one form or other have been used for years to do things like help broken bones knit together. I found an interesting paper by Marko S. Markov, a primary researcher, at http://www.curatron.com/pdf/PEMFenvironmentalist.pdf --he makes nice comments on the Curatron, another competitor, which is why it is on their website.
I have not found yet any specific trials of these machines with CFS, but all kinds of claims are made, and people seem to be having good experiences--and did a Bemer play a large part in Mike's astonishing recovery? Would love to hear more about that.
My session seemed to produce some change, but since I had just come from a session with a BioMat, I don't know which was responsible. I aim to explore further, since a local store will rent time on the MSR--it is very, very expensive up here in Canada, and don't think I can afford to buy one.
I hope anyone else with any experience of these machines will keep us updated--I will post any future experiences here. Best wishes, Chris

Chris

PS to last post!

Cort, just checked out the MSR 2000 website--found it not deeply informative, and when just for fun I clicked on the purchase offer, found the response signed by no other than Bryant Meyers, who on the site I quoted wrote "I am not representing a particular company or product." So--again--whom can you really trust? Sorry about that.
It does also seem odd to explore a machine using electromagnetic impulses on a thread triggered by a post offering evidence of the dangers of exposure to electromagnetic fields. Another verson of homeopathy? I suspect we ought to know more about this stuff than most of us actually do as of now. Best, Chris

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
That was my first thought; how weird to use this electromagnetic therapy to combat the effects of electromagnetic poisoning - but I know nothing about how it works......Interesting about Lance and Federer! We're in pretty good company. Honestly I think both those guys are probably pretty smart; if they're using it can't be too out there. :cool: