• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

big food/stomach issues

Tammie

I posted this in the symptoms section, then realized that (duh!) there is a gut section, so I am re-posting it here.....

over the last yr my MCS (I think that's what is causing this - have not totally ruled out everything else though) has increasingly limited which foods I can eat......finally figured out all the ones that cause vomiting, so I have eliminated those

now, the VERY few foods that are left are ALL causing diarrhea.....& the kind where I have almost no warning....so far no actual accidents, but this is so NOT fun, and is making it incredibly hard to hang onto my eating disorder recovery, too

and I think that it is effecting my electrolytes, too, bc I have been passing out a lot lately

I do have a Dr appt next week, so I am obviously going to bring this up with him, but I am feeling the need to write about it now.

IntuneJune

food issues

Tammie stated "the kind where I have almost no warning"

That is how my intestines were reacting when I had severe undiagnosed gluten... and because it did not get diagnosed properly, it got worse.

As soon as I rooted out ALL, every last drop, of gluten, all the hidden stuff, it cleared up.

Not that this is your problem, I do not know your history and you did say you have already eliminated trigger foods. Gluten is insidious, though.

Good luck Tammie

June

Misfit Toy

I have become allergic to almost all foods. Back in 2002, I was able to eat wheat and most foods. I think I may have over 28 food allergies to the point that if I cut out everything I am supposed to, I basically wouldn't be eating. This past December I had a really expensive blood test that was sent to Europe looking at my blood and to see if I am missing a certain amino acid which allows you to not have food allergies. An autoimmune defect that can be corrected with one shot per month...possibly. I am excited for this. I need to be able to eat to.

citybug

When it's happened to me it's been parasites. Labs don't always find them, but sometimes. Lately had bad flu, then more sensitive to foods. trying oxymatrine, some homeopathics, almost beat it then it comes back.
Last year was bad then dose of antibiotics for something else cleared it up.
Trying artesunate now, but in past Herbs Etc. Montezuma's Relief helped me (sweet annie and quassia and some other stuff).

Tammie

Thanks for the responses

InTuneJune.....I have thought about the gluten possibility, but am really hoping that's not causing the diarrhea, bc pretty much the only foods that do not come back up have gluten in them except peanut butter & I can hardly live on PB (plus even though it stays down, it does still make me feel very queasy)

spitfire, do you know the name of the amino acid you might be missing so I can ask my Dr to test me for that?

kdp.....as to parasites, that is another definite possibility based on symptoms, but I do regularly take some supplements that should get rid of those if I have any....still I know that those are not a guarantee, by any means.....since parasites are difficult to find, what tests are good at finding them?

Hysterical Woman

I posted this in the symptoms section, then realized that (duh!) there is a gut section, so I am re-posting it here.....

over the last yr my MCS (I think that's what is causing this - have not totally ruled out everything else though) has increasingly limited which foods I can eat......finally figured out all the ones that cause vomiting, so I have eliminated those

now, the VERY few foods that are left are ALL causing diarrhea.....& the kind where I have almost no warning....so far no actual accidents, but this is so NOT fun, and is making it incredibly hard to hang onto my eating disorder recovery, too

and I think that it is effecting my electrolytes, too, bc I have been passing out a lot lately

I do have a Dr appt next week, so I am obviously going to bring this up with him, but I am feeling the need to write about it now.

Hi Tammie,

Sorry to hear about your gut issues - it is so frustrating!! I am now using kefir (goat's milk usually) and taking slipper elm. Both seem to be helping so I wanted to post that info here. Good luck with your struggle.

Take care,

HW

Carrigon

Whenever this happens to me, I do a plain rice and babyfood diet. Basically, I cut out all dairy, wheat, all that stuff and just have very plain, bland food. I usually have to do this alot anyway because of the acid problems. But upset stomachs can be alot of things. I had some kind of amoebic dysentery once from a bad bottled water and had to be on med for it. Parasites can definitely cause it. Giardia is a big one. The doctor always told me to have jello in my diet for stomach problems because it's easily digested.

Tammie

HW, thanks for the suggestions.....I have been using kefir for quite some time now w/o any difference, but I have not heard of slippery elm before....will definitely have to look into it

Tammie

Carrigon, oddly enough I cannot even eat rice.....I know that sounds nuts as it's usually the first solid food given to babbies bc usually no one reacts to it, but for whatever crazy reason, it will not stay down for me

I have tried some babyfoods with some success, but even many of those are not working, either....and they do not fill me up (unless I want to spend a ton of money on them).....still I do keep some around, bc they are better than nothing at this point

as to the jello, there is absolutely no nutrition in it at all, but your Dr is rt that it's easy to digest.....I wonder if it might help to somehow buffer other foods, though.....I may have to try that - if nothign else it tastes good : )

Carrigon

Did you try brown rice, or just the white? My friend got intolerant to white rice, but she can have brown.

There are things you can do with jello, particularly unflavored gelatin. You can put fruit in it or juice.

Francelle

Tammie - apart from vomiting what exactly are your symptoms?

Have you looked into Gastroparesis (GP) which has nothing to do with food allergies or intolerances but rather to stomach paralysis - another of the issues of this DD. GP is a form of autonomic neuropathy (nerve damage) which may be of a post viral cause.

starryeyes

Tammie, those are extreme gut issues you're having. Sorry to hear that. :hug:

I've found daily psyllium to be very helpful for me. It helps hold everything together and form better stools plus it helps with constipation. We often suffer from both ends of the spectrum at once. Psyllium is in Metamucil but I like the more natural products from Trader Joes or the health food store.

I use a tablespoon and a half with a half a glass of water, stir it and let it get before I drink it as that way works best for me. This is not following the directions btw. The psyllium pills don't work for me.

I hope you can find foods you can handle.

teej

dannybex

as to the jello, there is absolutely no nutrition in it at all, but your Dr is rt that it's easy to digest.....I wonder if it might help to somehow buffer other foods, though.....I may have to try that - if nothign else it tastes good : )

Actually, there is nutrition in jello -- the gelatin has been found to be helpful for healing the gut -- at least according to the Weston Price folks. But yeah, all the sugar and those artificial colors aren't good...so if you could, it might help to get some unflavored gelatin -- and add it to the baby foods or other things you're eating.

??? :)