• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Benzo R'X Doctors in California?

Davsey27

Curious if anyone can recommend a Doctor in the Bay Area who Rx's benzos?.Klonopin,Ativan

My Us residence is in Folsom

I am usually able to obtain these in Mexico but it would probably be more difficult in the US with DEA regs.

Thank You

YippeeKi YOW !!

I think that's going to be tough to find. California has one of the most restrictive drug laws around, and most Drs are leery of crossing those lines.

If you can present with a reason for the prescription that covers their professional arses, you stand a pretty good chance.

Good luck, tho why you want to open that door to bottomless horror beats me. Coming off any benzo is total hell, in proportions, shapes, and quantities that are unimaginable ....

Davsey27

Hi Yipee,

I originally i was prescribed Klonopin and Gabapentin in Atlanta by a Psychiatrist for a 3 month supply that i took to Mexico.That 3 month Supply lasted me closer to 5 months.

It helps with ME/CFS sensory overload and anxiety as well as EMF sensitivity.
Took it for a year then slowly tapered down to .25 mg every other day for close
to 1month as my symptoms improved in Winter in Mexico

Then it got hot here in Mexico and the bright sunlight was overstimulating and then the symptoms returned.
I want return to California for a Social Security Case and stay with my family.

It would be helpful to have 3 months supply worth to taper down.I like to have these handy while tryung alternative therapies back in Cali...Out here in Mexico you can get Gabapentin over the counter and Klonopin is not that difficult to get a RX.Taken these two together seems to help the brain some and if i taper
down i would like to do so slowly and not run out.

Thank You

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

it is definitely not the same horror story for everyone.
The poll site you’ve referenced is 8 years old. The few newer posts are 5 years old.

36% of respondents stated they had no side effects, but 64% had experiences ranging from mild thru moderate to severe, to extremely severe ….. hardly a ringing endorsement.

The following quotes are taken directly from the site you’ve quoted as proving that its not the same horror story for everyone:

“Benzodiazepines can have their dark side, however. Long term use can lead to tolerance and dependence and problems with withdrawal. Even if they're not suffering from negative effects, some people who come off long term benzodiazepine use feel better.”

“Earlier this year, we combined a blog featuring the story of one chronic fatigue syndrome patient's struggle to get off Klonopin (clonezepam) with a survey. Already taking high levels of Klonopin (3 mgs/day), the person with the difficult withdrawal had been advised to up her dose by her doctor. She refused, but she still ended up in a detoxification center fighting to get off the drug.”

“Approximately 45% of the survey takers had stopped Klonopin at some point. While most got off the drug easily, a substantial number of people had significant problems doing so.”

Another Klonopin patient was reported in the poll’s accompanying posts as having committed suicide.

Everyone’s entitled to choose their own poison, and dealing with this illness is painfully difficult, but relying on an artificial crutch that downregulates GABA receptors and leaves the patient dependent on a drug that damages their own endogenous defense systems is a patently bad idea. At least it seems so to me.

Klonopin was initially developed to copete with Dilantin in the treatment of epilepsy. When the income stream from that proved unsatisfactory, Roche started putting it out to Drs thru their army of attractive sales reps that using Klonopin for depression, anxiety, and sleep problems was an acceptable off-label use. Ther sales figures exploded.

Roche’s own monograph on Klonopin recommends no more that .25 to max .50 mg doses for no longer than 4 to 6 weeks.

The following quote from Cort along with my response to it indicates the limited understanding of what these drugs do in terms of potential long term, sometimes life-long, damage:

Cort said:
Here's a weird thing about benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome - if you become tolerant, getting off benzo's can actually make the neurons more excitable - not less

My response:
It dosn't " .... make the neurons more excitable ....".

All benzodiazepines operate thru GABAa receptors, and in doing so, down regulate them until there essentially are none left. So when the benzo is withdrawn, the normal calming effect of GABA is non-existent, having been over-riddden by the artificial GABA effect of the benzos, and will remain that way until the receptors can slowly and painful re-establish, which can take anywhere from many many months to years. .....