• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Best antiviral for HHV-7?

I have very high HHV-7 PCR, so the virus is definitely in the blood and replicating. I doubt there is any way to know for sure if its relevant to my illness(i'm not immunosuppressed as T cell panel is normal but i do have hypogammaglobulinemia) but maybe i could try an antiviral and see if it works - which one would it be?

I'm still waiting on the results of VZV and a few other, if i get another positive i will update the thread but assuming it's just HHV-7 what would be the best antiviral? Valgancyclovir or valacyclovir would not work. In this case https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5548691/ they used Acyclovir but from what i understand it doesn't seem to work that well. What alternatives are there?

"Acyclovir was also used as a treatment for possible herpes simplex encephalitis, but this approach remains controversial because acyclovir and other thymidine kinase-dependent drugs are only marginally effective against HHV-7 (21). "

@Hip @Pyrrhus

Last edited:
By some pharmacokinetic calculations I did, I believe the intravenous antivirals cidofovir (Vistide) and foscarnet (Foscavir) should be potent antivirals for HHV-7. See this post.
Thank you Hip! Would you be willing to post this calculations? I'm sure it will be impossible to convince a doctor without those...

Hip

Thank you Hip! Would you be willing to post this calculations? I'm sure it will be impossible to convince a doctor without those...

I don't think the calculations of an amateur like me will be sufficient to convince a doctor. You would really need a published study. The calcs (which are not quite finished) are in a large table, which I can't post on the forum, as it does not support tables. I am trying to set up that table on another external website, but it's taking time to do that.

I know that some of the ME/CFS doctors do test and treat HHV-7, and so they might have clinical knowledge regarding the efficacy of cidofovir or foscarnet for HHV-7. Dr Dan Peterson is the ME/CFS doctor who I think has the most experience with these two antivirals.

In this presentation by Peterson, he mentions that HHV-7 can be treated with antivirals, but does not specify which.